Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Should Luis Arraez Bat Leadoff?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,114 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:37 PM

Yes and Yes.

#22 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,114 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:38 PM

Arraez

Polanco

Donaldson

Cruz

Kepler

Sano

Rosario

Garver

Buxton

• Rosterman and DocBauer like this

#23 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 497 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 21 July 2020 - 06:09 PM

I think he`s made to lead off & thrives on that challenge. Maybe he should be given the chance to lead until it becomes apparent that he shouldn`t or maybe he needs to grow into it. To me sooner or later he`ll be lead off but Baldelli knows better than I do

#24 Thegrin

Thegrin

• 1,108 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 21 July 2020 - 06:14 PM

Sophomore jinx! Remember the sophomore jinx? It exists for a reason. Pressure!This, being a short season means more pressure.Therefore no.No. NO! Do not bat Arraez first. Let him bat 8th.With the Twins current lineup, it won't make much difference.No pressure at #8.Give Arraez 30 games to reassure himself that he belongs.Then bat him first if it STILL seems to be advantageous.But, to start, DO NOT BAT ARRAEZ FIRST!

• wabene likes this

#25 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• 187 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 07:16 AM

I'm 100% in the camp that Arraez should hit leadoff.Yes, he's not the fastest, but remember the Big Red Machine lineups of the 70's.Pete Rose wasn't faster than Joe Morgen, Bobby Tolan or Caesar Geronimo, but he hit leadoff (even though Morgen was an on-base machine as well and a far superior stolen base threat).My Twins Lineup:

1.ArraezHe's an on-base machine.A tremendous table setter.

2.DonaldsonAlso great on-base to go with power.Still above average speed.

3.CruzI'm a believer in your BEST hitter hitting #3.Cruz is our BEST.

4.KeplerTime for some LH power.Kepler keeps improving.Give him a chance to drive in 100+

5.PolancoThis is a more traditional spot for power, but Polanco is a very good hitter and gives us switch hit ability.He's kind of the glue to hold the entire lineup together.

6. SanoThis is a traditional power spot and Sano is starting to show signs of being a monster.

7. Rosario At times I've had Eddie 8th, but I think #7 fits for him.Gives us a LH power bat behind Sano

8. Garver ridiculously low for Garve-Sauce, I know.I expect him to be close to what he did last year but Garver hitting 8th lets us plug Avila into the 8-hole when Mitch takes a break.

9. BuxtonEver since he arrived in the big leagues I've wanted Buck to hit leadoff.Arraez is just better suited, and Buck in the 9-hole as has been stated before, with Arraez behind him gives Buck a chance to RUN. A LOT more than he has so far in his career.Straight steals and hit-and-run action with Buxton and Arraez is exciting baseball.

That's my lineup.Guys like Kiriloff, Lewis, Larnach and Rooker could make this exercise even MORE interesting.

• LA VIkes Fan and DocBauer like this

#26 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 514 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 07:33 AM

I think professional athletes are some of the most competitive people in the world, and they'd probably want to win a backyard wiffle ball game against their own children, lol. It's going to be weird, but it's still the best baseball players in the world competing against one another.

From a fan's perspective, this year will be viewed differently, but I still care and want to see the Twins win it all.

I think they would rather win the back yard Wiffle Ball game than one of these 60 TV exhibition games.

The "standings" will show a bunch of .500 +/- teams and resemble Grapefruit lineups for the most part. Maybe even some split squad games if they fall behind in the schedule.

#27 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,738 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:42 AM

I think it is more important that the Twins spread out Rosario, Kepler and Arraez. This will Make it difficult to bring in a lefty like Cleveland’s Perez.

As for who should lead off the three with Polanco have about the same ZIPS RC/27 projection. Arraez is the lowest of the 4 but it is close. I think I would have the lefties in slots 1,4,7 or possibly 2,5,8. If 147 I would lead off with Arraez and hit Kepler 4th. If 258 I would lead off with Polanco followed by Kepler with Arraez 8th.

#28 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,658 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:46 PM

Bringing this OP back up front again.

I think we all agree that you could draw names out of a hat and put together a lineup that is dangerous and makes sense.

But that is also a "good problem" to have. I mean, really, Donaldson, Cruz, you could plug them in 2-5 and not be wrong. How about Sano when he gets his legs under him?

But Kepler, Polanco and Arraez are the most "interesting" pieces in the lineup to consider aren't they? All 3 have the ability to hit almost anywhere. How do you mess with what Kepler did last year? Except, maybe his production and power would be even better lower. We've seen Molitor and Rocco place Polanco anywhere from 1-5 and he produces, and seems to fit. Arraez could be devastating hitting with Buxton at the bottom of the order, or provide a completely different kind of dangerous contact/AVG hitter in a 6 or 7 spot after some power guys and ahead of further dangerous batters.

Maybe I'm just old school. But I want my top hitters to work and frustrate the pitcher. I've always believed in the most balanced lineup you can put together but have believed in a "depth" approach. The leadoff HR is AWESOME, but doesn't happen enough to make a difference IMO. I want the opposition's team to struggle as much as they can the 1st inning so that everyone can see what they have that day. (Not to mention the umpire which is a whole different topic).

I'm not sure if Donaldson should hit #2 or not. He's done great there in his career, but he's also done great a couple spots lower. Kepler did great in the #1 spot last year, but could be even more productive hitting lower with guys OB. Personally, I'd have Arraez doing what he does in the #1 spot, getting hits and OB, workjng the count, and frustrating the pitcher.

We can debate how the rest of the lineup works best, Polanco vs Donaldson, etc. But I really want that guy who sets the tone at #1. With all due respect to Max, I just think that guy should be Arraez.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#29 twins1095

twins1095

Ft Myers Miracle

• 268 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:27 AM

Arraez with a cool 26 pitches seen in 4 plate appearances (6.5 pitches per plate appearance) in his first game as a leadoff hitter this season. 

• DocBauer likes this

#30 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,573 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:05 AM

Yes, the object is to get as many pitches see. Plus he can work a count and also get on base. I would bat Kepler 5th. I would bat Polanco second and Donaldson third.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#31 twins1095

twins1095

Ft Myers Miracle

• 268 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 12:04 PM

Yes, the object is to get as many pitches see. Plus he can work a count and also get on base. I would bat Kepler 5th. I would bat Polanco second and Donaldson third.

I haven't read a lot of lineups yet, but here's mine:

I think I would go Arraez/Donaldson 1-2 given that Arraez seems to be proving that he wasn't a 1-year wonder. 

Arraez and Donaldson are the Twins best on-base players. Donaldson walked over 100 times last year. I want them up as many time as possible, especially in front of Cruz/Kepler/Sano/Rosario who can/will drive them in. 

I would go Cruz 3rd, again because he gets on base as much or more than both Arraez and Donaldson... but also because you put the Twins 2 best OBP guys in front of Cruz and maximize the number of ABs that Cruz gets in a given game. 

4th, you probably need a left-handed hitter. This means Polanco/Kepler/Rosario. I think I'd probably go Kepler/Polanco/Garver/Sano/Rosario/Buxton to finish out the lineup. 

I think of that group of 4 as another mini 1-4 lineup. Polanco is your second best "prototypical" leadoff hitter in terms of his ability to consistently make contact and get on base in that fashion. Garver actually gets on base more than Polanco... he's also extremely productive on a per AB basis.

This maximizes the number of times runners are on after you turn over that first 4 for Sano & Rosario. I generally think that Sano is a more dangerous hitter than Rosario because he gets on base more and has more power. Lastly, because Polanco/Garver/Sano all get on base at a .350+ clip...you maximize baserunners for Rosario.

Basically, you're putting 2 guys with a .380-.400 OBP on for Cruz... 3 guys with a .380-.400 OBP guy for Kepler... maximizing the ABs of your 2 best hitters Donaldson/Cruz... and then doing the same with Sano/Rosario.

Buxton, then, is the x-factor. In the 9-spot, with Arraez at leadoff... you get to pair up Buxton and Arraez to play a little 2-man game with Arraez's contact skills and ability to put the ball in play and in gaps and Buxton's speed. Tons of fun.

1-Arraez

2-Donaldson

3-Cruz

4-Kepler

5-Polanco

6-Garver

7-Sano (I am fine switching Garver and Sano up here)

8-Rosario

9-Buxton

Edit - It's actually pretty funny because looking at it that way, 1-4 & 5-8 are pretty similar. Arraez is a similar player to Polanco, but he's got better OBP skills with less power. Garver & Donaldson are pretty similar in terms of their playstyle with a lot of patience and big time power. Sano is basically a poor man's Nelson Cruz. Rosario is a poor man's Kepler in a lot of ways. 

#32 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,662 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:30 PM

I always want the fastest baserunner hitting directly in front of the best OBP guys as many times as possible - wherever that is in the lineup.

In the Twins' case, every time Buxton gets on base Arraez is up behind him. That, assuming he can get on base, provides a good chance to move him into scoring position for the top of the lineup. (And is there any Arraez double he couldn't score on?) If he doesn't get on, then you still have a chance of Arraez being on base before turning it over to Kepler. 

It's a good problem to have.

The caveat to this, of course, is that Arraez adjusts to the league's adjustments to him faster than they can adjust to his readjustments.

I've seen nothing so far that makes me think that can't or won't happen, but it's always good to remember he's still young and only has about 2/3 of a full season under his belt.