Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Byron Buxton Carted Off Field During Twins Scrimmage

byron buxton
  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,737 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:48 AM

You want Marwin playing center field? Not me. He is pretty much only subsistence level in the outfield at this point

Marwin plays right. Kepler moves to center.

#42 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,737 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:51 AM

Yeah I think the issue is that with no Sano or Buxton, Marwin can only cover one of those positions. I suppose Tortuga could play first base but he's also on the Covid-DL.

Get used to it. Teams are going to have guys come down with Covid-19 all over the place, there are going to be tons of games where only half the roster is recognizable, I fear.

• SQUIRREL likes this

#43 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,505 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:56 AM

If Buxton doesn't already have a nickname it should be Charmin.

I get the joke but this seems...highly offensive.

• rdehring likes this

#44 HawksNest

HawksNest

Ft Myers Miracle

• 363 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:02 AM

What a shame. Guy has to be the most injury-prone player I can possibly remember.

#45 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 896 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:25 AM

I get the joke but this seems...highly offensive.

Would you prefer Bounty?

#46 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,065 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:54 AM

I am shocked - I saw the headline and thought this was a joke or an old post.It could not happen again and this soon.I feel sorry for Byron - how frustrating this must be. 

Please - not Marwin.Let's move down the line and get the prospects on the field if we have to fill spaces.  

Isn't there a real CF in the system?Celestino?He is on the 60 man.I would rather have someone who can field the position than another bat. 

I have never seen Celestino play, Mike. But from what I have read from Seth and others is that he is a major league ready center fielder now. Because he hasn't yet made the upper levels of minor league ball, his bat isn't ready.

• wabene likes this

#47 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 562 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:05 AM

If Buxton doesn't already have a nickname it should be Charmin.

I think he's from Fragile, Italy.

• howeda7 likes this

#48 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,762 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:16 AM

I think he's from Fragile, Italy.

Family hailed from Cantstayondafield, Russia

• Dave The Dastardly likes this

#49 twins_89

twins_89

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 546 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:29 AM

CF is unfortunately the one position where the Twins don't have a good replacement waiting in the wings. The only minor league options (Baddoo and Celestino) are at least a year away from realistically being able to compete in the majors, and the rest of the possibilities are corner outfielders who only play center when they have to (Kepler, Wade, and Cave). If Buxton is out for a significant amount of time I'm afraid Lewis is going to be switched to CF and I'm worried that the move would not be good for his career.

• birdwatcher and DocBauer like this

#50 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 896 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:42 AM

Family hailed from Cantstayondafield, Russia

It took me a second, but then I laughed

#51 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 11:19 AM

Rooker?

The bigger issue is having a guy whose true position is CF being ready. Celestino is still a few years away; the defense is probably good enough already, but he's likely to get overwhelmed at the plate.

Royce Lewis can probably do it, but a) they'd need him to spend at least a chunk of a minor league season learning the position right now...and once he moves to the OF it's hard to see him ever coming back to the INF. And despite Polanco and Arraez being locked in right now in the middle INF, I doubt the Twins are ready to move their top SS prospect out of there.

Dang it, Buxton just may be too injury prone. This sucks. I hope it's just a sprain and everyone (including me) is overreacting.

There has to be some reason why Lewis only played one game at SS in the AFL last year. He played 5 in CF and a dozen or so at 3b.

#52 Matthew Taylor

Matthew Taylor

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 11:32 AM

Update from Rocco Baldelli:

• Sconnie, Tom Froemming and DannySD like this

#53 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 11:51 AM

There has to be some reason why Lewis only played one game at SS in the AFL last year. He played 5 in CF and a dozen or so at 3b.

The reason was that Vidal Brujan from the Rays and Geraldo Perdomo from the D-Backs were the shortstops on the Salt River Rafters.

• birdwatcher, DocBauer and JLease like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#54 Bickle19

Bickle19

Elizabethton Twins

• 35 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:19 PM

You want Marwin playing center field? Not me. He is pretty much only subsistence level in the outfield at this point

Actually LF had graded out as his best position over the last few years. Kepler in CF, slide Rosario and his strong arm to RF and put Marwin in LF. Obviously not ideal, but manageable.

• birdwatcher likes this

#55 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,491 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:27 PM

Would you prefer Bounty?

I would actually try for no nickname that is meant in any kind of demeaning manner, or could be taken a such.

• jorgenswest, birdwatcher, Craig Arko and 3 others like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#56 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:48 PM

The reason was that Vidal Brujan from the Rays and Geraldo Perdomo from the D-Backs were the shortstops on the Salt River Rafters.

I guess I don’t know exactly how the AFL works but I would hope that teams sending guys there would have substantial input as to how they are used. They are there to learn, after all. What’s the point of teaching them the wrong things?

#57 Linus

Linus

• 2,492 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:57 PM

Marwin plays right. Kepler moves to center.

This what I don’t want as it weakens the outfield all the way around. I wanted a Maybin type player that would leave Max in right and Eddie in left
  • wabene likes this

#58 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

anthony adverb

• 9,821 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:20 PM

So... He's gonna be alright?

I am glad to hear... read that.

#59 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 533 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:22 PM

A different thought, and players can get hurt in any position, but should Buxton be shifted to a corner to reduce the opportunities for the kamikaze? 

#60 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 435 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:19 PM

Buxton fragility is driving me CRAZY. He’s going to lose speed too as he ages. Twins should consider other options longterm in CF.
  • wabene likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton