Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Byron Buxton Carted Off Field During Twins Scrimmage

byron buxton
  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:39 PM

I have not understood why the twins haven’t acquired a right handed hitting backup outfielder over the last several years. It’s been a need for a while....

Marwin Gonzalez?
  • DannySD likes this

#22 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,113 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:41 PM

I blame Randball for the curse.

• SQUIRREL and wabene like this

#23 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 963 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:43 PM

Maybe Buxton's body just isn't designed to play baseball. How do you get hurt in a scrimmage?
  • PDX Twin and SF Twins Fan like this

#24 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,468 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:49 PM

I am shocked - I saw the headline and thought this was a joke or an old post.It could not happen again and this soon.I feel sorry for Byron - how frustrating this must be. 

Please - not Marwin.Let's move down the line and get the prospects on the field if we have to fill spaces.  

Isn't there a real CF in the system?Celestino?He is on the 60 man.I would rather have someone who can field the position than another bat. 

• terrydactyls1947 and wabene like this

#25 Linus

Linus

• 2,492 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:54 PM

Marwin Gonzalez?

You want Marwin playing center field? Not me. He is pretty much only subsistence level in the outfield at this point
  • mikelink45 likes this

#26 BD57

BD57

• 207 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:43 PM

Probably best to wait for the diagnosis before freaking out.

Agree .... but Buxton's luck would have to radically change for this to "not cost him time."

• mikelink45 and jud6312 like this

#27 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,084 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:12 PM

7:39pm: (MLBTR) Buxton’s initial exam didn’t reveal any serious problems, according to manager Rocco Baldelli (via Hayes). They’re cautiously optimistic Buxton will be OK.

• jorgenswest, Danchat, Hosken Bombo Disco and 3 others like this

#28 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,711 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:28 PM

The latter, hopefully. What a shame. Dude can never catch a break.

This would be my hope, too. Cave is good as the 4th/5th OF, but I'd rather see one of the young guys out there every day. Maybe Rooker so it's not all lefties out there?

If Celestino had played above A+, he might be my pick because it would keep Max in RF.

• wabene likes this

#29 psturnbloom

psturnbloom

Elizabethton Twins

• 35 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:58 PM

This is getting quite frustrating. 

• jud6312 likes this

#30 highlander

highlander

• 280 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:57 AM

Marwins versatility strikes again. Would love to see Kiriloff get an opportunity.
  • curt1965 likes this

#31 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:22 AM

You want Marwin playing center field? Not me. He is pretty much only subsistence level in the outfield at this point

You said outfield not centerfield.

#32 Channing1964

Channing1964

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 742 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 14 July 2020 - 04:46 AM

Probably best to wait for the diagnosis before freaking out.

I have to agree. Of course they're going to be super careful if he even fouls a ball off his foot. If nothing is broken, Let's keep it together. Even if he misses two weeks it's still gonna be all right. We gave all seen him hurt himself before. This was nothing like that. Its gonna be okay.

#33 Channing1964

Channing1964

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 742 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 14 July 2020 - 04:54 AM

So what happens now? Max slides over and we get Cave/Wade platoon? Or does this open a door for Larnach/Kiriloff?

I am sure what is gonna happen is Kepler will play center, Rosario will move to right, and Gonzalez becomes the regular left fielder. They have a ton of flexibility but i think we all know the second best cf in the entire organization is still Kepler. (many would be surprised to learn Rosario is 3rd). This is not the end of the world and it doesn't mean Lewis is going to he rushed to the major league roster. If Buxton is not ready by opening day the replacement will be Gonzalez though he won't be in cf. No reason to freak out.
  • bighat likes this

#34 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,224 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:09 AM

I am hoping we see a little of Celestino. Maybe his bat is not quite there yet but it could speed things for him and keep Kep focused on one job. Unless he pulls a Polanco or Arraez surprise it's probably unlikely.

#35 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 435 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:39 AM

Some sports stars have made the transition to Hollywood. It looks like Buxton will be replacing Samuel L Jackson as “Mr Glass” in a series of “Unbreakable” sequels entitled “Very Breakable”.

#36 TwinsFan268

TwinsFan268

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 63 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:52 AM

It's been a week, we all knew this had to happen sometime.

i like rally squirrels and bombas, nothing more

#37 Trov

Trov

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 550 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:57 AM

This kid cannot catch a break.Catches a cleat in the turf.Not making some crazy catch in a scrimmage but a normal catch and hurts himself.I hate to call him injury prone, but pretty sure he has injured every body part at this point in his career.It is not that he has a nagging issue that just does not heal, but something new each time it seems like.This could not have been prevented from telling him to not go all out, from how it was described that he caught a cleat.  

I hope he comes back quickly for his own sake, not just the Twins.  

• DocBauer likes this

#38 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 542 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:04 AM

We have to have a true CF to substitute Buxton, Kepler is much better in RF & it takes a lot out of him to play CF. That kinda leaves Wade, Celestino or Lewis whichever one proves the most he can hit in the majors. 

• wabene likes this

#39 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 813 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:17 AM

I have not understood why the twins haven’t acquired a right handed hitting backup outfielder over the last several years. It’s been a need for a while....

Rooker?

The bigger issue is having a guy whose true position is CF being ready. Celestino is still a few years away; the defense is probably good enough already, but he's likely to get overwhelmed at the plate.

Royce Lewis can probably do it, but a) they'd need him to spend at least a chunk of a minor league season learning the position right now...and once he moves to the OF it's hard to see him ever coming back to the INF. And despite Polanco and Arraez being locked in right now in the middle INF, I doubt the Twins are ready to move their top SS prospect out of there.

Dang it, Buxton just may be too injury prone. This sucks. I hope it's just a sprain and everyone (including me) is overreacting.

• wabene likes this

#40 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 670 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:44 AM

If Buxton doesn't already have a nickname it should be Charmin.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton