Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Stark: Twins exec "We're not in salary dump mode"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

According to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark, one team interested in Joe Mauer was told by the Twins organization that:

[COLOR=#555555][FONT=Arial]
"He's got a no-trade. He's the face of our team & we're not in salary-dump mode"[/FONT][/COLOR]

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,758 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

The real question is "Are they in salary spend mode?"

#3 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

Non-story. As above, are they going to spend money or not. This is the same team that stated publicly that "they were not a farm team and would not be dealing Willingham". Frankly, I think they have some kind of inferiority complex going on.

#4 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

THE story in Boston seems to be 'Chasing Mauer", partly because the Sox have inquired but mostly because a couple of media members there seem to have a thing for him and keep banging that drum. I think Stark is covering it because of that, and I think the Twins are reacting as strongly as they are because of that.

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,029 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

When you make a denial to a question not asked (ie "we are not in salary dump mode") means the opposite is likely true.

When Ryan has been asked your question, Brock, we've simply gotten obfuscation, following the same rule, the opposite of obfuscation in this case means they are likely in salary cut mode and any signings/ trade acquisitions will have need of plenty of lipstick and garland when ultimately presented as prize acquisitions ready to lead the club's "CompetitiveTurnaround of 2013"

Question: Over/Under on TF averaging 20,000/game next year?

#6 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hmm if your talking about a couple million here or there for bottom of the barrel pitchers, then yes they are in salary spend mode.

#7 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Just for fun I'll approximate what TR's response would be to that question -

"Payroll won't be an obstacle to putting together a contending team. The Twins are committed to winning and the Pohlads have assured us that, if the right opportunity comes along, there will be enough money."