Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Good lord, help us: Bruce Chen is available.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

Jeff Passan from Yahoo Sports is reporting that the Royals are shopping Bruce Chen and Luke Hochevar.

• Chen makes $4.5M last year and posted a 5.07 ERA but threw 191 inning.
  • Hochevar had a 5.73 ERA and threw 185 innings, but is just 29 years old and a former #1 overall pick. He'll likely cost about $5M but had a 7.0 K/9. Home runs killed him.

I can see the Twins looking at the salaries being thrown around here and nibbling at these guys. It seems like they've always been impressed by Chen.

#2 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no for the love of god NO!:angry:

#3 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

"Shopping" them? How about leaving them out on the curb with a ratty sofa and cardboard signs on all of them that say "FREE!" ?

#4 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

"Shopping" them? How about leaving them out on the curb with a ratty sofa and cardboard signs on all of them that say "FREE!" ?

i would rather pick up a lawn mower on the side of the road with no blades.

#5 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

You may as well pencil Chen into our rotation right now. We'll give up Arcia for him.

#6 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

I'm deathly afraid of the Twins acquiring Chen. Yikes. Hochevar might be a worthwhile gamble.

#7 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

I'm deathly afraid of the Twins acquiring Chen. Yikes. Hochevar might be a worthwhile gamble.

Hochevar maybe. But he is 29 years old now. He has never had a good season. So probably not...

#8 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

The Twins and Royals have literally never swung a trade in my lifetime, and I'm 30. But based on that logic, a trade is all the more imminent.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

The Royals are hoping to find someone to give up anything for Hochevar because on Friday, they'll non-tender him and get nothing in return. So, no need to give up anything for him when he can be had as a free agent in 2-3 days.

#10 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Ya, because signing him as a FA sounds like a great idea, when you are trying to gather legit SP....
Lighten up Francis....

#11 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

Posted Image Posted Image

#12 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

Picking up the trash the Royals deem unfit really gets me excited. Perhaps one day too the Twins can strive to have the quality rotation the Royals annully run to the mound.

#13 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

Hochevar could be nontendered and much cheaper if the Twins wait. There is a glimmer of hope that he is 29 and some possible upside.

No upside with Chen.

#14 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

No, pretty bad, who would take them?

#15 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

No, pretty bad, who would take them?

If the royals wont take them that means basically....NO ONE WILL!

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

No, pretty bad,[SIZE=7] who [/SIZE]would take them?

The very same guy who signed Jason Marquis, that's "who". Not Chen, though, definitely Hochevar.
Chen's agent is Boras and makes up to $6M, TR wouldn't touch him with a 10' pole, unless the Royals atttached most of Chen's next year salary to the end of that pole.

Edited by jokin, 28 November 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#17 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

I agree on Hochevar - nobody is touching him until he's non-tendered.

Double-checking Chen's salary, he could make as much as $6M with incentives.

#18 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

Unfortunately, we all know the Twins won't be able to help themselves. But really, he's not terrible. Chen is generally below average which, in fact, does rank above supreme mediocrity.

#19 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

The Royals are hoping to find someone to give up anything for Hochevar because on Friday, they'll non-tender him and get nothing in return. So, no need to give up anything for him when he can be had as a free agent in 2-3 days.

3 more days with Hochevar could actually really pay dividends for the long run. I like saying his last name. I seriously have no idea why, but it hasn't been affecting my daily activities so I think I'm ok.

#20 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

If for some reason they sign or trade for those two maybe the Twins would sign or trade for two stellar middle infielders.

#21 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hochevar and Peltry are a couple of non-tenders (plus Juirgens) that could prove tempting. Not sure what the outside market will be for any of them, but they all will be looking for someone to give them a chance and some innings. The question is do you sign them for a minor league contract, or have to make a 40-man spot for them. And with the Feldman and Baker signing, any of them getting a contract for $3-4 m
illion is almost a given, unless EVERYONE's roster is full. Remember, the Marlins will be trolling for great deals (Liriano and Young) as will the Astros, too...both teams viable for players looking to make a comeback, and they have the open roster spots for hasbeens and wannabees.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com