Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Doogie: Twins Meeting With Carl Pavano

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

http://www.1500espn....t_for_now112812

"While it's likely Carl Pavano's Twins career is over, his agent will be meeting with the Twins in Nashville. Pavano was given full medical clearance on his shoulder recently."

I'm sure he is one of many starting pitchers that the Twins are talking to, but I would welcome him back with open arms. Don't talk to me about 2012 - he was hurt and the whole things was terribly mismanaged. To me, 220+ innings in 2010 & 2011 with a 4ish ERA speaks louder. Plus, he'll likely be cheap ($4m?) due to last year's cluster.

(Tangent: Ironically, maybe the Twins medical staff will save the Twins some money this time. It could be a new strategy. Destroy a guy's value through mismanagement of his medical and then re-sign him at half the price. It could work for arbitration-eligible guys, too.)

#2 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

He won't cost anything close to 4 million IMO, I highly doubt someone will give him a major league contract much more then the minimum.

I'd give him a spring training invite for sure.

#3 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

[COLOR=#333333]Don't talk to me about 2012 - he was hurt and the whole things was terribly mismanaged.[/COLOR]

The larger concern is that he is 37 in 2013 and the likely hood that he can bounce-back from the 2012 injury AND avoid the effects of aging is what speaks loud than his stats from 2-3 years ago.

That said, a one-year, cheap deal with a team that is not completely ready to compete in 2013 is fine.

#4 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Looks like the rotation is shaping up to be Diamond, Pavano, Liriano, plus two. Consider me optimistic.

#5 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,371 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Looks like the rotation is shaping up to be Diamond, Pavano, Liriano, plus two. Consider me optimistic.

Don't forget Blackie!

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#6 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

Don't forget Blackie!

Watching Deduno and Devries battle their tails off for that fifth spot is going to make Spring Training really interesting!

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,723 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

If it takes more than a minor league contract/Spring Training invite, pass.

#8 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

no no no no
no more pavano!

#9 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,022 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

Such cheerful and hopeful news this week...

#10 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

Don't forget Blackie!

We're putting the band back together!

With a little health and a little luck, we could go from 96 losses to only 93!

#11 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

Definitely. See if he can hit the upper 80's on his fastball. 1 year 850k contract at the most.

#12 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

Definitely. See if he can hit the upper 80's on his fastball. 1 year 850k contract at the most.

+1. We have to do some serious risk management here. If he's back, let him prove it spring training. If he wants serious guaranteed money, I'll pass. It isn't personal. The Twins simply have no more room for error.

#13 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

[quote name='70charger'][quote name='AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS'][quote name='Brock Beauchamp']If it takes more than a minor league contract/Spring Training invite, pass.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. See if he can hit the upper 80's on his fastball. 1 year 850k contract at the most.[/QUOTE]

+1. We have to do some serious risk management here. If he's back, let him prove it spring training. If he wants serious guaranteed money, I'll pass. It isn't personal. The Twins simply have no more room for error.[/QUOTE]

Thats what im saying. He would have to prove in spring training on a low salary contract that he can get his arm strength close to where it should be. Not an 85 mph fastball, thats a RH Jamie Moyer. I think Pavano shoulds just go and fade away into oblivion with all his millions and gorgeous wife.