Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Potential Non-Tenders

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:56 AM

Considering the Twins tendency to go after items on the scrap heap, do any of these potential non-tender candidates interest anyone if they hit the open market (basically looking at starting pitchers or infielders):

Starting Pitchers (including ages during 2013): Dallas Braden (29), Luke Hochevar (29), Tommy Hunter (26-27), Jair Jurrjens (27), John Lannan (28), Kyle McClellen (28-29), Mike Pelfrey (29), Kevin Slowey (29), Chris Volstad (26)

Infielders: Emmanuel Burris (28), Jack Hannahan (33), Sean Rodriguez (28), Ian Stewart (28), Luis Valbuena (26)

#2 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

I would look at Braden, Hunter, Lannan. The rest are not interesting. Infielders perhaps Stewart or Rodirquez. Hannahan could also be competition for Ploffee.
All of the above have had some success at a major league level and probably are better that some of what the Twins have now. Plus none of them would require large dollar investments.
Hochevar is a former #1 draft pick who has not put it together. Probably he never will.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,430 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

Hochevar has Twins written all over him... kind of the same way that we all just assume that Joe Blanton will be a Twin sometime soon. I don't think either is really a 'bad' thing.

#4 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

Mark Reynolds?

#5 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

They scout these players so they should know what they can or can't do. The question then becomes can the coaching staff put it together for the player to succeed?

#6 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

I'd be cool with taking a flyer on Hochevar or Stewart if the price tag was low, quite low.

#7 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

I gotta think Hannahan is almost a given, if they can get him on a minor league deal.

#8 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

I gotta think Hannahan is almost a given, if they can get him on a minor league deal.

Why? Because he is one of us? (Grew up in Minn.?)

I'd take a look at Jurgens.

Edited by powrwrap, 23 November 2012 - 09:43 AM.

[FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#000000]"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." [/COLOR][/FONT]

#9 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

The Twins and any of these players (other than Hannahan who is 33) are a good match.

There will be motivation to take a minor league deal because Minnesota can offer a real shot at a place in the rotation or middle infield next year. More than anything else these players need a chance to prove themselves.

The Twins also have enough guys that they can drop from the 40 to offer that status if necessary.

#10 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Jurgens is a disaster waiting to happen. Mark Reynolds would be interesting, but have nowhere to play him. Braden, Hunter, and Lannan all have had major league success. Would not mind any of them being Twins and filling the bottom of the rotation.

#11 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

Pelfrey, Jurrjens, Hunter, Stewart,

#12 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

I'd pursue Hunter the most. Hannahan will likely be offered something from us. I'd give a shot to Jurrjens, Pelfrey, and Volstad.
And Slowey! Just kidding.

#13 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

Take off the last 2 starters and the rest of the pitchers would all interest me for low salaries/minor league deal with invite. They would be better than anything we have potential wise or proven wise after Diamond Hendriks and Gibson. Rodriguez is probably better than anything we have up the middle.

#14 Siehbiscuit

Siehbiscuit

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Mark Reynolds?

I like the thought of adding Mark Reynolds. He can play 3rd, 1st or DH. Is he much of a drop off defensively or offensively from Plouffe?

I also like the risk of Hocheaver. The potential has always been there. He has the highest ceiling of any of the pitchers. WHAT IF Hocheaver reached that level as a Twin in 2013? I think this organization is due for a little luck.

#15 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Jurgens is a disaster waiting to happen.

Jurrjens was injured in 2012 and had a bad year. If you take out 2012 he's a career 3.40 ERA and a 1.28 WHIP. He'll be 27 in January. If he's healthy those are good numbers to go after.
[FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#000000]"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." [/COLOR][/FONT]

#16 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Jurrjens is a no brainer to go after.

#17 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,383 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

There are a lot of people on this list that interest me.

Braden has his moments... Left Handed... We certainly have room for him in our rotation.

Hochevar is worth a shot... The guy was supposed to be a superstar at one time. We have a rotation that has room to see if has anything... If there is anything there at all.

Jurrjens... Of Course... He has had more than moments... He's had stretches of productivity. I hope TR is on the phone with his people right now.

Lannen... Has been OK... Nothing exciting but we have room for an OK yet nothing exciting pitcher.

Pelfrey... Is also worth a shot... Because we don't have anyone better. I'm not talking 10 year deals for these guys... I'm talking about giving them a run in 2013 and seeing if they are worth it for 2014.

Sean Rodriquez?... I haven't seen him on any lists. Did the Rays actually give him up... If the Rays gave him up... We should be making a call to check on him for sure. No he's not Robinson Cano but he can play multiple positions... He has speed and Power... We don't have better options in the MI right now. Is Rodriquez actually out there? If he is... Yeah... I'd be interested.

#18 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Pelfrey is how far from coming back...late season or mid-season. This is the perfect example, though, of where wold these guys fit on anyone's 40-man roster. When all is said and done, each team probably has 2-3 spots, at most, to add someone...maybe less. Anyone else signs as a minorleague free agent...or suddenly guys are available that get bumped. This is the way Twins add guys.

I look at the Twins roster and I see 5-6-7 souls that could be deep-sixed or be considered replaceable by the above names or others (real free agents). But all of those replaceable parts are actually...replaceable parts.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#19 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

Interesting that Paul Janish isn't listed in that list as he's a likely non-tender as well, and I do believe he will have a solid market.

On Jurrjens, I'm under the opinion that he could be a big pickup for someone. The Braves haven't lost faith in him; it's just a financial issue. The Braves would have to pay him ~$4.5M in order to keep him, and with a limited budget, they won't be doing that. They will non-tender him, but it honestly would not surprise me to see them still make an offer to him after the non-tender.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#20 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Jair Jurrjens will be back.......... and you just have to love his name, and the many ways people will pronounce it. he will be back, and i hope the twins grab him. i am not so sure anderson will be good for him though. when he is/was on his game and not injured...... he is/was as good as braves had. to be able to sign him without giving up anything............ well...... some team will for sure.

#21 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

No, all a pile of junk, sign someone really good for 5 or 6 years. You get what you pay for, why waste money and time on crap?

#22 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Braden has his moments... Left Handed... We certainly have room for him in our rotation.

Hochevar is worth a shot... The guy was supposed to be a superstar at one time. We have a rotation that has room to see if has anything... If there is anything there at all.

Jurrjens... Of Course... He has had more than moments... He's had stretches of productivity. I hope TR is on the phone with his people right now.

Lannen... Has been OK... Nothing exciting but we have room for an OK yet nothing exciting pitcher.

Pelfrey... Is also worth a shot... Because we don't have anyone better. I'm not talking 10 year deals for these guys... I'm talking about giving them a run in 2013 and seeing if they are worth it for 2014.

Sean Rodriquez?... I haven't seen him on any lists. Did the Rays actually give him up... If the Rays gave him up... We should be making a call to check on him for sure. No he's not Robinson Cano but he can play multiple positions... He has speed and Power... We don't have better options in the MI right now. Is Rodriquez actually out there? If he is... Yeah... I'd be interested.

None of these guys have been non-tendered yet. It was just a partial list of potentials. We'll know by 12/1

#23 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,383 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

None of these guys have been non-tendered yet. It was just a partial list of potentials. We'll know by 12/1

Hopefully... We could use a couple of them. Worth rolling the dice on.

#24 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Jurrjens, John Lannan , Kyle McClellen and Sean Rodriguez i would certainly be interested in going after. John Lannan is a proven pitcher with lifetime ERA of just above 4. Jurrjiens im kind of iffy about do to the fact he just seems like a right handed Liriano. McClellen at one time was good relief pitcher but was thrust into a starting role last year and was injured. Sean Rodrgiuez is a proven utility infielder who i think is better then Escobar or Florimon.

#25 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

I like the thought of adding Mark Reynolds. He can play 3rd, 1st or DH. Is he much of a drop off defensively or offensively from Plouffe? .

Reynolds plays 3B like Plouffe plays SS - comically bad. He's pretty bad at 1B too. DH is the only defensive position he can handle.

#26 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

It's one thing to say "go after him", but how hard after him? Put down something of a "no higher than" price. Use Baker as a price guide. Apparently the Twins "lost out" on Baker due to an insistence on an option year at a "management friendly" price.

#27 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

I'm not a huge fan of trolling the non-tender list other than for a potential bounceback bull pen arm or something... We need to go after some decent talent, not continuing to play the lottery.