Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Competition for Plouffe?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

The Red Sox have designated Danny Valencia for assignment.

#2 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

The Red Sox also designated Zach Stewart for assignment. He was acquired in the Youkilis deal from the White Sox, but has bounced around (Blue Jays and Reds) in the last few years. He hasn't been great, but he's not far removed from being a decently respected prospect (Toronto's #1 coming into 2010). He would be a guy I'd much rather see added to the roster - young, cheap, starter - than a few of the guys added today.

#3 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

I read somewhere that Terry Ryan wants to bring in a starter for competition. I don't know if Plouffe will end up being much, or not. But its like Kubel all over again. Never wanting to give him a fair shot, and then send him out there when he's not 100% on top of it.

#4 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,291 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

If Plouffe could be consistent, he could be amazing. Maybe some competition could help him focus, or maybe it could hurt him.

#5 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

The Red Sox also designated Zach Stewart for assignment. He was acquired in the Youkilis deal from the White Sox, but has bounced around (Blue Jays and Reds) in the last few years. He hasn't been great, but he's not far removed from being a decently respected prospect (Toronto's #1 coming into 2010). He would be a guy I'd much rather see added to the roster - young, cheap, starter - than a few of the guys added today.

I'd be interested. Hell, he beat us.

#6 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,993 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:41 AM

Cory Burns of the Padres was also DFA'd yesterday. He does not look like much but he can strike people out.

#7 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

Zach Stewart would be a great guy to bring in. I like Plouffe as much as anyone, but his thumb and lack of sustained success would give a guy like Stewart a reason to come here.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#8 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 840 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

The Twins talk about brining in competition for Plouffe but maybe they can just use Jamey Carroll as his push at third. The Twins would most likely rather have Carroll in the middle infield picture but Gardenhire has used light hitting options at third in the past. Imaging Carroll as an older version of Nick Punto. It could be an option, I guess...

#9 Maverick

Maverick

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

Zach Stewart would be a great guy to bring in. I like Plouffe as much as anyone, but his thumb and lack of sustained success would give a guy like Stewart a reason to come here.

You're not thinking of Ian Stewart?....because Zach Stewart is a pitcher :)

Edited by Maverick, 21 November 2012 - 11:29 PM.

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,567 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

I know some people will throw up on me for this suggestion. I'd like to see the Twins sign Jake Fox to a minor league deal and hope he still has a little pop in his bat. He can play third and he can play catcher and OF. Low BA but he can jack one and he would give the team a late inning RH bat off the bench if we need a dinger and be that emergency third catcher.

If it doesn't work out... Release him like everyone else has. If not Jake Fox... Someone like him... Power... can play 3B and catch if need be.

Im sure there is a reason he's been released multiple times but power like he has could be helpful. I can't think of anyone else who fits that description. That Pacheco kid from Colorado can play 3B and C but he doesn't have much power. I know I'm stretching a bit here.

#11 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

You're not thinking of Ian Stewart?....because Zach Stewart is a pitcher :)

Yes, Ian Stewart. I always thought he would be decent in COL, never clicked for him.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#12 Maverick

Maverick

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

I do think Ian Stewart would be worth a flyer at the very least...especially if he has recovered from his wrist issues. Not that the Twins really need another left-handed bat.

#13 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

I know some people will throw up on me for this suggestion. I'd like to see the Twins sign Jake Fox to a minor league deal and hope he still has a little pop in his bat. He can play third and he can play catcher and OF. Low BA but he can jack one and he would give the team a late inning RH bat off the bench if we need a dinger and be that emergency third catcher.

If it doesn't work out... Release him like everyone else has. If not Jake Fox... Someone like him... Power... can play 3B and catch if need be.

Im sure there is a reason he's been released multiple times but power like he has could be helpful. I can't think of anyone else who fits that description. That Pacheco kid from Colorado can play 3B and C but he doesn't have much power. I know I'm stretching a bit here.

I would be ok with this. Guys like this can surprise you. Minor league contracts are essentially zero risk for the team