Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Chone Figgins

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,489 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

Not that I want to encourage a new thread for every player that becomes available, but I do think that Chone Figgins is interesting. The Mariners DFAd him and will own him $8 million for the season. No one is going to pick that up, so he should become a free agent. At that point, should the Twins be interested in signing him at league minimum.

He earned the big contract with many good years with the Angels. He was a mid-600s OPS in his first year in Seattle, and he's been terrible the last two years. So, if he could even post those mid-600 OPS as a utility infielder, would that be worth it. At 34, does he have the ability or upside yet to have one more good year? Can he be the competition for Trevor Plouffe that Terry Ryan is talking about?

Personally, the more I think about this, the more I think that I'd just go with Eduardo Escobar as the utility infielder. But I don't think Figgins would be a bad low-risk, medium reward candidate.

What say you?

#2 CC7

CC7

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

go for it, 1yr/1.5

#3 Craig in MN

Craig in MN

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

He's worth a minor league deal with ST invite, but nothing more. I see no problems if the Twins are interested in that.

#4 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

No. No. No. No! As someone who has the mariners as their number 2 team (entire immediate family lives in Seattle) I can tell you figgins is the absolute worst,the only and I mean ONLY good thing about his tenure in Seattle was a local bar offered draft bears for the price of whatever Figgins batting average was at the time. As much as I am a fan of sub $2 pints, I can't in any faith endorse them signing this turd for anything period.

#5 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

No. No. No. No! As someone who has the mariners as their number 2 team (entire immediate family lives in Seattle) I can tell you figgins is the absolute worst,the only and I mean ONLY good thing about his tenure in Seattle was a local bar offered draft bears for the price of whatever Figgins batting average was at the time. As much as I am a fan of sub $2 pints, I can't in any faith endorse them signing this turd for anything period.

I agree 100%. While I don't probably don't know as much about Figgins as Dave, the absolute last thing I want to do is add more players who can't hit for power. Spend some money on Youkilis for 3B please. He will bring some fans back and his right handedness will be greatly appreciated in the lineup at Target Field.

#6 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,253 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Even if he weren't a putrid player, is he even capable of playing a viable middle infield at this point?

#7 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

I still think Chone could be great! Could he be our 2b? Price would have to be right.

#8 Kobs

Kobs

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

I could post this question on a lot of these threads, but here goes:

How does acquiring people who are bad a playing baseball make the Twins better at playing baseball?

#9 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

Even if he weren't a putrid player, is he even capable of playing a viable middle infield at this point?

No, it says alot when the offensive starved Mariners moved his ass to corner OF this year bc he can't play ANY viable inf position at this point. Fun fact: Punto has a 55 point higher OPS over the past 3 years then Figgins and actually is able to PLAY DEFENSE!!!!!!!!

#10 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

I could post this question on a lot of these threads, but here goes:

How does acquiring people who are bad a playing baseball make the Twins better at playing baseball?

This is my favorite post ever. Figgins had an OPS+ of 54 last year. I think the Twins can let him sign elsewhere and be just fine.

#11 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,269 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

It will be interesting to see who hires Figgins. I agree with Seth that he could be decent again.

#12 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,253 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:37 AM

Do many 35-year-olds with multiple years of putridity become decent again?

#13 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:38 AM

Figgins is interesting in the same way that a car wreck is interesting. Dude makes Nick Punto look like a stud.

#14 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

My guess is he could be a utility infielder as much as Brandon Inge could be a backup catcher - in other words - NOT. Besides, we now have no room on the 40-man roster (although I don't know why).

#15 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

Seattle is not a great place to hit, just ask Beltre. Chone still has career ba of .280 and has average over 40 sb.

#16 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

Minor league contract, ST invite. He could be useful to have in the system, if he is willing.

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

I laughed my ass off when Seattle signed Figgins to that contract (lived in Long Beach and followed his entire career with the Angels).

No thanks. Figgins is a perfect example of why you dish off speedy, no-power guys the moment they peak in value. They have a tendency to die an ugly baseball death at age 30.

#18 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

Seattle is not a great place to hit, just ask Beltre. Chone still has career ba of .280 and has average over 40 sb.

If anything, Seattle should help a guy like Figgins because he's not going to hit the ball over the fence anyway. All that OF space leaves big gaps for him to hit.

#19 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:52 AM

He will probably get a minimum salary major league deal somewhere. Should it be here, interesting. Last few years have been really bad. Final opinion, No

#20 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

No to Figgins, No to Valencia. Enough with players that aren't good enough to make other teams 40 man roster. Minor league deal? Perhaps, but lets go get some players that can actually make this team better.

I would make a bad GM, I would eventually get impatient and just say sign him, I don't care about the cost. I'm convinced that is worth it to spend a little more and get quality.

#21 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

The funny thing is Figgins might be the worst player in baseball currently, and people WANT to bring him in for some reason. In addition to him being terrible at baseball he is also a bad clubhouse guy.

#22 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

Sounds like a perfect fit... if your intent is to get by on the cheap by signing someone with a name that people might recognize but won't seriously challenge any of your younger players for a spot on the roster, yet allowing you to tell your fan base that you "tried" to improve the team.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#23 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

I doubt a Japanese team would even touch this guy.

#24 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

Even if Figgins played up to his ability, he'd still be redundant with Carroll already around.

#25 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

This sounds like the kind of thing the Twins would do in the mid-to-late 90's. Sign a washed-up veteran in hopes he reclaims some of his past glory to pretend you're trying to compete when you're really not. I actually kinda wanted the Twins to sign him when he was a FA, I thought he'd look great at the top of our lineup with Span (two guys at the time sporting near .400 OBP), but his performance in Seattle has erased that feeling. Pass on Figgins, please.

#26 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

I laughed my ass off when Seattle signed Figgins to that contract (lived in Long Beach and followed his entire career with the Angels).

No thanks. Figgins is a perfect example of why you dish off speedy, no-power guys the moment they peak in value. They have a tendency to die an ugly baseball death at age 30.

Precisely. Though I didn't listen to myself and still drafted him in my fantasy league not once, but TWICE after the decline.

#27 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

I will say this, Chone was a Twins killer when he was with the Angels. The guy must have been on base 8 out of 10 times, and then would get 8 steals out of 8 tries. When he was a free agent, I remember one the old guys I work with(a twins fanatic) wouldn't shut up about trying to sign him. If I recall, he signed that now laughable deal in Seattle, and we ended up with Joe "no disk" Crede. In the end, they both sucked. At least Joe was a one year no chance guy.

#28 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

He has enough speed to be useful. He plays 3B, 2B, and a little SS if i remember right. will cost the same as escobar with more experience. By signing him to a utility position you can't go wrong. If he hits so bad you gotta replace him you can, and if he hits well he can spell the player in a slump which would be really helpful if 2 players are slumping and Carroll is out there playing everyday. There really is only upside in this scenario.

#29 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

. By signing him to a utility position you can't go wrong.

Yes you can.

#30 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

He has enough speed to be useful. He plays 3B, 2B, and a little SS if i remember right. will cost the same as escobar with more experience. By signing him to a utility position you can't go wrong. If he hits so bad you gotta replace him you can, and if he hits well he can spell the player in a slump which would be really helpful if 2 players are slumping and Carroll is out there playing everyday. There really is only upside in this scenario.

He has been TERRIBLE​ for three years.