Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Royals signed Jeremy Guthrie

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

I heard three years but no terms yet. I wonder if the Twins considered him.

#2 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

3 years $25 million.

#3 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Too rich for my blood.

#4 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Royals signed RHP Jeremy Guthrie to a three-year, $25 million contract.

Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reported the contract information. Guthrie will make $5 million next season, $11 million in 2014 and $9 million in 2015. The Royals were reportedly unwilling to offer more than two years, but they ultimately caved to keep him in the fold. Guthrie earned the big payday after posting an impressive 3.16 ERA and 56/19 K/BB ratio over 91 innings after coming over from the Rockies in July. He'll be at the front of the Royals' rotation next season along with recent acquisition Ervin Santana.

#5 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

At this rate Kevin Correia will be too expensive for the Twins.

SIGN ME UP!

#6 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

So we've reached a point where the Royals are showing more urgency to address their rotation than the Twins. Aye.

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,510 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

So we've reached a point where the Royals are showing more urgency to address their rotation than the Twins. Aye.

While I agree that it'd be nice to see the Twins make a move (TODAY, please), it's not terribly surprising to see a guy go off the board early by sticking with his current team and signing a new contract.

#8 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

No need to panic yet as Joe Blanton is still available.
When Scot Baker @ 5m & Jeremy Guthrie @ 8 are too pricey....doesnt bode eell

#9 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

What's funny is the Twins would have been criticized if they had made this deal, as well.

#10 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,816 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

That is two of the top 20 starting pitchers gone....no need to panic yet.

#11 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

What's funny is the Twins would have been criticized if they had made this deal, as well.

Yep.

#12 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

He's not very good. Adding guys like Guthrie does nothing for the Twins... the Royals can have him.

#13 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

He's not very good. Adding guys like Guthrie does nothing for the Twins... the Royals can have him.

It may be too much to expect the Twins to field a better 4th starter than Guthrie, whose FIPs and xFIPS generally sit in the mid to high 4's. But it's not too much to expect them to do it for a whole lot less than 3 years/$25 million. So yes, good riddance, and a relief that the Twins CAN'T sign him now. I'd rather watch Deduno hit the mascot twice a game than see 25 million go up in smoke with a mediocrity like Guthrie.

#14 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

In terms of the offseason timeline, no, it's not too late to acquire other pitchers.

But I'll go ahead and panic for a different reason: The Royals just set Jeremy Guthrie's price point at $8.33 million per year. Anybody else here hoping we would pick up somebody better than Jeremy Guthrie? Given that his deal was significantly more than Willingham's, which is far and away the richest FA contract the Twins have ever paid out, I'm don't think this is exactly a good development for us. The only plus side to it is that we aren't stuck with Jeremy Guthrie, but neither are 28 other MLB teams.

Back in September, there were people hoping to get Anibal Sanchez for exactly the type of numbers Guthrie just got. How delusional does that look now?

#15 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,816 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

Hardballtalk had him as the 35th best free agent this year. If people do not want a guy like him, what are you expecting?

#16 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

In terms of the offseason timeline, no, it's not too late to acquire other pitchers.

But I'll go ahead and panic for a different reason: The Royals just set Jeremy Guthrie's price point at $8.33 million per year. Anybody else here hoping we would pick up somebody better than Jeremy Guthrie? Given that his deal was significantly more than Willingham's, which is far and away the richest FA contract the Twins have ever paid out, I'm don't think this is exactly a good development for us. The only plus side to it is that we aren't stuck with Jeremy Guthrie, but neither are 28 other MLB teams.

Back in September, there were people hoping to get Anibal Sanchez for exactly the type of numbers Guthrie just got. How delusional does that look now?

That's what I'm worried about, too. This is just an outrageous contract for a mediocre pitcher. And please, nobody act like this would of been a good signing for the Twins.

#17 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

[
...But I'll go ahead and panic for a different reason: The Royals just set Jeremy Guthrie's price point at $8.33 million per year. Anybody else here hoping we would pick up somebody better than Jeremy Guthrie? Given that his deal was significantly more than Willingham's, which is far and away the richest FA contract the Twins have ever paid out, I'm don't think this is exactly a good development for us.

Haven't you heard? Money isn't an issue! The Twins braintrust said so, meaning that it must be true. So what if Sanchez might be looking for 5 years/$70 million now that the Royals have overpaid for Guthrie? Ryan just pays more to get him, without affecting what he can spend on other players. Problem solved!

Edited by LaBombo, 20 November 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#18 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Hardballtalk had him as the 35th best free agent this year. If people do not want a guy like him, what are you expecting?

If he was free, sure. But he's not. At three years and twenty-five million, God no.

#19 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

Another indication that "cheap" is not an adjective to use with "pitching". $20MM (if that is indeed the figure) won't fetch much.

#20 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

That contract doesn't look horrible to me, kind of what I would expect really. Thats why I say spend the money and get Grienke. Don't **** around with mediocre pitchers like Guthrie.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#21 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

That contract doesn't look horrible to me, kind of what I would expect really. Thats why I say spend the money and get Grienke. Don't **** around with mediocre pitchers like Guthrie.

I'm not surprised by the amount, but the length.

#22 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

Bad clubs have to take chances and spend more. Twins have issue noted above that they do not look like a contender. That raises prices and reduces the number of FA's who want to play here.

#23 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

I'm more worried that the 35th best FA just got a 3/25 contract...

#24 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,816 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

There are 30 teams with multiple holes and the tv contract is adding 20 million next year. What would you expect the 35th best player to get? You all know contract values are going up, right?

#25 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

This is why I always advocated signing Santana and Hunter for whatever they were asking for. The way salaries skyrocket a lot of deals will end up looking like steals just because of how awful all the new contracts are.

#26 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

Let him have his $8 million or so per year.

Three years? Hells no.

#27 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

It's FA with a ton of cash floating around....what in god's name do people expect? I'll keep saying it, Baker is going to look like a steal at 5M by the end of this.

#28 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

It's FA with a ton of cash floating around....what in god's name do people expect? I'll keep saying it, Baker is going to look like a steal at 5M by the end of this.

I have to wonder where the Twins drew the line with him. Maybe he just didn't want to come back or wanted to try somewhere else. I don't blame him since the Twins training staff completely destroyed his ability to make a lot of money this offseason.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#29 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Twins havent spent on a FA pitcher as good as Guthrie in 2 decades.....Sid Ponson still upright?

#30 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

[quote name='Badsmerf'][quote name='TheLeviathan'][quote name='diehardtwinsfan']I'm more worried that the 35th best FA just got a 3/25 contract...[/QUOTE]

It's FA with a ton of cash floating around....what in god's name do people expect? I'll keep saying it, Baker is going to look like a steal at 5M by the end of this.[/QUOTE]
I have to wonder where the Twins drew the line with him. Maybe he just didn't want to come back or wanted to try somewhere else. I don't blame him since the Twins training staff completely destroyed his ability to make a lot of money this offseason.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that the sticking point was the option year. The Twins were insistent on one and Baker was adamant against.

I can see it from both sides. With the assumption that Baker pitches well in 2013, the Twins were hoping to get an extra year at a relatively cheap salary. From Baker's standpoint, his next contract is probably going to be his last so he is hoping that he can get a 3/30+ after next season and didn't want to wait an extra year to hit FA again.