Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Tsuyoshi Nishioka lands on his feet

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

There was a lot of discussion when he walked away from his contract with the Twins. He left a bunch of money on the table, choosing to effectively turn down $3.25 million guaranteed to play out the remaining year of his contract at Rochester.

It was announced that he has a two-year deal with the Hanshin Tigers, for about $7.4MM, meaning he'll earn more money than he forfeited with the Twins. He had a rough couple of years in the US, I hope things start to work out well for him back in Japan.

#2 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Just like I said months ago, when everyone was tripping over themselves saying "OMG what a classy guy!" Nope, he is a gutless worthless punk. Instead of trying to make something of himself and give the Twins even the smallest return on his investment, he pouted, had a **** attitude and then asked to back out of his contract in order to go back to Japan to make even MORE money. I hope he fails just as miserably over in Japan as he did here.

Good Riddance to that D-bag.

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

Just like I said months ago, when everyone was tripping over themselves saying "OMG what a classy guy!" Nope, he is a gutless worthless punk. Instead of trying to make something of himself and give the Twins even the smallest return on his investment, he pouted, had a **** attitude and then asked to back out of his contract in order to go back to Japan to make even MORE money. I hope he fails just as miserably over in Japan as he did here.

No, let it out. Don't hold back.

Anyhow, I'm in the good for him camp. He tried to make it here, failed and went home. I certainly won't call him a D-bag for that. And I'm glad he got paid over there. Hope he wins MVP.

#4 luke829

luke829

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

I'm with gunnarthor on this one. The guy was not making a go of it over here, knew it, and asked to be let go. A real jerk would have stayed on, milked the team for every cent of the contract, and still not made any considerable progress. Good for him.
Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

#5 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

I don't know about the pouting or bad attitude, but I don't believe he gave his all here. I think that when times got tough, he checked out. I said so at the time, it doesn't surprise me he got more money.

Let's see how "classy" people think he is when he is batting .320 and playing great defense over there. He never wanted to be here.

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,940 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Dave's vitriol toward Nishioka is hilarious.

#7 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

Dave's vitriol toward Nishioka is hilarious.

He basically rates somewhere between Paper Cuts on an eyeball and Hitler.

#8 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Um..yeah. This thread sure took a turn for the worst. Good luck to Nishioka. I hope he tears it up in Japan.

#9 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:59 AM

He basically rates somewhere between Paper Cuts on an eyeball and Hitler.

escalated quickly.jpg

#10 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:05 AM

Why does that surprise people that Nishi signed else where ?
it was reported officials from japan were here scouting him in Rochester...last july or august

#11 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

[quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave']He basically rates somewhere between Paper Cuts on an eyeball and [SIZE=5]Hitler.[[/SIZE]/QUOTE]

Don't you mean Tojo?

Once he got sent down to Roc., there was no way he was coming back, despite TD-poster insistencies of his playing out his contract to the contrary. From day one, he never adjusted to the culture and having nothing more than AAA level talent insured that failure was inevitable.

More of your anger should be directed at Twins management for bringing this whole farce down upon the club.

#12 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Don't you mean Tojo?

---God forbid we have a Nishoka thread without gratuitous references to his ethnicity.

#13 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

God forbid a reference get made to someone's ethnicity without someone getting uppity about it.

#14 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Uppity is a word that was once used by racist white people to describe black people who had the nerve to stand up for their rights and demand equal treatment as opposed to willingly accepting second class citizenship. Jackie Robinson certainly heard it a lot. Bill White made it the title of his book.

So if uppity means calling out petty bigotry instead of letting it pass, then yes, you're damn right I'm being uppity.

Garbage like this should be left to the cretins of the Strib comments section.

#15 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

Nishioka lands on his feet?

How the heck did he manage to accomplish that--descend a flight of stairs?
[FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#000000]"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." [/COLOR][/FONT]

#16 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

That reminds me, the best play he actually had in his MLB playing career was getting his leg broke by Nick Swisher. It allowed us to take a guy who would have posted a -2.5 WAR over the course of a full season and replace him with a guy who would only post a -1.0 WAR over a full season.

That "break" was a 1.5 win swing for us!

Anyways, where were we at? Oh yeah, Nishioka, screw that guy. I hope he fails for his new team and sent down to whatever minor league system they have in Japan.