Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Brian Dozier released

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,354 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 09:54 AM

I think it is he is 33 and most likely his best years behind him.27 is peak seasons for most players, he is 6 years past that.Very few teams are willing to play veterans these days that play at replacement level output.Teams are changing how they build teams and vets are getting squeezed out, even if they can put up MLB quality numbers.If they can get same output or close to it for cheaper the teams are doing that. 

Plus, he's not as versatile on the field as some would want from a backup/bench player. Dozier can really only play 2nd or DH/pinch hitter ... it's not enough anymore. As you said, teams are being built differently these days.

• Jimv likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#22 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,498 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 17 July 2020 - 10:07 AM

I could see a non-competitive NL team without a solid righty DH taking a flyer on him.

#23 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,165 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 11:56 AM

I'd rather see Nick Gordon as the heir apparent if something happens to Arraez. Dozier had a good run, holds the record for most HRs by an AL second baseman, and got a ring. He can retire a happy man.

I don't care who or what the back up plan is at 2b, but I want the Front Office to have the best one possible, this season doesn't have time for the young guys to come in and figure out, or a streaky hitter to get hot. (it does help the Twins that their lineup is stacked, but still)

• In My La-Z-boy likes this

#24 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 187 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:11 PM

I don't care who or what the back up plan is at 2b, but I want the Front Office to have the best one possible, this season doesn't have time for the young guys to come in and figure out, or a streaky hitter to get hot. (it does help the Twins that their lineup is stacked, but still)

Agreed. Too short of a season to "try" someone out. This won't be the best year for breakout rookies. If Arraez goes down, Gonzalez will be the first man up at 2B. 

• Tomj14 likes this

#25 spycake

spycake

• 17,725 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:43 PM

That said, it's not like he was bad for the Nationals last year (even if he didn't get much run in the playoffs) so it's not like he couldn't help a team even now.

By Fangraphs, Dozier was about a league average player in 2019, but by B-Ref, he was 1 win below average. And he was also about 1 win below average at both sites for 2018 too.

At age 33 now, right-handed, and having not playing a position other than 2B in 8 years, I'm not sure how helpful that is to any team. There will be worse performers in MLB this season, but contenders like the Twins want to aim for better production than that; and rebuilding clubs want to give the playing time to someone younger, or someone more flexible -- someone with a future or at least with more potential to be flipped to a contender in trade.

• SQUIRREL, Dman and Nine of twelve like this

#26 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,573 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 01:12 PM

We added Caleb Hamilton to take Tovar's spot. I thouygh Dozier might be a nice pickup if Sano was going to NOT start the season. Move him to first base. Twins still have a couple of free roster spots.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#27 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,472 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 01:33 PM

Dozier, in his time with the Twins, was the definition of a streaky hitter.

#28 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,165 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 01:36 PM

yup, that is why I wrote that part

#29 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,354 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 03:53 PM

Agreed. Too short of a season to "try" someone out. This won't be the best year for breakout rookies. If Arraez goes down, Gonzalez will be the first man up at 2B.

Yep .., and he played at 2nd the other night
  • In My La-Z-boy likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#30 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 784 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 04:45 PM

By Fangraphs, Dozier was about a league average player in 2019, but by B-Ref, he was 1 win below average. And he was also about 1 win below average at both sites for 2018 too.

At age 33 now, right-handed, and having not playing a position other than 2B in 8 years, I'm not sure how helpful that is to any team. There will be worse performers in MLB this season, but contenders like the Twins want to aim for better production than that; and rebuilding clubs want to give the playing time to someone younger, or someone more flexible -- someone with a future or at least with more potential to be flipped to a contender in trade.

Well, he was about a 1 bWAR player in 2018 & 2019. That's ok as a bench bat. But with limited positional flexibility (although he could probably play 3B or 1B in a pinch) there's just not a lot of market for that guy at 33 with some injury history if teams aren't convinced he's going to have that bounceback year.

I wish him luck, but I don't see a role on the Twins for him, and it may be hard for him to find a team ready to roll the dice. But who knows with expanded rosters and a short season? All it takes is one injury for someone to go, "why not?"

#31 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 951 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 04:45 PM

Man, were those hot streaks fun!
  • SQUIRREL, Dman, AceWrigley and 3 others like this

#32 bunsen82

bunsen82

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 120 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:15 AM

Possible the Marlins could try to pick him up?

• bighat likes this

#33 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,354 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:26 PM

Possible the Marlins could try to pick him up?

He was already given a MiL contract with the Mets, I think?
  • bighat likes this

#34 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 951 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:05 PM

He was already given a MiL contract with the Mets, I think?

Yes, he caught on with the Mets. https://www.nbcsport...ntract-mets?amp
  • bighat likes this

#35 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,472 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:17 AM

Brian Dozier sighted, in a batter’s box:

• bighat likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#36 Channing1964

Channing1964

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 533 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:55 AM

yep i heard that too...he is now somewhere in the Mets organization....god help him. I did love the way he played when he was a Twin.
  • bighat likes this

#37 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,498 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:52 PM

Does Dozier merit consideration for the Twins Hall of Fame?

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#38 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 951 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:23 PM

Does Dozier merit consideration for the Twins Hall of Fame?

Yes. He has the most HRs in a single season for the franchise for someone not named Harmon Killebrew.
  • bighat likes this

#39 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,498 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:38 PM

I could see a non-competitive NL team without a solid righty DH taking a flyer on him.

And he's now getting ABs for the Mets, so there ya go.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this