Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Brian Dozier released

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,045 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:36 AM

I noticed this one-sentence item in the most obscure part of this morning's StarTribune print edition:

San Diego released former Twins All-Star second baseman Brian Dozier.

• nclahammer likes this

#2 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,477 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:16 AM

I wish Brian well. He appears to be a class human being. He gave us Twins fans many exciting moments.

• wavedog, Longdistancetwins, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#3 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,963 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:51 AM

Always thought Brian was going to become a very good MLB player while moving through the minors. Loved him when he became one of the best on his Twins teams. Thought trading him made sense and liked the return we got. Sorry to see this news and wish him well. If he doesn't catch on with anyone this year, expect he will give it one more try in 2021.

• SQUIRREL, Longdistancetwins, Dman and 2 others like this

#4 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,437 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:29 AM

That's a rough sign. It's a weird year, of course, but SD has infield openings.

#5 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,368 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:51 AM

He just never seemed to find his footing elsewhere. Not sure if that was because of a lack of opportunity or if we just saw the best of him.

He's a good guy and hope he finds his way post-baseball.

• Dman likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#6 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 497 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:57 AM

One of my favorite Twins, he gave his all for them, often played hurt. I think it broke his heart when he was traded. Wish him well

• Dave The Dastardly and CharlieDee like this

#7 Aichiman

Aichiman

Elizabethton Twins

• 44 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:20 AM

I hope some team picks him up.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:52 PM

Was really just a formality. When he didn't make the Padres 60-man player pool, and now with an opt-out coming out, it was going to happen. Maybe a team will have a need and he'll get a shot. Can really only play 2B and DH, but he can still mash left-handers. 

#9 SkyBlueWaters

SkyBlueWaters

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 67 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:03 PM

On some painful Twins teams, Brian Dozier was a bright spot. Gotta love it when a # 8 draft pick comes through for you, becomes an all-star, and hits 167 out of the park.  

• Dman, Shaitan, AceWrigley and 1 other like this

#10 sftwinsfan

sftwinsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 216 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:37 PM

Definitely one of my favorite Twins in the recent era. Always seemed like a good guy and having fun. Was great to go from kind of a sneaky prospect to an all-star. He, Radke and probably Garver looking like some great late Twins steals in the draft. I wish him well.

• Longdistancetwins, Dman, AceWrigley and 1 other like this

#11 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,904 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:34 PM

Really streaky here. We suffered through the slumps because we saw the rampage when he was hot.No rampage for other teams and they won't give him slack for slumps. Another guy I thought was a little pull happy but overall nice career.

• Platoon and Channing1964 like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#12 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 508 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:13 PM

Great guy and exceeded all expectations.... but we do need to give our FO credit for when they moved him.....

• Longdistancetwins, Dman, Platoon and 4 others like this

#13 Otwins

Otwins

• 469 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:29 PM

Pick him up.He can take Tovar's place.

• Channing1964 likes this

#14 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,572 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:24 PM

Came here to see if that had been posted yet. More details: https://www.mlbtrade...ian-dozier.html

#15 Channing1964

Channing1964

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 534 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:29 PM

I think it would be a great depth move in a year like this. We could put him on the 60 and if anything happens to Arraez he would be our first option at 2b (where believe it or not we are thin). He can show off his Championship ring and demonstrate how winning teams go about their business.

#16 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,449 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:41 PM

We have an opening on the 60 man roster, so no need to cut anyone. Also, I believe the only reason why Tovar is on the roster is because he can play SS, which is something Dozier can't do. But I would much, much rather have Dozier's bat over Tovar's and others like Reinheimer.

• Channing1964 likes this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#17 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,045 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 17 July 2020 - 05:15 AM

I'm 99.99% sure that Dozier's professional playing career is over. There is no indication that he will ever again be the hitter he was five years ago and he is at best an average fielder who can play only one position. In the current situation with the bare-bones draft it's all the more important to give priority to prospects. Teams can't use a roster spot and any other resources on--sorry to say it--a washed-up player.

• Cap'n Piranha and Channing1964 like this

#18 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 785 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:04 AM

He may be best served to take this goofy year off and see if his body can recover from the grind he's put it through and take one more shot in 2021. Maybe a full year off with proper therapy can get his knee right and keep any other nagging injuries from laying him out and he can find a renaissance. I'm rooting for him, he's always seemed like a good dude.

That said, it's not like he was bad for the Nationals last year (even if he didn't get much run in the playoffs) so it's not like he couldn't help a team even now. But he didn't make the majors until he was 25, which shortens the shelf life in MLB.

I would not bring him back if I'm the Twins, though. Arraez deserves the starting job and Nick Gordon is probably ready if he goes down, and Polanco can certainly play there. Adding a 33 year old 2B in decline is not a great fit, even if he was one of ours. He had a great 4 year run with us, and we moved on at the right time.

• whosafraidofluigirussolo, Nine of twelve, Channing1964 and 1 other like this

#19 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,433 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 08:57 AM

I'd rather see Nick Gordon as the heir apparent if something happens to Arraez. Dozier had a good run, holds the record for most HRs by an AL second baseman, and got a ring. He can retire a happy man.

• Nine of twelve and Channing1964 like this

#20 Trov

Trov

Ft Myers Miracle

• 455 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 09:12 AM

He just never seemed to find his footing elsewhere. Not sure if that was because of a lack of opportunity or if we just saw the best of him.

He's a good guy and hope he finds his way post-baseball.

I think it is he is 33 and most likely his best years behind him.27 is peak seasons for most players, he is 6 years past that.Very few teams are willing to play veterans these days that play at replacement level output.Teams are changing how they build teams and vets are getting squeezed out, even if they can put up MLB quality numbers.If they can get same output or close to it for cheaper the teams are doing that. 

• SQUIRREL, Sconnie, Dman and 2 others like this