Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

And then there is the case of the Blue Jays to consider

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,354 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:16 PM

I wonder if they could play all their games in their opponents' stadiums, with home field advantage when they are supposed to be the home team. That would be really odd, though.

• jkcarew likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#22 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,704 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:18 PM

But according to a few on Twitter the facilities in Buffalo are terrible.

The field is fine. The lighting is insufficient for TV however.

#23 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,354 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 04:17 PM

The field is fine. The lighting is insufficient for TV however.

The field might be fine but the facilities might not be adequate. We'll see what they do.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#24 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,955 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:08 AM

Well, its official, Canada has said no to teams entering Canada without going thru the 14 day quarantine. State reason being that several teams will be coming from areas of U.S. that are current COVID hot spots. Assume they are talking about Florida (Tampa and Miami).

Article in Strib speculated they would be playing in Buffalo. Also speculation that their taxi squad training site could be in Rochester. I know lights have been a problem talked about here and elsewhere. Could they play only day games? Or I don't suppose it would take too long to bring in temporary lights until they could install better permanent lighting.

#25 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,354 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 11:35 AM

Well, its official, Canada has said no to teams entering Canada without going thru the 14 day quarantine. State reason being that several teams will be coming from areas of U.S. that are current COVID hot spots. Assume they are talking about Florida (Tampa and Miami).

Article in Strib speculated they would be playing in Buffalo. Also speculation that their taxi squad training site could be in Rochester. I know lights have been a problem talked about here and elsewhere. Could they play only day games? Or I don't suppose it would take too long to bring in temporary lights until they could install better permanent lighting.

In Rochester? Would they be using the Red Wings’ facility?

#26 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,704 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:32 PM

Presumably. Which should be a nice way for the Red Wings to make a little cash anyway with the season cancelled.
  • SQUIRREL and Shaitan like this

#27 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,955 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 06:02 PM

Yes, their practice squad MAY be headquartered at Frontier Field seeing Rochester is only an hour or so drive from Buffalo.

#28 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,472 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:26 PM

Blue Jays' plan to play in Pittsburgh suddenly strikes out

Still no home. 

He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#29 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,101 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:05 AM

There are literally hundreds of empty minor league stadiums and plenty of nice AAA ballparks out there that would work. Why not play in a place like Indianapolis or Rochester? Fans won't be there anyways.

#30 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,432 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:26 AM

There are literally hundreds of empty minor league stadiums and plenty of nice AAA ballparks out there that would work. Why not play in a place like Indianapolis or Rochester? Fans won't be there anyways.

Clubhouse quality is probably a bigger factor than ever this year, since players are limited in what they do outside of the stadium.

If you were stuck somewhere for 60 days, would you want a 5-star hotel or a 3-star hotel?

#31 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,472 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:16 PM

Baltimore, maybe?

The writer does note the schedules match up well for this. 

I agree, diehard & Shaitan, they could play just about anywhere. I'd guess that the players want the nice clubhouses and the owners want the prime time game revenues. Feels like a reach to me. Just play day games if necessary and be glad you made it through the season. 

He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#32 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,783 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:38 PM

I'm sure there are some areas that would take them assuming the Blue Jays pay up to use the stadiums, but more so than the Midwest and South, the East Coast has battend down the hatches on the spread of Covid. Baltimore, Rochester, Buffalo, do we even know if they are any more interested in laying out the welcome mat for un-quarantined, transient new people than Pittsburgh was? 

The people making these decisions are going to have to weigh in the backlash they'll get when traveling ballplayers, who nobody even gets to go watch play, start testing positive in their communities.

#33 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,477 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:22 PM

Going to Florida would scare the heck out of me, but a team with a tight clubhouse and strong leadership should hold each other accountable and be ok

And if a mouse had wings, he'd be a Blue Jay..

#34 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,477 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:28 PM

While I would really like to see some baseball again, I can't help but see the Canadian government as the only grown-up in the room at the moment. 

Nick I couldn't have said it better. Thank you. 

#35 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,564 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 23 July 2020 - 06:38 PM

On the news today there was a mention of the Boston Bruins going up to Toronto to resume their NHL season. I haven't looked into what is so different about hockey that makes Canada more willing to allow the border to be crossed.

• Longdistancetwins likes this

Junk is stuff we throw away.Stuff is junk we keep.-- George Carlin

#36 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,856 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:41 PM

I’m not sure I agree with the decision the Canadian government is making regarding the Blue Jays...I don’t...but there is a difference in the scenarios. In the NHL, they’re going with the ‘hub’ approach. A couple of Canadian cities are among the hubs. Incoming teams will have time to quarantine, etc, etc.

(Intended to be in response to Ash’s post immediately above)
  • ashbury likes this

#37 pcq

pcq

Elizabethton Twins

• 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:29 AM

On the news today there was a mention of the Boston Bruins going up to Toronto to resume their NHL season. I haven't looked into what is so different about hockey that makes Canada more wiling to allow the border to be crossed.

The hockey teams go thru quarantine and are playing in two separate bubbles. No other travel is involved. Canada does not consider the US a safe border right now. The Blue Jay's will not be returning there either.
  • ashbury likes this

#38 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,955 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:09 AM

The hockey teams go thru quarantine and are playing in two separate bubbles. No other travel is involved. Canada does not consider the US a safe border right now. The Blue Jay's will not be returning there either.

The hockey teams are not going thru quarantine. People like the Strib writer is, but teams will travel to Canada on Monday, July 26. They will play their first exhibition game a few days later and begin the playoff series on the 2nd.

One difference is that all of these teams are being tested regularly and somewhat controlled while in their individual training camps. The other difference is that Canada was successful in getting both of the playoff hubs and well, hockey is Canada.

• ashbury likes this

#39 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,472 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:50 AM

• woolywoolhouse likes this
- J. L. Borges

#40 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,530 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:15 PM

Buffalo it is. I drove by the stadium last year. It looked nice enough. Facilities and lights? Well, the Jays will just have to make do.