Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

And then there is the case of the Blue Jays to consider

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,704 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:49 PM

https://www.sportsne...measures-place/

Here we are, theoretically two weeks away from Opening Day. The Blue Jays aren’t yet certain where they will play their home games. For now, they have been granted a special exemption from the Canadian government to work out at Rogers Centre. It is not yet certain if the Canadian government will let their opponents in the country. Let me repeat that: The Canadian government has not yet approved MLB teams to travel into Canada to play games at Rogers Centre.

The Jays are working on a few back up options. Choice one is Dunedin, their spring training headquarters. However, as I am sure most are aware Florida is one of the outbreak epicenters right now, tallying better than 50,000 new COVID cases in the last 7 days. To say that relocating there would be less than ideal is a vast understatement. The governor of Florida has (so far) supported MLB’s plans, but that could change if the outbreak surges even more. That, of course, would affect the Rays and Marlins as well. By the way, just in case anyone forgot, it’s hot in Florida in August. The Rays and Marlins have roofs on their stadiums. There is no roof in Dunedin.

That leads me to back up plan number two: Buffalo, New York. That’s where the Jays AAA affiliate has been. Among the downsides for that location is that the Jays don’t own the stadium. If the Jays play their home games in Toronto, they were planning to use it as their ATS. That would present problems of it’s own of course. But, if the Jays use Buffalo as their primary home, they have to have their ATS somewhere else. Most likely at the stadium of some other team’s AAA affiliate (Rochester possibly). Pretty sure the Red Wings won’t let them do that for free.

The words “it’s a hot mess” don’t even begin to describe this situation.
  • tarheeltwinsfan, VOMG, Platoon and 2 others like this

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,472 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:52 PM

I expected some hot messes like this. I wonder if another AL or NL East team might offer to share their venue. There would be minimum scheduling conflicts that way, though game times would have to be adjusted.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#3 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,704 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:03 PM

I expected some hot messes like this. I wonder if another AL or NL East team might offer to share their venue. There would be minimum scheduling conflicts that way, though game times would have to be adjusted.

That’s a possibility I suppose. If it’s being considered, it’s being done way under the radar. The Rays would make the most sense because then the Jays could use Dunedin as their ATS.

#4 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,472 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:20 PM

That’s a possibility I suppose. If it’s being considered, it’s being done way under the radar. The Rays would make the most sense because then the Jays could use Dunedin as their ATS.

Going to Florida would scare the heck out of me, but a team with a tight clubhouse and strong leadership should hold each other accountable and be ok
  • tarheeltwinsfan likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#5 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 558 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:50 AM

Based on death rates, Florida is safer than most of the states. (Even safer than MN)

https://www.statista...es-us-by-state/

Unfortunately death rates aren't a factor in their decision - infection rates are...

• VOMG likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#6 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,432 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:11 AM

I wonder if issues like this will make it harder for Montreal to eventually get a team again (or other non-USA expansion). It highlights one of many challenges.

#7 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,432 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:12 AM

Based on death rates, Florida is safer than most of the states. (Even safer than MN)

https://www.statista...es-us-by-state/

While off topic from the home of the Blue Jays, COVID-19 has many permanent damages besides death.

• gbg, VOMG and Bickle19 like this

#8 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,472 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:04 PM

- J. L. Borges

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,472 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:06 PM

The Blue Jays open the season on the road; in other words, in the U.S.

And they have just scheduled two scrimmages in Boston before the season starts.

What are the chances they play all their games on the road this season?

- J. L. Borges

#10 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,704 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:47 PM

The Blue Jays open the season on the road; in other words, in the U.S.

And they have just scheduled two scrimmages in Boston before the season starts.

What are the chances they play all their games on the road this season?

The chances that they play 0 games in Canada is probably 80%.

The chances that they don’t have a field that they call home is less than 10%. That scenario would involve stadium sharing. But I think Dunedin or Buffalo are far more likely than that.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#11 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,704 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:17 PM

Just an update, the Canadian Government is expected to make their decision as to whether MLB teams will be allowed to enter Canada without entering a two week quarrantine this week.

If I were a betting man, I’d say the odds of them allowing it are less than 10%. It also appears that Buffalo is the more likely replacement home. Meaning the Jays will have to borrow some lights from Batman to adequately light the field for TV broadcast.

https://247sports.co...rida-149108132/

#12 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,472 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:21 PM

I saw a poll somewhere that 80% of Canadians want the U.S.-Canada border closed, with no Americans coming in. So, yeah.
- J. L. Borges

#13 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,783 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:21 PM

While I would really like to see some baseball again, I can't help but see the Canadian government as the only grown-up in the room at the moment. 

• Craig Arko, Sconnie, tarheeltwinsfan and 3 others like this

#14 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,472 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:49 PM

While I would really like to see some baseball again, I can't help but see the Canadian government as the only grown-up in the room at the moment.

Strongly disagree. Anyway, a couple months ago, I thought it possible that Target Field might host two home teams (that the California teams might be forced to go on the road, like what seems likely to happen with Toronto). The schedules could have been made to accommodate that, I bet.
- J. L. Borges

#15 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,288 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:56 PM

Let us think in a bigger picture.The owners and players cannot have civil give and take in the middle of a crisis so we have a bastardized season that has the players upset and no one satisfied except Manfred and his hardliners.Now we have a team with a crisis.Baseball wants to be international - then step forward collectively and solve this problem.Don't try to make a profit off someone else's problem.Offer a place to play.Be reasonable.Try to show thatyou are a league and not a bunch of individual a-holes. 

• SQUIRREL likes this

#16 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,704 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 03:22 PM

https://www.espn.com...anada-ok-needed

The city of Toronto and the province of Ontario have given their approval. Still waiting on a decision from the Canadian federal government.

#17 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,704 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 08:08 PM

Jays still waiting to hear.

You know, this story is kinda presenting the news that only 5 players tested positive in the past week as good news. I realize players are still out in the community to varying degrees when they aren’t on the field. But I can’t imagine they are having much contact with anyone but each other. So, IMO that 5 tested positive while living very close to an isolated existence is concerning to me.

https://www.sportsne...s-plan-toronto/

#18 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• 273 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 01:26 PM

And Canada has said no. 

Hello Buffalo Blue Jays!

#19 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,415 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 01:31 PM

Buffalo makes the most sense, I think, since it's not going to be scorching there, and I think upper state New York isn't surging with the virus as much as Florida.... I think?

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#20 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• 273 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 01:56 PM

But according to a few on Twitter the facilities in Buffalo are terrible.