With the real Twins around the corner, I have elected to sim to the playoffs to try and tease how the real club will do this fall, and as it so happens, they will face a familiar foe in the ALDS.
American League Division Series Game One: Minnesota Twins @ New York Yankees 7:10pmCT
Well, it's time. I could go through all the miserable stats we have against New York like a national broadcast would at a time like this but we all know what this is. Rocco Baldelli said last year that this is a new Twins team and they don't believe in the curse from New York and he didn't even acknowledge there was one, but yet the Twins were swept by New York in the ALDS last year. Who knows what the real team has in store come October but either way, I believe it's the Twins fate to sleigh this dragon.
Where to watch.
Playoff Picture American League
- Wild Card:Houston Astros (95-67) @ Tampa Bay Rays (98-64)
- ALDS:Minnesota Twins (97-65) @ New York Yankees (99-63)
- Winner of ALWC @ Los Angeles Angels (99-63)
Starting Pitchers Game One
- Twins: Jose Berrios* 17-4, 3.71 ERA, 196.1 IP, 211 K's
- Yankees: Gerrit Cole** 19-6, 2.89 ERA, 233.2 IP, 308 K's
*=Berrios v. Cole III: In the two prior meetings this season, Berrios bested Cole in both outings and lead the Twins to 10-6 and 10-2 victories.
**=Gerrit Cole: MVP and Cy Young (First time that has been done since Clayton Kershaw in 2014).
Minnesota Batting Order
- 2B Luis Arraez* .324 BA, 4 HR, 34 RBI
- SS Jorge Polanco .262 BA, 16 HR, 77 RBI
- 3B Josh Donaldson .266 BA, 30 HR, 82 RBI
- DH Nelson Cruz .291 BA, 41 HR, 124 RBI
- 1B Miguel Sano .263 BA, 37 HR, 87 RBI
- RF Max Kepler .278 BA, 43 HR, 92 RBI
- C Mitch Garver** .307 BA, 32 HR, 81 RBI
- LF Eddie Rosario .290 BA, 33 HR, 91RBI
- CF Byron Buxton .253 BA, 18 HR, 68 RBI
*=Luis Arraez: AL Batting Champ (.324)
**=Mitch Garver: AL Silver Slugger, Catcher.
New York Batting Order
- 2B D.J. LeMahieu* .319 BA, 17 HR, 80 RBI
- 3B Gio Urshela .314 BA, 28 HR, 74 RBI
- RF Aaron Judge .257 BA, 18 HR, 55 RBI
- DH Giancarlo Stanton .293 BA, 53 HR, 106 RBI
- SS Gleyber Torres .259 BA, 41 HR, 105 RBI
- 1B Luke Voit .243 BA, 25 HR, 74 RBI
- C Gary Sanchez .215 BA, 13 HR, 34 RBI
- LF Brett Gardner .232 BA, 16 HR, 50 RBI
- CF Aaron Hicks .229 BA, 16 HR, 49 RBI
*=D.J. LeMahieu: Gold Glove 2nd Base
- I was 7 years old the last time the Twins won a playoff game and it's been even longer since the Twins won a playoff series. But unlike year's past the Twins have had some success against New York this season. They nearly swept the Yankees in New York for the first time in 60 years, they took the season series 5-2, but now they face their toughest task yet, and game one is the most important of the series.
- We've talked about the Twins success this year against New York but nobody has been sharper against the Yankees than Max Kepler and Jose Berrios. First on Kepler, in 23 at-bats against New York this season he is batting .478 with 4 HR, 11 RBI and his slugging a RIDICULOUS .929. If that's not enough Jose Berrios has been lights out against New York this season. In his only two starts against them he is 2-0 with a 1.29 ERA with only 3 BB and 20 K's. The Twins have the firepower and the pitching to back it up, but will it be enough to defeat the Evil Empire? You'll have to tune in to find out.