Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Miguel Sanó Tests Positive for COVID-19

miguel sano luis arraez nick gordon edwar colina
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,690 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:11 PM

good question as to who's at first now...hmmmm maybe Marwin?

Probably Sano. We’re three weeks out from opening day.
  • Danchat likes this

#22 chinmusic

chinmusic

Elizabethton Twins

• 40 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:30 PM

Probably Sano. We’re three weeks out from opening day.

Right! Opening day, being late March 2021.

• Channing1964 likes this

#23 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

why we can't have nice things

• 9,161 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:38 PM

yes. Of course.

No. Who's got Covid.
  • ashbury and Sconnie like this

#24 Channing1964

Channing1964

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 536 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:37 AM

Right! Opening day, being late March 2021.

I know Right...i was just wondering if Larnach or Kiriloff might sneak in there for a couple games

#25 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,478 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:54 AM

Morbid question, but what would happen if a player on a long-term contract were to die (Covid-19 or otherwise)? Is the team still obligated to pay the unearned salary?

Triples are more fun than home runs; stolen bases are more fun than strikeouts; singles are more fun than walks.

#26 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,890 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 05 July 2020 - 08:36 AM

Morbid question, but what would happen if a player on a long-term contract were to die (Covid-19 or otherwise)? Is the team still obligated to pay the unearned salary?

I would expect there would be insurance in that case, wouldn't there?

Update your priors.

#27 HrbieFan

HrbieFan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 131 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 08:44 AM

Hope Sano is asymptomatic and is back to full strength shortly
  • wabene and TouchEmAllGuy like this

#28 joefish

joefish

• 187 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:24 AM

11. Thou shalt not play baseball in 2020. Is that clear?
  • Nine of twelve likes this

#29 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:32 AM

Just updated the article to add that Sano is presently feeling well and not experiencing any symptoms, thank goodness.

• Sconnie and DocBauer like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#30 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,438 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:51 AM

I'm thinking MLBPA is going to recommend no 2020 season. Lots of players testing positive and more deciding not to play, just a matter of time.....

Thought I saw 1.2% of players, coaches and staff tested were positive somewhere. (MLBTR, maybe)

#31 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:29 AM

Thought I saw 1.2% of players, coaches and staff tested were positive somewhere. (MLBTR, maybe)

Which is probably consistent with the infection rate of the country as a whole.

#32 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,983 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 06 July 2020 - 06:07 AM

No. Who's got Covid.

What now?
  • ashbury likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#33 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,165 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:07 AM

Isn't this a good thing for Sano and the Twins? He is asymptomatic and shouldn't have to worry about missing any of the season. I take this as a positive for him.

• biswrest likes this

#34 bunsen82

bunsen82

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 120 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 10:56 AM

I am surprised by the responses in this thread. Assuming asymptomatic, this is an ok occurrence, happens before the start of the season, and will likely have immunity the rest of the season.If I were the baseball players I would be tempted assuming I had no one else at risk, to have gotten the virus back in june, and then quarantined myself for 2 weeks.Then there would be minimal risk to effect the season, the downside is if someone had severe complications.The team is going to be affected by someone contracting covid during the season, right now we have 3-4 players who we know will not. 

#35 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:20 AM

I am surprised by the responses in this thread. Assuming asymptomatic, this is an ok occurrence, happens before the start of the season, and will likely have immunity the rest of the season.If I were the baseball players I would be tempted assuming I had no one else at risk, to have gotten the virus back in june, and then quarantined myself for 2 weeks.Then there would be minimal risk to effect the season, the downside is if someone had severe complications.The team is going to be affected by someone contracting covid during the season, right now we have 3-4 players who we know will not. 

If you eliminate uncertainties, sure, but as you alluded to, there's no guaranteeing a player who contracts the virus is not going to have complications. Additionally, at this time it appears antibodies only last for so long. It is possible to test positive, recover, then test positive a second time some point down the road.

#36 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,102 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:26 AM

If you eliminate uncertainties, sure, but as you alluded to, there's no guaranteeing a player who contracts the virus is not going to have complications. Additionally, at this time it appears antibodies only last for so long. It is possible to test positive, recover, then test positive a second time some point down the road.

was this an anti-body test or a positive test? There are pretty big differences and unfortunately plenty of states as well as the CDC have been conflating the results.

#37 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 12:10 PM

was this an anti-body test or a positive test? There are pretty big differences and unfortunately plenty of states as well as the CDC have been conflating the results.

I don't believe players are being tested for antibodies at this time.

Keeping this to the context of baseball, MLB will continue to regularly test players who have previously tested positive. If they test positive a second time, they will have to go through the quarantine/two negative tests/approval process again prior to returning to work.

#38 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,136 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 06 July 2020 - 03:04 PM

Viruses mutate. People can get the flu or common cold, several times in a season, even with a vaccine.

Unfortunately we still aren't sure yet if Covid is like Measles, or if Covid is like Flu, or somewhere in the middle.

• bunsen82 likes this

#39 bunsen82

bunsen82

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 120 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 03:45 PM

Antibodies generally last at minimum 6-9 months, similar to flu vaccines.I sure hope the season is done by December.The bigger issue is if there are different strains caused by mutations. 

• Sconnie and Tom Froemming like this

#40 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

why we can't have nice things

• 9,161 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:43 PM

What now?

Yeah. Today too.
  • ashbury likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, luis arraez, nick gordon, edwar colina