Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

ESPNU names its all-time College Baseball Team

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,162 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:22 PM

Technically it was voted on by fans and was supposed to only take into effect collegiate accomplishments:

RHP- Big Ben McDonald LSU

LHP- Greg Swindell Texas

Closer- Huston Street Texas

1B- Will Clark Mississippi St

2B- Todd Walker LSU

SS- Alex Bregman LSU

3B- Robin Ventura Oklahoma St

LF- Barry Bonds Arizona St

CF- J.D. Drew Florida St

RF- Joe Carter Wichita St

C- Buster Posey Florida St

2-way Player- John Olerud Washington St

I think Bregman benefited from currently being in the spotlight but the only positions I had a huge beef with was LF. Bonds is obviously incredible but PETE INCAVIGLIA IN COLLEGE... my God, he was incredible. The only guy to hit 100 home runs in a career, he hit 48 with 138 RBI and a SLUGGING over 1.100 one season.

I'm sure some people will say Winfield as 2 way player and that was my initial thought, as well, but Olerud's stats in college were incredible. Likewise, Fred Lynn was my initial pick for CF but I can't argue with Drew being the only 30/30 guy in college history.

I don't think McDonald was the best RHP either but that is a personal opinion. I also would have picked Bob Horner over Walker at 2B. Again personal preference.

Thoughts on the fans voting results?

#2 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,608 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:16 AM

Lots of very good MLB players, but it seems surprising that the very, very best at the college level produces only one or two with HOF-worthy credentials (I'm including Posey). I recognize it's a different game and context, but I would have assumed more. 

I suppose one factor is also that by definition, several years of college is going to mean that a player doesn't make the majors before 21 or 22 and likely 23 or 24, so they have a tougher time putting up counting stats than a guy who signs from high school or internationally and climbs quickly enough to reach MLB at 20.