Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Take Landis Name off the MVP Award

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 802 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:18 PM

Baseball writers voted his name on the award. If they want to vote him off, that is their prerogative. I really don't care one way or another.

#42 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,472 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:32 PM

I still want to know who here knew the MVP award was named for Landis prior to this discussion?

I did not know, or, just as likely, I had run across it somewhere but forgotten.
  • SQUIRREL and diehardtwinsfan like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#43 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,354 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:34 PM

I have read though this whole thread, and I don't see one person saying he should be on the trophy. There are some on here pointing out history, culture and things he did, but not justify why he should be on the trophy or that he was even an OK person. There are others trying to prove they are be more righteous then the rest because of their wokeness.

And because nobody is arguing he should stay it turned into a conversation about the first Commissioner of baseball and the culture around that time which I believe is a good thing, isn't learning about the good and bad history of the sport/league we talk about on this site help beneficial to understanding the game today?

That wasn't my question, nor was it me stating any opinion. I wanted to know who knew the award was named for him BEFORE reading this thread. That's my question.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#44 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,690 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:45 PM

That wasn't my question, nor was it me stating any opinion. I wanted to know who knew the award was named for him BEFORE reading this thread. That's my question.

I was vaguely aware of it; one of those things I’d see every couple of years as a player hoisted the trophy and then I’d forget about it again.

#45 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,690 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:52 PM

There are others trying to prove they are be more righteous then the rest because of their wokeness.

Stop projecting intent upon and disparaging other posters because they disagree with you or, maybe more accurately, do not 100% agree with you.

#46 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,354 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:17 PM

Moderator note: The off-topic tangents have been removed or edited. It's easy to reach for these tangents, and understand how they are related, but keep this focused on Landis and the MVP award ... or if there are other awards in baseball that might also be pertinent to this discussion ... so we don't end up in something completely not baseball related.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#47 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,354 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:34 PM

I was vaguely aware of it; one of those things I’d see every couple of years as a player hoisted the trophy and then I’d forget about it again.

I didn't know about it before starting in this thread. And didn't really know much about Landis, either. So, I'm learning. And from what I've learned about his history from others and from what I've read on my own, and his history in baseball, I don't think naming the MVP award after him is appropriate. His history in the sport is there, ensconced, for all the read and draw their own conclusions. To me it doesn't matter that he came from a different time period, his actions then are not appropriate for today. All imo, of course. I'm not sure I would go so far as to petition to rename the MVP award, I mean, I didn't even know about it before. And maybe because I didn't know about before, and many others likely didn't either, is more reason to just drop the name from the award because, eh, so what. However, put the question in a different way ... if there was no name attached to the MVP award, and they wanted to call it something, what would you suggest? Would you name it for Landis? Would you not name it at all? Is there another or a thing to name it for that might be better?

• Vanimal46 likes this

#48 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 802 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:24 PM

I didn't know about it before starting in this thread. And didn't really know much about Landis, either. So, I'm learning. And from what I've learned about his history from others and from what I've read on my own, and his history in baseball, I don't think naming the MVP award after him is appropriate. His history in the sport is there, ensconced, for all the read and draw their own conclusions. To me it doesn't matter that he came from a different time period, his actions then are not appropriate for today. All imo, of course. I'm not sure I would go so far as to petition to rename the MVP award, I mean, I didn't even know about it before. And maybe because I didn't know about before, and many others likely didn't either, is more reason to just drop the name from the award because, eh, so what. However, put the question in a different way ... if there was no name attached to the MVP award, and they wanted to call it something, what would you suggest? Would you name it for Landis? Would you not name it at all? Is there another or a thing to name it for that might be better?

How about we just call it the Most Valuable Player award? That’ll save us the time and hassle 30 years down the road when it turns out the person we named it after is no longer socially acceptable.
  • SQUIRREL likes this

#49 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,354 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:30 PM

How about we just call it the Most Valuable Player award? That’ll save us the time and hassle 30 years down the road when it turns out the person we named it after is no longer socially acceptable.

Pretty much. I guess what I was getting at was since no one really knew the name attachment, just drop that and the award is what most thought it was anyway.

#50 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,888 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:34 PM

I still want to know who here knew the MVP award was named for Landis prior to this discussion?

I neither knew nor much cared, I guess. I did know who Landis was prior to this site’s existence. :)

I always wanted to know what it would be like to simultaneously experience the 1918 flu,  Great Depression, and 1968 mass protests while Andrew Johnson was president.

#51 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,783 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:52 PM

Geez, that's a mouthful. How will I ever remember what that award is even for? 

• ashbury and In My La-Z-boy like this

#52 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 426 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:55 PM

How about renaming it The Bobby Bonilla Award?Certainly, he given the most value in return for his actual value as a player.That makes him the ultimate Most Valuable Player. 

#53 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,554 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:02 PM

I didn’t know the MVP had a name tied to it, nor did I know who Landis was prior to this thread.

It doesn’t matter to me if a name is tied to an award or not... But, if they changed the name, there’s a few unanimous or near unanimous 1st ballot HOF players they could choose from. Derek Jeter, Ken Griffey Jr... Mariano Rivera Reliever of the year award?

#54 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 802 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:07 PM

Geez, that's a mouthful. How will I ever remember what that award is even for?

While I’m sure it’ll be difficult at the start I’d imagine we’d all get used to it eventually
  • SQUIRREL and In My La-Z-boy like this

#55 wavedog

wavedog

• 1,106 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:37 PM

I was not aware the MVP awards were named after Landis - a bit confusing because there is an AL MVP and NL MVP so two awards and it looks like they are both named after him. My first thought is that they should be named after a great predominantly AL player and a great predominantly NL player respectively.That would seem to provide a good historical recognition fit and make it more identifiable to a league. I know several of the HOF players already have other awards named for them.I would have to see who was available or maybe move the award names around - maybeBabe Ruth and Jackie Robinson?Without factoring in on the tipping point of Landis achievements versus his racism, naming it after Landis right after he left office might have made sense in the 1940's but doesn't seem to make as much sense now.I would be in favor of the Baseball writers reviewing this and making a recommendation. 

#56 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,888 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:44 PM

Eventually I expect it will look like a fish and be called The Trout MVP Award.

• SQUIRREL, ashbury and nicksaviking like this

I always wanted to know what it would be like to simultaneously experience the 1918 flu,  Great Depression, and 1968 mass protests while Andrew Johnson was president.

#57 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 802 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:12 PM

Eventually I expect it will look like a fish and be called The Trout MVP Award.

Will it sing?
  • SQUIRREL likes this

#58 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,690 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:21 PM

Branch Rickey? He’s not infallible but also potentially the most influential person in all of baseball history. He created the modern farm system and signed Robinson.

As to Landis, he, like Cobb, is still in Cooperstown. I have not heard a single person call for their removal from the Hall of Fame so the “erasing history” argument is utter garbage. Both of them have their place in baseball history acknowledged, there is no need to celebrate either.
  • SQUIRREL and Trov like this

#59 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,690 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:58 PM

Another player who deserves recognition with an award is Curt Floyd. He literally sacrificed his career to end the reserve clause, and it was a damned good career. 42 WAR through his age 31 season, averaging 4.4 WAR his final three seasons before the contract dispute.

#60 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,564 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:19 PM

Another player who deserves recognition with an award is Curt Floyd. He literally sacrificed his career to end the reserve clause, and it was a damned good career. 42 WAR through his age 31 season, averaging 4.4 WAR his final three seasons before the contract dispute.

Sign of the times, even with typos, I guess.

• Brock Beauchamp and h2oface like this

Junk is stuff we throw away.Stuff is junk we keep.-- George Carlin