Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Peoria playing in the AFL Championship Game

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

If you have MLB Network, you can watch it live now. If you're on your computer, go to mlb.com and find the link to watch it there as well.

Nate Roberts is batting 2nd and DHing for Peoria.

In his first plate appearance, he worked a four-pitch walk off of the Nationals' Ryan Perry. The next batter, Mike Zunino, singled to left and Roberts advanced all the way to 3rd base. He scored on a 1-2-3 double play.

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

2nd plate appearance - Roberts flew out to left field.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

3rd plate appearance - Roberts singled to RF off a tough left-hander, Santos Rodriguez of the White Sox.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

4th plate appearance - single to centerfield off of RHP Michael Marbry of the Rockies organization. (2-3 with a walk.)

#5 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

This is my first time watching him Seth. He is tearing up the AFL against the top prospects from every team, yet he isn't even in our top 20. He doesn't have the raw tools that everyone looks for, but he has had success at every level. Not a fair comparison, but is he an outfield version of pedroia? He doesn't look the 6'-1" he is listed as.

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

he's not as free of a swinger as Pedroia. He's just a solid player and a solid prospect. He's got a chance to be a big leaguer, for sure. But when you compare his tools to OF ranked ahead of him (Buxton, Arcia, Rosario, Benson, etc), Roberts isn't going to jump out. Also, the fact that he played again in Beloit doesn't help his prospect status. That said, if they start him in AA New Britain next year and he plays well, he should move up lists.

#7 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Reds number one prospect injured crashing into the outfield wall. Tough break. Infielder, converting to the outfield. Walked off with assistance of the trainers.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Of course, the trainer for Peoria... is a Twins trainer...

With Billy Hamilton out of the game, Zach Collier moved from LF to CF with Twins prospect Evan Bigley taking over in LF.

#9 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Guys like Roberts fascinate me. As you mentioned Seth, he doesn't have the tools that stand out, yet he has succeeded at every level he has played. He is not big, he is not fast, he doesn't have the beautiful swing but he gets the bat on the ball consistently and manages to get on base.

I guess I compare it to the guys hat the NFL scouting combine. Would you rather take the guy that is fast, agile and strong or the guy that actually shows up tackles the ball carrier. Roberts only got 283 AB's in 2011 and 352 AB's in 2012. Obviously he was not in the lineup everyday. Was he platooned? Did he miss some games because of injury? I know you have to get some playing time for everyone on the team, but I'm surprised he wasn't in the lineup more often.

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

IN the top of the 9th, Nate Roberts singled again. He is now 3-4 with a walk in this championship game. During the regular AFL season, he led the league in Batting Average, On-Base Percentage and Slugging Percentage. Nice showing!

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

Guys like Roberts fascinate me. As you mentioned Seth, he doesn't have the tools that stand out, yet he has succeeded at every level he has played. He is not big, he is not fast, he doesn't have the beautiful swing but he gets the bat on the ball consistently and manages to get on base.

I guess I compare it to the guys hat the NFL scouting combine. Would you rather take the guy that is fast, agile and strong or the guy that actually shows up tackles the ball carrier. Roberts only got 283 AB's in 2011 and 352 AB's in 2012. Obviously he was not in the lineup everyday. Was he platooned? Did he miss some games because of injury? I know you have to get some playing time for everyone on the team, but I'm surprised he wasn't in the lineup more often.

He's had knee problems his first two seasons. That's why the lack of ABs. He is actually pretty fast, and he has a really sweet left-handed swing. He also just knows how to get on base.

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

Congratulations to Nate Roberts, Evan Bigley, Dan Rohlfing, Kyle Gibson, Michael Tonkin, Logan Darnell and Caleb Thielbar and the rest of the Peoria Javelinas on their 2012 Arizona Fall League championship.

#13 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

the only twins really trusted to play in this game was nate roberts. (well....... bigley was a late inning replacement when hamilton got injured.)
nate led the AFL in average, slugging, OBP, and OPS. will he be the anthony slama with a bat, and never get a shot? no twins' pitchers were close to getting in the game. i wonder what that means?

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

There is a chance that Roberts becomes the offensive Anthony Slama. Those are the only two players that even I believe have not been moved up quickly enough.

As for the pitchers... Gibson started earlier this week, so he wasn't going to pitch. Tonkin has been awesome, but he finally gave up afew runs this week after none the first 5 weeks. Darnell started as well. Thielbar wasn't going to pitch in a championship game.