Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Neal: Twins Radio Broadcast Team Will Not Travel

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 557 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:59 AM

Considering Covid only lasts 30 minutes in sunlight, play day games and have announcers sit in stands. Rise in Covid cases in south has been attributed to people going into businesses to escape heat and close contact in businesses. Air conditioning circulating air in buildings is suspected as major cause up uptick in cases. Domed stadiums should be required to keep roofs open. 

The real problem is security at the games, will Twins be increasing security in the area of Target Field if fans are ever allowed at games? 

30 minutes of sun is a cure? I hadn't heard that. My son who lives south of Phoenix told me they've had nothing but sun, yet folks down there are filling up the ICU with coronavirus cases. So if the Arizona governor orders all AC to be shut off for 30 minutes every day and all citizens must go outside for the full 30 minutes there would soon be no more virus?

• Sconnie, Platoon, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#22 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:04 AM

Considering Covid only lasts 30 minutes in sunlight, play day games and have announcers sit in stands. Rise in Covid cases in south has been attributed to people going into businesses to escape heat and close contact in businesses. Air conditioning circulating air in buildings is suspected as major cause up uptick in cases. Domed stadiums should be required to keep roofs open.
The real problem is security at the games, will Twins be increasing security in the area of Target Field if fans are ever allowed at games?

Link? First time I’m hearing covid lasts 30 min in the sunshine... I would love to share this information directly with Governor Abbott in Texas so we’re no longer a hot spot. Thanks.
  • Platoon and Nine of twelve like this

#23 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,864 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:13 AM

Link? First time I’m hearing covid lasts 30 min in the sunshine... I would love to share this information directly with Governor Abbott in Texas so we’re no longer a hot spot. Thanks.

If you're Dracula, maybe 3 minutes. I seem to remember Billy the Kid vs. Dracula from my youth.

• Vanimal46 and Dave The Dastardly like this

I always wanted to know what it would be like to simultaneously experience the 1918 flu,  Great Depression, and 1968 mass protests while Andrew Johnson was president.

#24 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,394 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:51 AM

You’re still in Austin, correct? Here’s a link to a report last month from your NBC affiliate.

https://www.kxan.com...irect-sunlight/
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#25 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,394 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:01 PM

30 minutes of sun is a cure? I hadn't heard that. My son who lives south of Phoenix told me they've had nothing but sun, yet folks down there are filling up the ICU with coronavirus cases. So if the Arizona governor orders all AC to be shut off for 30 minutes every day and all citizens must go outside for the full 30 minutes there would soon be no more virus?

probably not. I think the virus lives longest inside the body, where sunlight does not reach.
  • Brock Beauchamp and Nine of twelve like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#26 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,394 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:06 PM

On topic: we rag on Dick a lot on this site, but he’s actually a really good announcer. Cory and Dan are great. Uecker is a legend but his radio calls lack imagination.
  • bighat likes this
- J. L. Borges

#27 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 557 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:56 PM

probably not. I think the virus lives longest inside the body, where sunlight does not reach.

Oh yeah. That's why we're supposed to drink bleach and/or inject Lysol, right?

Gotta wonder if MLB is going to swap out gatorade for Chlorox in the dugout...

Forgive the sarcasm, but I'm going to be damned surprised if this truncated season goes beyond a couple of weeks what with all the virus outbreaks we're seeing right now. Much as I enjoy baseball I think both the sport, the fans and the players will be better off if we write this season off and instead focus efforts on making damn sure we've got all the angles worked out for a full, safe, nearly-normal season in 2021. Better that than screwing the pooch on what's left of 2020 and all of 2021.

But I sure would like to be surprised...

• Nine of twelve likes this

#28 Trov

Trov

Ft Myers Miracle

• 413 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:14 PM

ESPN has been doing Korean baseball from their homes.Easy to do this day in age.Why send broadcasts guys on the road?They normally are just watching monitors anyways and not the game as it is played, like back in the day before TV.It is interesting, if you have never done it, to listen to radio broadcast while watching tv, to see how the radio guys tell you what is going on.To be clear, radio also uses monitors, but they have a different job to tell someone that cannot see what is happening. 

I remember listing to radio back in the day, John Gordan getting super excited about a deep fly ball that was way back way back, he would get you on the edge of your seat thinking this might be a HR, or a double off the wall, maybe an amazing catch.Then I would see the play on TV, only to see a fly ball caught just in front of the track with fielder camped under it. 

#29 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:31 PM

You’re still in Austin, correct? Here’s a link to a report last month from your NBC affiliate.

https://www.kxan.com...irect-sunlight/

Fantastic. I’m on hold with the Governor’s office right now. Crisis averted! Play ball!
  • Platoon and Dave The Dastardly like this

#30 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,259 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:59 PM

Not a chance there's going to be any fans at games this year.

#31 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,887 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:51 PM

From what I can see, they've not named a replacement for Ed Farmer yet. I was not aware that he passed away in April because of kidney disease. 

Nor was I. That's a shame.

#32 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,162 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:32 PM

ESPN has been doing Korean baseball from their homes.Easy to do this day in age.Why send broadcasts guys on the road?They normally are just watching monitors anyways and not the game as it is played, like back in the day before TV.It is interesting, if you have never done it, to listen to radio broadcast while watching tv, to see how the radio guys tell you what is going on.To be clear, radio also uses monitors, but they have a different job to tell someone that cannot see what is happening. 

I remember listing to radio back in the day, John Gordan getting super excited about a deep fly ball that was way back way back, he would get you on the edge of your seat thinking this might be a HR, or a double off the wall, maybe an amazing catch.Then I would see the play on TV, only to see a fly ball caught just in front of the track with fielder camped under it. 

Gladden may not be the best for this...

I rarely listen to the radio broadcast unless I'm driving but in this instance that I repeat often, Gladden's call went like this in a one run ball game in the top of the ninth: "Beckham with a long fly ball and it's twisting toward the foul line and it's in the seats."

Then nothing.

Then me screaming at a stoplight: "Was it ****ing fair or foul?!?!!"

Moments later: "Here's the pitch by Nathan. Ball one in the dirt."

Me: "Thank ****ing Christ!"

That sequence took probably 30-45 seconds without me having any idea what happened.

• Sconnie, Trov, Platoon and 1 other like this

#33 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,608 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:42 PM

I rarely listen to the radio broadcast unless I'm driving but in this instance that I repeat often, Gladden's call went like this in a one run ball game in the top of the ninth: "Beckham with a long fly ball and it's twisting toward the foul line and it's in the seats."

Then nothing.

That sequence took probably 30-45 seconds without me having any idea what happened.

He probably still hasn’t given the score from that game. 

#34 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,650 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:45 PM

You clearly have not heard the Yankees or Red Sox TV broadcasters. They are awful and some of the biggest homers, have been for ever. You dont want to listen to that.

The Twins won’t be playing either team this year so Twins fans won’t have to listen to them.

#35 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,650 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:48 PM

Then nothing.

I still remember Gladden’s first year in the booth. He said the phrase “without a doubt” about every ten minutes. He must have had someone say something to him because he has rarely said it since.

#36 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,193 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:48 AM

I am sure there are lots of other teams radio guys who lack this and that. But we have our own right her in MN. Disco Dan Gladden. If you want to listen to a game, and want to know the little things, like the score, the inning, who’s playing, and maybe the day of the week or what city they are in, you better have to go at least 100 miles minimum...  :)

• Nine of twelve likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#37 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 178 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:40 AM

https://www.startrib...ason/571529672/

LaVelle Neal also wrote that the Twins radio broadcast crew (including Cory Provus and Dan Gladden) will not travel on the road during the 2020 season. They will, however, call all 60 games. They will view the road games on a monitor and call them from the Twin Cities. 

The decision is clearly due to the goal of keeping the traveling party as minimal as possible. 

Will he wear the glove for the road games is the question? 

• Platoon likes this

#38 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,608 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:03 AM

I am sure there are lots of other teams radio guys who lack this and that. But we have our own right her in MN. Disco Dan Gladden. If you want to listen to a game, and want to know the little things, like the score, the inning, who’s playing, and maybe the day of the week or what city they are in, you better have to go at least 100 miles minimum... :)

And that's what so rough about listening. As an analyst, Gladden is okay -- not my favorite, but okay. But in innings 4-6 when he does play-by-play, he just doesn't seem to get the basics such as that you can hardly say the score too often. 

#39 Trov

Trov

Ft Myers Miracle

• 413 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:32 PM

Then nothing.

That was actually my point about listening to radio while watching game.You learn who is really good or not.I felt John Gordon was decent, but when I started to see how excited he would get over routine plays, and sometimes have no emotion for big plays it was crazy.The worst, is Pirates radio.They only have one broadcast team, and the radio just uses the TV broadcast.You will hear you can see the player do something, but no I am on the radio I cannot see anything, you need to tell me what you are seeing.The best of all time was Vin Scully.He would do both TV and Radio but was so smooth and wonderful.He would tell you every pitch, but not miss a beat in his story.So many times with our current crew for Twins on radio I will hear pitch 1, then they tell some story and now the count is full.Sure nothing too important happened, but still annoying. 

#40 Ebby Calvin Laloosh

Ebby Calvin Laloosh

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 73 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:15 PM

The ESPN crew doing KBO from home has been rough. The first 4 innings are reserved to discuss the fact that its early in the morning and how much coffee is being consumed. The rest of the game is full of interviews. No discussion of the game or what's going on on the field. I don't get why they feel the need to interview 5 people during a baseball game. I see that the KBO reporter, Daniel Kim is useful to speak with but if I wanted to listen to awful interviewers interview people poorly I'd watch the rest of ESPN programming.

I think the hard thing to do is to judge the play remotely. It's taken me three years to realize that a double to the gap is actually an out when Buxton's playing. You see the trajectory of the ball off the bat and for my entire life balls hit like that are doubles. What you don't see over the TV feed (which is following the ball) is that Buxton is moving at Mach 2 after two steps and is going to coast under it.

Gonna be an adjustment calling games while not at the park. Not sure Dick and Bert are going to be able to adapt well, but the announcers are the least of my concerns going forward this year.