Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Neal: Twins Radio Broadcast Team Will Not Travel

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,302 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:12 PM

https://www.startrib...ason/571529672/

LaVelle Neal also wrote that the Twins radio broadcast crew (including Cory Provus and Dan Gladden) will not travel on the road during the 2020 season. They will, however, call all 60 games. They will view the road games on a monitor and call them from the Twin Cities. 

The decision is clearly due to the goal of keeping the traveling party as minimal as possible. 

• nicksaviking, tarheeltwinsfan, nclahammer and 2 others like this

#2 thuuuuney

thuuuuney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 136 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:15 PM

https://www.startrib...ason/571529672/

LaVelle Neal also wrote that the Twins radio broadcast crew (including Cory Provus and Dan Gladden) will not travel on the road during the 2020 season. They will, however, call all 60 games. They will view the road games on a monitor and call them from the Twin Cities. 

The decision is clearly due to the goal of keeping the traveling party as minimal as possible. 

Had heard about this months ago and now confirmed, I'm assuming this is the same for Dick Bremer and the FSN team as well?

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,302 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:04 PM

Had heard about this months ago and now confirmed, I'm assuming this is the same for Dick Bremer and the FSN team as well

I haven't heard that. Nothing has been announced yet.

#4 OldTimeTwinkie

OldTimeTwinkie

• 196 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:50 PM

They should just let the home team provide the feed for both teams and it solves all the problems. I think people would enjoy hearing the other broadcasters.
  • Seth Stohs, Twins33, benchwarmerjim and 8 others like this

#5 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,163 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:43 PM

I'm still not convinced a season will even occur.

• Puckett34, Platoon, SF Twins Fan and 3 others like this

#6 Thegrin

Thegrin

• 1,099 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:00 PM

Dick should be protected from the virus.Some solution should be found to protect him from contracting the flu.

• USNMCPO and Platoon like this

#7 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,193 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:34 AM

I don’t know if the season will even got out of the gate either, but I am pretty sure it won’t finish. But, as long as it goes on I do like the idea of listening to the home teams broadcast team. 

I know MLB is trying to make a mole hill out of a mountain, but this whole thing seems a bad idea in both practice and principle. And very lastly, economics. 

• tarheeltwinsfan, SF Twins Fan, jud6312 and 2 others like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#8 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 113 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:52 AM

They should just let the home team provide the feed for both teams and it solves all the problems. I think people would enjoy hearing the other broadcasters.

You clearly have not heard the Yankees or Red Sox TV broadcasters. They are awful and some of the biggest homers, have been for ever. You dont want to listen to that. 

• IndianaTwin likes this

#9 Intramural Legend

Intramural Legend

• 543 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:18 AM

I heard somewhere that there will be only one video broadcast of the game, but that each team will have their own announcers.The away announcers will broadcast from a studio, and the actual video will be required to be impartial to the two teams.

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,744 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:20 AM

Gladden will now fail to catch popups back into the booth at half the rate of most years.

• ashbury, USAFChief, Sconnie and 2 others like this

#11 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• 174 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:34 PM

I have heard some of the other broadcasters and I vote no. Then again, maybe if that were the case, a lot of folks would quit complaining about the Twins broadcasters.

• woolywoolhouse, DocBauer and ToddlerHarmon like this

#12 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 546 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:10 PM

You clearly have not heard the Yankees or Red Sox TV broadcasters. They are awful and some of the biggest homers, have been for ever. You dont want to listen to that. 

You won't have to listen to them since because the Twins won't play the Yankees or the Red Sox during the regular season...

• notoriousgod71, Danchat, woolywoolhouse and 3 others like this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#13 ToddlerHarmon

ToddlerHarmon

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 111 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:18 PM

This sounds good, until you have to listen to Hawk Harrelson for an entire weekend

• bighat likes this

#14 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,163 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:40 PM

Luckily we only play Central teams this year.

Although Hudler is nauseating.

#15 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,608 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:46 PM

This sounds good, until you have to listen to Hawk Harrelson for an entire weekend

He gone. 

And by that I mean, he’s retired. 

(I do concur with the spirit of this post, however. The current White Sox guys are excellent though.)

• ToddlerHarmon and bighat like this

#16 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,890 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:19 PM

He gone. 

And by that I mean, he’s retired. 

(I do concur with the spirit of this post, however. The current White Sox guys are excellent though.)

I'm not familiar with the CWS TV people but their radio team is top notch.

#17 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,130 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:03 PM

Their TV team is pretty good, too ... now that Harrelson is gone.

• IndianaTwin and Nine of twelve like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#18 Buddy Holly

Buddy Holly

Elizabethton Twins

• 46 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:15 PM

Considering Covid only lasts 30 minutes in sunlight, play day games and have announcers sit in stands. Rise in Covid cases in south has been attributed to people going into businesses to escape heat and close contact in businesses. Air conditioning circulating air in buildings is suspected as major cause up uptick in cases. Domed stadiums should be required to keep roofs open. 

The real problem is security at the games, will Twins be increasing security in the area of Target Field if fans are ever allowed at games? 

#19 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,608 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:08 AM

Really? I've not cared for Darrin Jackson at all. But then again, I've mainly seen him when he was paired with Hawk on the TV side, so maybe that was the issue. After all, I wasn't a big Steve Stone fan when he was with Hawk, but I've reconsidered since he's been paired with Jason Benetti on TV. Their teamwork is such that it brings out the best in each other. 

From what I can see, they've not named a replacement for Ed Farmer yet. I was not aware that he passed away in April because of kidney disease. 

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:35 AM

Marney Gelner hinted on KFAN last week that this is going to be a similar set up for the TV crew too. Each team will use the feed from the home team, and they will be reacting to the action they see on monitor in the Twin Cities.