Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Announce 60-Man Player Pool for Summer Camp

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,907 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:55 AM

I will go on record and make a prediction about Kirilloff. He will be added to the active roster by mid-season at the latest. When added, he will be playing in most games and by the end of the season will, 1) be playing on a regular basis; and 2) hitting very well.

As for what his role will be, not a clue. He could be playing a lot of first base if Sano were to get injured or share 1B/DH with Sano should Cruz need some time off. He also could become a regular corner outfielder should Rosario or Kepler go on the IL or be in right should Kepler be needed in center if Buxton gets hurt again. In any case, I see him playing a lot and doing very well, kind of like the pre-injury Jason Kubel.

• DocBauer and wabene like this

#42 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,744 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:05 PM

Looks like it's official, the minor league season has been cancelled. The smart teams are going to be the ones who figure out a way to continue to develop the guys not on 60 man rosters.

As far as I know, there's no imperative for Indy Ball leagues to grab players from various teams. The Twins could be geographically positioned well as only six of the American Association teams are playing this year, but they include the Saints and the teams in Winnipeg, Fargo and Sioux Falls, with all games being played in Fargo and Sioux Falls, the Twins two strongest in-market cities. As far as fan interest goes, it probably would behoove all four clubs to use their vacant roster spots on Twins prospects. Hopefully the Twins can find games for Balazovic and many other guys who need playing time.

• DocBauer and wabene like this

#43 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,539 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:20 PM

I will go on record and make a prediction about Kirilloff. He will be added to the active roster by mid-season at the latest. When added, he will be playing in most games and by the end of the season will, 1) be playing on a regular basis; and 2) hitting very well.

As for what his role will be, not a clue. He could be playing a lot of first base if Sano were to get injured or share 1B/DH with Sano should Cruz need some time off. He also could become a regular corner outfielder should Rosario or Kepler go on the IL or be in right should Kepler be needed in center if Buxton gets hurt again. In any case, I see him playing a lot and doing very well, kind of like the pre-injury Jason Kubel.

Like your post but not sure if I want to agree or disagree.

Love and believe in Kirilloff. I think he's going to be very, very good. Would love to see him make a mark. But if he does in this short season, means someone got hurt or sick, and I'm hoping we can avoid either of those.

So I am going to politely agree and disagree with your projection. :)
  • rdehring likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#44 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,539 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:26 PM

Looks like it's official, the minor league season has been cancelled. The smart teams are going to be the ones who figure out a way to continue to develop the guys not on 60 man rosters.

As far as I know, there's no imperative for Indy Ball leagues to grab players from various teams. The Twins could be geographically positioned well as only six of the American Association teams are playing this year, but they include the Saints and the teams in Winnipeg, Fargo and Sioux Falls, with all playing games being played in Fargo and Sioux Falls, the Twins two strongest in market cities. As far as fan interest goes, it probably would behoove all four clubs to use their vacant roster spots on Twins prospects. Hopefully the Twins can find games for Balazovic and many other guys who need playing time.

Find myself suddenly wondering if the Saints or any other of these teams would "scrimmage" the Twins reserve roster while preparing for their seasons? Further, some of the teams in that league won't be playing. Hmmm...could they be hired as a scrimmage team, extra bodies to help around the facility and earn a paycheck at least? Just trying to think outside the box.

FWIW, I believe it is the Nashville franchise that is taking the lead with others to create their own quasi independent/milb season. If successful, I wonder at milb players from other organizations being allowed to sign on. Of course, there could be pay and injury clauses that may prevent them from doing so.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown