Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

How will stats be counted with extra innings runner automatically on 2nd?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 294 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:10 PM

The worst rule in the history of organized sports.

• notoriousgod71 likes this

#22 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,520 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:38 PM

I think change is good for the growth of the sport. And baseball changes so very little. And change doesn't have to decrease the integrity of the sport. I greatly prefer the recent change to overtime in the NFL. I always hated the first time that scores wins. I don't have any statistical data available at the moment but my perception/memory was that the team that won the coin flip won the majority of the time. One decent drive, one big interference penalty, and a field goal later and the game is done. In the new rule, of course, a successful FG gives the other team an opportunity. Only an initial TD finishez the game.

Whether you like the college OT rule or not, after 2 OT, I believe, teams must go for a TD, no FG allowed.

I can understand, while not liking, the extra inning rule for milb with a runner on 2nd. I'm not sure how it applies to MLB in a shortened season unless they they will have less days off and more double headers. But I also say just for 2020. BUT, if it is to continue, then it should implemented only after 2-3 standard extra innings, IMO.

In regard to statistics, I agree the pitcher should not be charged with a run scored. But on reflection, I do believe the runner and batter should have their statistics counted. The RBI should count at the very least as the batter did accomplish his function, no matter how the runner arrived on the field. And really, how many extra inning games can we expect in a 60 game season? 10-15 would seem abnormally large to me, but let's run with it. Say it's as high as 15 and the Twins win 10 of those. That's only 10 RBI split between a potential dozen or more hitters. I don't see any statistical anomalies involved.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#23 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,252 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:33 AM

If the initial extra inning runner on 2B scores, I don't think he should get credit for a "RUN".

He didn't do anything to get there, in fact he made the last out in the 9th.

• Drake2020 likes this

#24 Trov

Trov

Ft Myers Miracle

• 410 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:51 AM

If this rule carries over for years to come, then maybe need to address possible scoring change for the baseball purists that will site numbers like RBI or runs scored for greatness or hall of fame.In reality, this will change the offensive numbers of the players on a team very minimally.In 60 games, very few will go into extra innings.The ones that do, there will be very few extra chances.At the end of the year, bet a player at best may get 2-5 RBI extra, that is at best and I bet no player will really get more than 2.Think of the odds the same player keeps getting up in extra innings with these chances and keeps driving in the runs.Extremely low.Sure, maybe some player will be like Mr. 3000, the Bernie Mac movie, that once they reach whatever RBI or run score number they feel will put them a lock for HOF they will retire on the spot, only to find out baseball years later decided to not count his couple of RBI in these games.This will not swing any MVP decisions, or HOF votes the couple extra RBI you may get over the 60 game season. 

#25 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,457 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:46 AM

If the initial extra inning runner on 2B scores, I don't think he should get credit for a "RUN".

Same general logic applies to pinch runners - "they weren't good enough to be in the starting lineup and yet there they are, vulturing a run" - but we've always counted the runs they eventually come around to score.

Guys receiving intentional walks are also gifted part of the way toward the run they score.

These also have about as much overall impact on the game and its stats as this extra inning rule does.

• bighat likes this

If your attack appears to be going well, then you're in an ambush.

#26 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,252 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:20 AM

Same general logic applies to pinch runners - "they weren't good enough to be in the starting lineup and yet there they are, vulturing a run" - but we've always counted the runs they eventually come around to score.

Guys receiving intentional walks are also gifted part of the way toward the run they score.

These also have about as much overall impact on the game and its stats as this extra inning rule does.

Fair enough, after reading that I agree with you.

• ashbury likes this

#27 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,457 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:43 AM

Fair enough, after reading that I agree with you.

"June 29, 2020: Each year since then we honor this day in history, when a mind was changed on the Internet."

Thanks for the gracious reply. No doubt the tables will turn one of these days.

• Sconnie likes this

If your attack appears to be going well, then you're in an ambush.