Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Get Ready for a 60-Game Sprint, Twins Fans

mitch garver
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:10 PM

I've been trying figure out how to say what I want to say about all this. This might not quite be it but here goes anyway.

First, a 60-game season with only some of the top-line players is a farce. To attempt to give even a hint of legitimacy to this is totally disingenuous, to put it nicely.

Second, the health of the players, of thousands upon thousands of support personnel, and of their families is being placed at risk. And for what? To enable a farce.

I'll be honest, I've been battling this same inner conflict myself. As much as I love baseball, I recognize it's no more than a sports exhibition and I personally find all the poetic waxing about how it'll "reunite the country" or whatever to be silly.

But, players aren't taking these risks "to enable a farce." They're doing it to advance their careers and provide for their families. And while one might say most of 'em can afford to take a year off (some really can't), there are so many more people beyond players whose livelihoods are dependent on this game.

So, I don't begrudge you for feeling as you do, but that's something I've been weighing in my own mind.

• Danchat, DocBauer and Vanimal46 like this

#22 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Pitch(er) Mix: Tequila, Orange Liqueur, Lime Juice

• 13,579 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:52 PM

I’m really not looking forward when we inevitably normalize a player testing positive for covid and added to the IL. Followed up with discussing the strategy of who will take their spot in the lineup. Makes me very uneasy to be frank.
  • Nine of twelve likes this

#23 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,709 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 09:31 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but expanded playoffs are not in the plans right now, yea? That was part of a proposed deal that players and owners couldn't reach agreement on. Which is not to say they couldn't still agree to implement it between now and the season, but right now I think we're looking at the standard 10-team format.

Just read an update on mlb.com concerning the proposed season. It makes no mention of expanded playoffs, which was proposed earlier and which I assumed was a given. Further, it speaks about a 30 man roster that reduces down to 26 after 4 weeks with a 3 man taxi squad that must include a catcher.

I have taken no sides in this cluster mess, though I confess a slight 51-49 in favor of ownership just based on pure financial logic. But after everything we have heard and read of proposals and rosters and taxi squads comes down to a 30/28/26 man roster with only a 3 man taxi squad....then my opinion has shifted towards the players and I will call out the owners as complete idiots!!

There is no milb season. We have no idea about effects of covid, much less normal injury. So we have a 3 man taxi squad? If this is factual, then just call the season off now! This is an absurd joke if true.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#24 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,968 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 01:42 AM

I'm sympathetic to the concern about a short bad streak burying our team. OTOH every other good team in the majors faces this same risk.

Not to mention the Twins have the advantage of playing one of, if not the easiest 60 game schedules in all of baseball. Nearly 2/3 of their games are against teams that finished 10 games or more under .500, and 1/3 of them are against two of the worst teams in baseball. Maybe Cincy and the Sox rise up, but right now I'd say this shortened schedule works in favor of the Twins. 

#25 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,057 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 25 June 2020 - 04:51 AM

But, players aren't taking these risks "to enable a farce." They're doing it to advance their careers and provide for their families. And while one might say most of 'em can afford to take a year off (some really can't), there are so many more people beyond players whose livelihoods are dependent on this game.

My son and my sister are both professional musicians. The two of them, especially my son who is early in his career, are in the same situation as athletes and others in the entertainment field. And of course they want to advance their careers but it's just not feasible right now. Witness today's StarTribune front page headline: U.S. virus cases reach new single-day record.

What it comes down to is that this situation is much, much bigger than the careers of a few athletes. That's unfortunate but I just don't see any way around it that does not entail unacceptable risk.

• Craig Arko likes this

#26 SkyBlueWaters

SkyBlueWaters

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 68 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:12 PM

First, a 60-game season with only some of the top-line players is a farce. To attempt to give even a hint of legitimacy to this is totally disingenuous, to put it nicely. ...

Third, the political/social situation in our country weighs much more heavily on me right now than the lack of baseball.

If you go to Dodger Stadium, you will see pennants flying for titles won, including 1981. There is no asterisk explaining that the NL team with the best record that strike-shortened year was Cincy (4 games better than LA, 6 games better than Hou), who finished 2nd in both halves but did not make the playoffs. That might qualify that NL season as farcical, but as time passes it gets forgotten. (Except perhaps in southern Ohio.)

Similarly, '95 was a strike-shortened season; and the '89 earthquake gave the A's an advantage, using their no. 1 & 2 starters twice. (Only 2 pitchers threw more than 2.2 IP in the series.)

The ball is going to be in the air soon. Unexpected players will start hot, stars may struggle, there may be hitting streaks and pitchers taking no hitters deep into games. Key errors will happen, and incredible run-saving catches. Those who care will live in the heat of the moments once again.

9of12, I agree with you to a large extent; I dislike how this has gone down. Farcical might be a bit harsh, however ridiculous the owners' posturing was (I don't believe they ever intended to play more games, thus negotiated in bad faith).

And hell yes, grave current events are vastly more important. I totally agree there. So was it a mistake to play baseball during WW2? NFL games the weekend after the JFK assassination? 

Probably the prior season closest to this is '94, when the poor Expos had a 6 game lead on Atlanta when it ended. We'll see if they make it to the playoffs this time. Rather than strike-shortened, it may be pandemic-shortened.But I lean toward wanting the players to try, to give them a chance. Some careers are short, some are stars only a brief while.

Last, if I might take a weak stab at levity, a Twins fan for only 58 seasons? Where were you the other 2?

#27 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,057 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:01 PM

9of12,if I might take a weak stab at levity, a Twins fan for only 58 seasons? Where were you the other 2?

2019 was the Twins' 59th season. I didn't pay attention in 1961 because I was only 5 years old. That leaves 58 seasons.

#28 akmanak

akmanak

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 548 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:16 AM

With a bunch of MLB players already getting the virus and since cases have skyrocketed I just don’t see it happening .
  • Sconnie and Nine of twelve like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitch garver