Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

5 Phillies test postive for COVID-19, they and 3 other teams shut down camps

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,510 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:38 PM

Seen a report on ESPN a few months back, when there was talk of this and the player told the reporter no he wouldNOT do it (I think it was a Diamondback player) and then called the reporter and said his wife said yes if that means you get paid.

I think players might do it, Trout for example if he cares about career counting stats, he might do it. Others for a few million might as well, and the younger guys might do it because they could be scared to lose their job.

As for me (and I know you didn't ask me :)) if that was the only way I was going to get paid what I make now, I pretty much would have to wouldn't be much of a choice)

Yeah, doesn't sound like much of a choice to me to live in a bubble.

42% of all MLB players will be paid $100k or less for the rest of the season after declining the latest proposal. The pay off is not significant for nearly half the players who will risk their health/future health if they have complications from covid, and spend time away from their families. 

#42 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,366 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:17 PM

I would like you to answer the question.

Yes, I would, have before. Does that help, can we resume discussion? I’m not saying being quarantined would be easy. Anything but. I thought it would be part of the larger question of how to play the game safely for the next however many seasons.
  • Tomj14 likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#43 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,080 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:29 PM

42% of all MLB players will be paid $100k or less for the rest of the season after declining the latest proposal. The pay off is not significant for nearly half the players who will risk their health/future health if they have complications from covid, and spend time away from their families. 

I would live in a bubble for 2 months to make $100k if my employer would let me take a leave and let me keep my job.

However, that is a heck of a thing to expect of somebody

• SQUIRREL and Vanimal46 like this

#44 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,088 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:03 PM

It's difficult for me to answer that for myself because I'm not in that position. I just hope that no one gets seriously ill, or dies, as a result of baseball going forward because, well, money, and people seem to need to be entertained by it.

• Sconnie and Nine of twelve like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#45 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,252 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:47 PM

Negotiating the finances to start playing was supposed to be the easy part. If players and coaches are already testing positive with a skeleton crew at these facilities, it's going to get worse when the whole team shows up. 

I bet we'll see games at some point that have 2-3 MLB players on the entire bench, with the rest of the team made up of AA and AAA guys. Whether that's because of Covid-19 hitting a team (and everyone on the team needing to quarantine) or a team just giving up (ie: if you're on the Miami Marlins, you just decide "nah").

Many games this season are going to look like early Spring Training games. Maybe on a good day we'll get a Polanco and a Sano sighting in the same game, see Rich Hill work an inning, etc. But it's very possible these games are going to be even more meaningless, disappointing those of us with even the lowest of expectations.

• Sconnie likes this

#46 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,584 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 08:31 PM

Why would you phrase it like that? Seems like a loaded question. I wonder how many Latin American or foreign born players don’t get to see their families during the season as it is.

But the irony for me is how each team stages an armed forces day to every season, to thank service members for putting themselves in harm’s way overseas. Now the players find themselves in the same situation. I honestly doubt very many would object to playing in a bubble for that short a time, if it came to that. I haven’t seen any good reporting on that question unless you have a link to share.

The relationship between MLB and the armed forces is really not a rock you want to look under. Ditto any professional sport.

• bighat likes this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#47 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,088 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:28 PM

Let’s not go down the ‘military in sports’ wormhole, please.

Hosken, to your point about players playing in a bubble without their families, I think it’s an unrealistic ask. It’s not what they signed up for and not the expectation of their careers. If baseball can’t be played safely without entire teams, on field staff, other necessary personnel remaining in a bubble for 3 months, it’s probably not going to be played ... at least not if the expectation is anything close to mlb level of play. Some may choose to play while others won’t. We’ll see, but I fully expect baseball to shut down before the first pitch gets thrown in this abbreviated regular season.
  • Platoon and Nine of twelve like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#48 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,192 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:26 AM

This seems like a disaster waiting for an opportunity. In the area where I live, they can’t even keep the bars and restaurants open, they keep getting cases. A couple have simply reclosed  voluntarily. Even if they can pull it off, which I don’t think they can, the season will be mostly a travesty. Half of it will be played at a spring training level, and watching it on tv without fans in the background  will ring  hollow. And yes, that pun was intentional. 

• Nine of twelve likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#49 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 433 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:41 AM

1st looking at this news about so many cases of covid coming into spring training brought fear & great disappointment & then I thought about it. I see possible 3 scenarios, 1st the players came into camp w/ it, 2nd they caught it at camp (which I believe is our 1st reaction due to irresponsibility of the club) the 3rd I don`t want to go there. After I thought about it the 1st scenario seemed the most plausible. I`m sure the players were tested 1st thing when they arrived under sterile conditions so it means that they entered camp w/ it. That meansw/ such a small sample size & so many players & coaches testing positive that a high % of players & coaches have covid. W/ rise in mandatory testing in many places, we are seeing a spike in the # of cases is because so many people have it across the country & don`t know they have it. The point is if so many people that are tested already have the virus why not open everything up while protecting our high risk loved ones

#50 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,088 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:21 AM

1st looking at this news about so many cases of covid coming into spring training brought fear & great disappointment & then I thought about it. I see possible 3 scenarios, 1st the players came into camp w/ it, 2nd they caught it at camp (which I believe is our 1st reaction due to irresponsibility of the club) the 3rd I don`t want to go there. After I thought about it the 1st scenario seemed the most plausible. I`m sure the players were tested 1st thing when they arrived under sterile conditions so it means that they entered camp w/ it. That meansw/ such a small sample size & so many players & coaches testing positive that a high % of players & coaches have covid. W/ rise in mandatory testing in many places, we are seeing a spike in the # of cases is because so many people have it across the country & don`t know they have it. The point is if so many people that are tested already have the virus why not open everything up while protecting our high risk loved ones

You mean open up all baseball and stadiums?
  • Doctor Gast likes this

#51 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,510 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 June 2020 - 08:10 AM

That was the point I was trying to make. A heck of a thing to expect of somebody for our entertainment... 

• Sconnie and Nine of twelve like this

#52 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 433 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 09:58 AM

You mean open up all baseball and stadiums?

I mean all baseball for right now. Finding out now that it is opened up, testing needs to be done immediately so all positive tests can quarantined. That all can be kosher when preseason 2.0 start up again. I`d also like to see stadium also opened w/ limits. If that can happen, I`d hope that the agreement could be mutually beneficial (owners, players & fans) to expand the # of days played

#53 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 433 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 10:28 AM

Young, healthy people have a low risk of dying from Covid-19 but they still can require hospitalization. CDC reports 30-35% of all hospitalizations are people 45 and under. Many of those will have effects from the virus long after they are "recovered". As others have said, this doesn't even consider how many organization employees are older or have underlying conditions that make them susceptible. Of course, nearly everyone has relatives or friends that fall into the "danger" category for death.

Hospitalization rates can be found here

A recent collection of anecdotes regarding heathy young people and ongoing symptoms can be found here. I can send links to peer-reviewed research on this developing issue if someone wants it.

Baseball could be played again if leaders would take their responsibilities seriously. Starting the game in two states, Florida and Arizona, that have rapidly increasing case rates is not a good idea. 

I read the data about youth getting hospitalized but no where did I see that these youth were healthy or low risk. I think that when we see the category "youth" we tend to think healthy but now days, in many cases, it`s far from the truth. I know many 50, 60 & even 70 yrs. olds who are healthier than majority of the youth

#54 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,445 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:18 AM

I don't know why we are focusing on the young people. Even if someone wanted to give them a mortality rate of .1%, are we just supposed to tell Dusty Baker and Ron Gardenhire tough luck? There are plenty of non-20-year-olds who will still be involved

Allow them into their offices before anyone else ca be in the clubhouse.Keep the door closed at all times, and provide them with the TV feed to the game and a dedicated phone line to a healthy, 23 year old marketing intern on the bench, who will relay all the manager's instructions.Problem solved.

#55 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,445 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:19 AM

I'm taking you away from your family for 3-4 months. Sounds good?

An estimate is that there are 150 MLB babies to be born by the end of the year, meaning many players will be leaving behind very pregnant wives.

Frankly, we're looking at the very real possibility that a large contingent of notable names opt out of the season. At that point, is it really a legitimate season anyway? Do you want the league back if that's what's being played?

Yes, I would like to watch baseball.Even if it's a bunch of minor leaguers, I'll just consider it a preview of what the league will look like in 2-4 years.

#56 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,445 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:26 AM

I've reported on a low-risk, 23 year-old mother of three dying in less than 48 hours from the virus. This virus is the honey badger of viruses. If it's going to kill you, it don't give a flying one who you are, what age you are, or what physical condition you are. It will take you.

So because you can name one 23 year old who died out of literally 104 MILLION people 24 or under, we now have to abandon all use of probability in making decisions?The flu is actually more deadly to younger groups than the coronavirus--should MLB immediately suspend play any time there's a flu outbreak going forward?

Also, the virus does not have agency--it merely seeks to reproduce as much as possible, and humans are simply a good environment for that to happen.Your ability to resist and defeat the virus' attempts to utilize your body as a host site for reproduction is definitely relevant to your age, and especially your physical condition.Saying "if the virus is going to kill you it's going to kill you" is meaningless, because I can just as easily say "if your immune system is going to defeat COVID, it's going to defeat COVID".

#57 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,445 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:27 AM

Then why did you ask Ben why he phrased his response that way? That’s what you’re suggesting. If the roles were reversed, would you live in a bubble for 3-4 months away from your family?

If I was going to be paid anywhere between $200k and $10M, yes I absolutely would.

• Hosken Bombo Disco, bighat and Doctor Gast like this

#58 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,445 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:34 AM

Per my understanding, the new agreement means that players will get 37% of their original 2020 salaries--since 37% of the 2020 minimum of $563k (that number from b-ref) is $208k, I don't know how you're getting $100k or less for 42% of players.If rosters are expanded to 30 players, that means 378 players (more than 12 a team) are spending at most 28 games on the active roster (that's if they don't change the roster at all).Let's say teams used 45 players over the season (keeping in mind that if a player goes on the IL, they still get their MLB pay)--you now need 567 players to be on the roster for 28 games or fewer, which is almost 19 per team.Still seems unlikely.

#59 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,445 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:37 AM

I would live in a bubble for 2 months to make $100k if my employer would let me take a leave and let me keep my job.

I don't think any baseball player would be required to take a leave from their job as a baseball player in order to receive compensation for being a baseball player.Therefore, your caveat is not applicable to baseball players, and as I've pointed out, it's not $100k for two months, it's $200k for two months.

#60 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,510 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:37 AM

Per my understanding, the new agreement means that players will get 37% of their original 2020 salaries--since 37% of the 2020 minimum of $563k (that number from b-ref) is $208k, I don't know how you're getting $100k or less for 42% of players. If rosters are expanded to 30 players, that means 378 players (more than 12 a team) are spending at most 28 games on the active roster (that's if they don't change the roster at all). Let's say teams used 45 players over the season (keeping in mind that if a player goes on the IL, they still get their MLB pay)--you now need 567 players to be on the roster for 28 games or fewer, which is almost 19 per team. Still seems unlikely.

I got that figure directly from Jon Heyman.