Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

5 Phillies test postive for COVID-19, they and 3 other teams shut down camps

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,139 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:20 AM

If the most important thing here is to avoid getting the virus until you are vaccinated, do you think there is even a chance at a 2021 season?

Maybe is my answer your question. But can't imagine a full normal season.

Lets say they have a vaccine by the end of the year. My thought would be the first people to get them would be the high risk (unknown amount of people, medical field (16 million), police (~800,000) , teachers and other school staff (3.2 million teachers) then the kids.

And you have to figure the rest of the world would do something similiar, so the low risk people wouldn't be getting that until much later in the year, thus pushing sports out again.

(and if they gave the professional athletes the vaccine prior to the teachers, thus not allowing kids to go back to school, well IMO could cause professional sports to lose money, because I would never attend a game again.)

But if you change 'most important thing here is to avoid getting the virus until you are vaccinated" to most important thing is minimizing the spread to allow life to go on, then baseball will happen for sure next year because there are enough people willing to go a little further than others and IMO there will be enough of those people to support a season.

• SQUIRREL and woolywoolhouse like this

#22 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 837 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:24 AM

Young, healthy people have a low risk of dying from Covid-19 but they still can require hospitalization. CDC reports 30-35% of all hospitalizations are people 45 and under. Many of those will have effects from the virus long after they are "recovered". As others have said, this doesn't even consider how many organization employees are older or have underlying conditions that make them susceptible. Of course, nearly everyone has relatives or friends that fall into the "danger" category for death.

Hospitalization rates can be found here

A recent collection of anecdotes regarding heathy young people and ongoing symptoms can be found here. I can send links to peer-reviewed research on this developing issue if someone wants it.

Baseball could be played again if leaders would take their responsibilities seriously. Starting the game in two states, Florida and Arizona, that have rapidly increasing case rates is not a good idea. 

• woolywoolhouse likes this

#23 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,139 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 03:22 PM

Young, healthy people have a low risk of dying from Covid-19 but they still can require hospitalization. CDC reports 30-35% of all hospitalizations are people 45 and under. Many of those will have effects from the virus long after they are "recovered". As others have said, this doesn't even consider how many organization employees are older or have underlying conditions that make them susceptible. Of course, nearly everyone has relatives or friends that fall into the "danger" category for death.

Hospitalization rates can be found here

A recent collection of anecdotes regarding heathy young people and ongoing symptoms can be found here. I can send links to peer-reviewed research on this developing issue if someone wants it.

Baseball could be played again if leaders would take their responsibilities seriously. Starting the game in two states, Florida and Arizona, that have rapidly increasing case rates is not a good idea. 

Which part of the website shows - "CDC reports 30-35% of all hospitalizations are people 45 and under"

Not saying it isn't there, just wondering how you came up with 30-35% of all hospitalizations are people 45 and under?

• kenbuddha likes this

#24 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,724 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 03:37 PM

Which part of the website shows - "CDC reports 30-35% of all hospitalizations are people 45 and under"

Not saying it isn't there, just wondering how you came up with 30-35% of all hospitalizations are people 45 and under?

I don't know why we are focusing on the young people. Even if someone wanted to give them a mortality rate of .1%, are we just supposed to tell Dusty Baker and Ron Gardenhire tough luck? There are plenty of non-20-year-olds who will still be involved.

#25 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,139 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 03:57 PM

I don't know why we are focusing on the young people. Even if someone wanted to give them a mortality rate of .1%, are we just supposed to tell Dusty Baker and Ron Gardenhire tough luck? There are plenty of non-20-year-olds who will still be involved.

Sorry, was just trying to figure out how they dbminn got that number.

I don't think the start of the season this year or next should be based on young people covid stats,going on your logic (which seems pretty legit) MLB can't start without a vaccine. And I have been saying that since March, because nothing has changed since March, it is still around, no vaccine, no other meds to help,

and no end in site. And no amount of prevention (Which of course I am 100% on board with the owners of this site on mask prevention) is going to stop it.

So how do you start a season in a team sport without taking chances with the virus?

• nicksaviking likes this

#26 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,856 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 22 June 2020 - 04:37 PM

So how do you start a season in a team sport without taking chances with the virus?

Maybe you don’t. Maybe you shouldn’t. 

• nicksaviking, Sconnie, Platoon and 2 others like this

I always wanted to know what it would be like to simultaneously experience the 1918 flu,  Great Depression, and 1968 mass protests while Andrew Johnson was president.

#27 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,080 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:15 PM

You do know that the mumps vaccine was the fastest to market at 4 years?

More details into why and how vaccine testing and approval works

https://www.aamc.org...ovid-19-vaccine

#28 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 837 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:18 PM

You are correct! Wrong CDC page. I've spent a bit of time and searching and cannot find it back. I promise I will look later. I'm very sorry! I don't like screwing up with this data.

In the meantime, here's a summary from UT Southwestern re: Covid in the Dallas area. Fourth slide shows that 50% of those hospitalized are now under the age of 50, as of June 19. 

• Tomj14 likes this

#29 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 837 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:23 PM

Let's try again: Here

Top left chart, change to "percent" and expand. CDC puts their data in about 30 different sections of their website. None of it is intuitive.

• woolywoolhouse and Tomj14 like this

#30 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,584 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:52 AM

I agree with what Doctor Gast was starting to say, that professional athletes would seem to be in the lower risk groups for getting sick from the virus even if they do acquire it. There are too many details we don’t know about the story.

Honestly, I’m surprised the players haven’t accepted living and playing in a “bubble” for this season. We’re only talking 3-4 months at this point. (I make it sound like I think MLB should try to play through it, because it seems the other pro sports leagues will be doing so, or have already started doing so.)

I'm taking you away from your family for 3-4 months. Sounds good?

An estimate is that there are 150 MLB babies to be born by the end of the year, meaning many players will be leaving behind very pregnant wives.

Frankly, we're looking at the very real possibility that a large contingent of notable names opt out of the season. At that point, is it really a legitimate season anyway? Do you want the league back if that's what's being played?

• SQUIRREL, Vanimal46 and Nine of twelve like this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#31 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,584 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:54 AM

so baseball players are robots, segregated from the rest of society, no family or homes?

I’m not so worried about low risk people getting it, I’m worried about them giving it to high risk people. We can’t expect everyone to isolate all of the time, but even low risk people need to avoid high risk situations.

I was hopeful for baseball soon, but I am less optimistic now. :(

I've reported on a low-risk, 23 year-old mother of three dying in less than 48 hours from the virus. This virus is the honey badger of viruses. If it's going to kill you, it don't give a flying one who you are, what age you are, or what physical condition you are. It will take you.

• Sconnie, dbminn and Nine of twelve like this

#32 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,584 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:57 AM

I agree with both you and your daughter. Whether the public gives a damn or not, the public still does not understand how the virus is transmitted, and that’s a failure that transcends politics. I think taking advantage of summer and outdoor activities is wise. It seems like kids should be allowed to play little league, but that’s just me.

Perhaps the public doesn't completely, but plenty of science sure has shown how it transmits, and responsible reporting has been done on exactly that. If the public doesn't know, it's because Facebook and Joe Rogan are where their news comes from...

• Sconnie likes this

#33 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,366 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:24 AM

I'm taking you away from your family for 3-4 months. Sounds good?

An estimate is that there are 150 MLB babies to be born by the end of the year, meaning many players will be leaving behind very pregnant wives.

Why would you phrase it like that? Seems like a loaded question. I wonder how many Latin American or foreign born players don’t get to see their families during the season as it is.

But the irony for me is how each team stages an armed forces day to every season, to thank service members for putting themselves in harm’s way overseas. Now the players find themselves in the same situation. I honestly doubt very many would object to playing in a bubble for that short a time, if it came to that. I haven’t seen any good reporting on that question unless you have a link to share.
  • SkyBlueWaters likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#34 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,510 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 June 2020 - 11:44 AM

Why would you phrase it like that? Seems like a loaded question. I wonder how many Latin American or foreign born players don’t get to see their families during the season as it is.

But the irony for me is how each team stages an armed forces day to every season, to thank service members for putting themselves in harm’s way overseas. Now the players find themselves in the same situation. I honestly doubt very many would object to playing in a bubble for that short a time, if it came to that. I haven’t seen any good reporting on that question unless you have a link to share.

That's what you're suggesting, no? To have players live in a bubble environment for 3-4 months away from their families. 

#35 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,366 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 11:59 AM

That's what you're suggesting, no? To have players live in a bubble environment for 3-4 months away from their families.

Yes, I am suggesting that. So... what do you mean?

I’ve always suggested that the players should be able to choose to do that if they wanted to emphasize safety.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#36 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,510 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 June 2020 - 12:21 PM

Add 2 more players and 2 more staff members to the list of positive cases for the Phillies.

#37 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,510 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 June 2020 - 12:30 PM

Yes, I am suggesting that. So... what do you mean?

I’ve always suggested that the players should be able to choose to do that if they wanted to emphasize safety.

Then why did you ask Ben why he phrased his response that way? That’s what you’re suggesting. If the roles were reversed, would you live in a bubble for 3-4 months away from your family?
  • Nine of twelve likes this

#38 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,139 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:07 PM

Then why did you ask Ben why he phrased his response that way? That’s what you’re suggesting. If the roles were reversed, would you live in a bubble for 3-4 months away from your family?

Seen a report on ESPN a few months back, when there was talk of this and the player told the reporter no he wouldNOT do it (I think it was a Diamondback player) and then called the reporter and said his wife said yes if that means you get paid.

I think players might do it, Trout for example if he cares about career counting stats, he might do it. Others for a few million might as well, and the younger guys might do it because they could be scared to lose their job.

As for me (and I know you didn't ask me :)) if that was the only way I was going to get paid what I make now, I pretty much would have to wouldn't be much of a choice)

• Sconnie and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#39 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,366 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:13 PM

Then why did you ask Ben why he phrased his response that way?

Proposing to “take you away from your family” is not the best choice of words, not something Manfred or Clark would say, so I will drop it.

If the roles were reversed, would you live in a bubble for 3-4 months away from your family?

Instead of answering this question, I will point you back to where I already explained why it’s not a game changer and that more people than you probably realize have already done this, in some form or another. An inconvenience? Of course. Not a deal breaker.
- J. L. Borges

#40 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,510 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:32 PM

Proposing to “take you away from your family” is not the best choice of words, not something Manfred or Clark would say, so I will drop it.

Instead of answering this question, I will point you back to where I already explained why it’s not a game changer and that more people than you probably realize have already done this, in some form or another. An inconvenience? Of course. Not a deal breaker.

I would like you to answer the question.