Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

5 Phillies test postive for COVID-19, they and 3 other teams shut down camps

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,889 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:09 PM

This is an AP article posted on the StarTrib web site. And we haven't even started real full-time training yet. I have a LOT of trouble visualizing a feasible path toward full-time nationwide baseball if this is happening at this stage.

https://www.startrib...camp/571371162/

• Mike Frasier Law and mikelink45 like this

#2 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 448 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:04 AM

Again, our fears shouldn`t be focused on whether non or low risk athletic persons get covid 19 or not because I haven`t heard 1 case where anyone has died or even been seriously ill & when we start testing more regularly we`ll see that many had had it & didn`t know they had. Why don`t we focus on high risk persons. The narrative is so worried to keep baseball players from getting covid 19 but it doesn`t care about high risk persons. 1st narrative was "embrace the public, there`s no problem" many high risk persons contracted it & died 2ndNo covid 19 patient can be denied entrance in a nursing home many contracted it & died 3rd even though there was adequate facilities many covid 19 patients were not separated from the general patients, common protocol wasn`t enforced.

CDC has been wrong every step because they believed in Beijing. We can`t believe the narrative because there`s agenda behind it. But we should observe & diligently seek out non-agenda facts. It seems that they aren`t urgent on getting the needed data

• rdehring and SomeGuy like this

#3 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,130 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 10:19 AM

How this affects baseball is something of a logistics problem, imo. While many players might be considered 'low risk' we don't know their specifics ... one might have asthma, another might have hbp, (heh, that's high blood pressure, not hit by pitch), and what about their families and other employees, and there may also be some who are outliers and could get it bad ... because they were forced into a situation of playing games and just couldn't protect themselves better because of close contact to others. Who is responsible for this? And even if they are low risk and contract it ... it could mean the entire team then tests positive or falls ill, even if only mildly. Some may be asymptomatic and able to continue playing ... but should they? No. How this affects a baseball team ... what happens if half the team contracts it? It's not even about what their risk is when/if they get it ... it's that they could spread it to others ... their families, other employees, teammates, opposing players ... and so on. And once a player tests positive, they are out for a minimum of two weeks, longer if they get ill, and even longer if more seriously ill. What happens when a third to half the team needs to be quarantined? The feasibility of playing is really questionable for me. Again, this isn't even talking about what risk they bear in how sick they could get, it's how spreadable it is, who they spread it to and who then is out and for how long. It's really a logistics question. And I say this from my perspective of being in the 'entertainment' industry. Those who attend games, that's a choice we get to make ... but players? Hmm, are we 'forcing' them into a potentially hazardous situation just because we want to be entertained? 

• Hosken Bombo Disco, DocBauer, PDX Twin and 5 others like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#4 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,223 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 10:30 AM

Don't disregard this.The virus is spread from supposedly healthy to those who are vulnerable and each step of the way the virus mutates and becomes more dangerous.This is a big set back in what has been a very painful process of non-negotiations.I will be surprised if there is any season.

• woolywoolhouse, Sconnie and Nine of twelve like this

#5 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,394 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 10:36 AM

I agree with what Doctor Gast was starting to say, that professional athletes would seem to be in the lower risk groups for getting sick from the virus even if they do acquire it. There are too many details we don’t know about the story.

Honestly, I’m surprised the players haven’t accepted living and playing in a “bubble” for this season. We’re only talking 3-4 months at this point. (I make it sound like I think MLB should try to play through it, because it seems the other pro sports leagues will be doing so, or have already started doing so.)
  • bighat and Doctor Gast like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#6 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 448 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 20 June 2020 - 11:15 AM

What I`ve stated before & didn`t just prior is that no one at risk should be forced to play. I believe like Kyle Gibson could be at risk, I`d hate to see him come down seriously w/ this

• Mike Frasier Law, mikelink45, Hosken Bombo Disco and 2 others like this

#7 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,106 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 20 June 2020 - 04:49 PM

I agree with what Doctor Gast was starting to say, that professional athletes would seem to be in the lower risk groups for getting sick from the virus even if they do acquire it. There are too many details we don’t know about the story.

Honestly, I’m surprised the players haven’t accepted living and playing in a “bubble” for this season. We’re only talking 3-4 months at this point. (I make it sound like I think MLB should try to play through it, because it seems the other pro sports leagues will be doing so, or have already started doing so.)

so baseball players are robots, segregated from the rest of society, no family or homes?

I’m not so worried about low risk people getting it, I’m worried about them giving it to high risk people. We can’t expect everyone to isolate all of the time, but even low risk people need to avoid high risk situations.

I was hopeful for baseball soon, but I am less optimistic now. :(
  • SQUIRREL, mikelink45, Platoon and 2 others like this

#8 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,193 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 20 June 2020 - 07:31 PM

The whole thing is hard for me to understand. The Covid hasn’t changed. It’s the same now is it was when it reared it’s ugly head. It’s us who are trying to change. Trying to justify and explain away the belief that we can congregate now, when we didn’t think we could 2-3 months ago. The Covid hasn’t changed. There are businesses that HAVE to be open. Health care, food processing, farming, and many others. Are major league sports included? Or for that matter sports in general. Do the Mankato Moon Dogs have to play? MN just opened up summer outdoor sports with games allowed 6/24. Indoor sports 7/1. What’s the difference between those dates, besides 6 days. The Covid hasn’t changed. My grandson was to play in a tourney in Cooperstown this summer, which was cancelled due to the Covid. So now what? They are going to WI Dells in August. I asked what’s changed? The Covid hasn’t changed. After a long series of justifications, my daughter finally admitted, "well you gotta do something".  The Covid will be glad to hear that the people have changed, they have given up. The Covid hasn’t. 

• SQUIRREL, Dantes929, biggentleben and 6 others like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,394 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 08:20 PM

so baseball players are robots, segregated from the rest of society, no family or homes?
I’m not so worried about low risk people getting it, I’m worried about them giving it to high risk people. We can’t expect everyone to isolate all of the time, but even low risk people need to avoid high risk situations.
I was hopeful for baseball soon, but I am less optimistic now. :(

I’m always surprised when I see this take — not talking about you specifically. Servicemembers are separated from their families for much longer periods than we are talking about here. We should also have a better idea about how long quarantines should last after a player finishes his season or leaves the team (or reports to the team). Originally it was 14 days, just to be on the safe side. Isn’t 3-5 days more realistic? I don’t know.
  • bighat, Doctor Gast and SkyBlueWaters like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#10 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,394 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 08:31 PM

The whole thing is hard for me to understand. The Covid hasn’t changed. It’s the same now is it was when it reared it’s ugly head. It’s us who are trying to change. Trying to justify and explain away the belief that we can congregate now, when we didn’t think we could 2-3 months ago. The Covid hasn’t changed. There are businesses that HAVE to be open. Health care, food processing, farming, and many others. Are major league sports included? Or for that matter sports in general. Do the Mankato Moon Dogs have to play? MN just opened up summer outdoor sports with games allowed 6/24. Indoor sports 7/1. What’s the difference between those dates, besides 6 days. The Covid hasn’t changed. My grandson was to play in a tourney in Cooperstown this summer, which was cancelled due to the Covid. So now what? They are going to WI Dells in August. I asked what’s changed? The Covid hasn’t changed. After a long series of justifications, my daughter finally admitted, "well you gotta do something".  The Covid will be glad to hear that the people have changed, they have given up. The Covid hasn’t.

I agree with both you and your daughter. Whether the public gives a damn or not, the public still does not understand how the virus is transmitted, and that’s a failure that transcends politics. I think taking advantage of summer and outdoor activities is wise. It seems like kids should be allowed to play little league, but that’s just me.
- J. L. Borges

#11 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,106 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:51 PM

I’m always surprised when I see this take — not talking about you specifically. Servicemembers are separated from their families for much longer periods than we are talking about here. We should also have a better idea about how long quarantines should last after a player finishes his season or leaves the team (or reports to the team). Originally it was 14 days, just to be on the safe side. Isn’t 3-5 days more realistic? I don’t know.

yeah, but this isn’t a deployment into ‘Nam on a Huey, it’s baseball.

What do you mean “realistic”? According to the WHO people with Covid are Presymptomatic on average 5-6 days, up to 14. If anyone is going to be presymptomatic 14 days, isn’t it the strongest and healthiest?
  • SQUIRREL and Nine of twelve like this

#12 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,394 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 11:19 PM

What do you mean “realistic”? According to the WHO people with Covid are Presymptomatic on average 5-6 days, up to 14. If anyone is going to be presymptomatic 14 days, isn’t it the strongest and healthiest?

Checking a CDC faq page, it looks like about half the people who get symptoms will show symptoms after about 4 or 5 days. But that research might be out of date or not applicable to the present time.
- J. L. Borges

#13 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,889 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 06:38 AM

Again, our fears shouldn`t be focused on whether non or low risk athletic persons get covid 19 or not because I haven`t heard 1 case where anyone has died or even been seriously ill & when we start testing more regularly we`ll see that many had had it & didn`t know they had. Why don`t we focus on high risk persons.

Doing whatever is necessary to prevent the spread of COVID-19 IS focusing on high risk persons. A young healthy individual who has the virus but has few or mild symptoms is probably the worst case scenario. Someone like that often feels no need to restrict his or her activities and as a result the virus can get spread extensively.

People seem to have trouble understanding that the issue is not just the health of the infected individual. The big issue is trying to control the spread of a very contagious virus.

• Dantes929, Craig Arko, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#14 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,891 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 04:11 PM

What I`ve stated before & didn`t just prior is that no one at risk should be forced to play. I believe like Kyle Gibson could be at risk, I`d hate to see him come down seriously w/ this

Again, our fears shouldn`t be focused on whether non or low risk athletic persons get covid 19 or not because I haven`t heard 1 case where anyone has died or even been seriously ill & when we start testing more regularly we`ll see that many had had it & didn`t know they had. Why don`t we focus on high risk persons. The narrative is so worried to keep baseball players from getting covid 19 but it doesn`t care about high risk persons. 1st narrative was "embrace the public, there`s no problem" many high risk persons contracted it & died 2ndNo covid 19 patient can be denied entrance in a nursing home many contracted it & died 3rd even though there was adequate facilities many covid 19 patients were not separated from the general patients, common protocol wasn`t enforced.

CDC has been wrong every step because they believed in Beijing. We can`t believe the narrative because there`s agenda behind it. But we should observe & diligently seek out non-agenda facts. It seems that they aren`t urgent on getting the needed data

I don't ever remember the CDC saying "embrace the public, there's no problem". I do remember one person saying it but not the CDC. I could be wrong. I also remember the CDC saying high risk people are the concern and a lot of other things that are still considered valid. They probably have been wrong here and there along the way and maybe it was because they believed Biejing but that is really a rather reasonable starting point for a novel virus.As far as agenda facts the only fact I really don't trust is the death rate. Just seems to vary so much by county, state and country. I feel like death attribution has been inflated in some areas and deflated in others, like you said, to support an agenda.I don't distrust the CDC though of course there is bias in everything. I just think this is an incredibly complex situation.

• kenbuddha likes this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#15 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,891 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 04:24 PM

As soon as the restrictions lifted I talked to my staff about being more conscientious of cleanliness and distancing. I suspect it fell on deaf ears.Thankfully, there are a lot of business that still take the issue seriously and reopened with all precautions in place. That doesn't mean its 100% safe. Then there are businesses that protested the lockdown saying they could open safely and they have taken no precautions whatsoever as far as I can see. It doesn't mean they will all contract covid. Just means they are more likely to. Big picture maybe it is better for the world to develop the herd immunity even at great cost. Who knows? Little picture, I want the ones I love that are high risk to be safe and am sad that people out there just don't even consider anything but themselves. 

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#16 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,130 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:34 PM

Moderator hat: Please keep the discussion of Covid related to baseball and resuming play safely or not. We tried to have a Covid discussion thread in the Sports Bar forum and it devolved into a political discussion and a lot of misinformation, depending on which individual website posters decided was the most factual and which expert/non-expert we felt was most trusted. We probably won't really know what's what in regards to rates of anything until we are truly on the other side of this, and all data is collected and analyzed. So ... back to baseball related conversation.

Non-moderator, regular poster hat: I still go by what I said above ... I really don't see the feasibility in keeping teams fielded. I think it becomes logistically difficult. Whatever your belief on risk and safety, the minute someone tests positive, three test positive, and quarantine protocols will be put in place. What happens if half a team needs to be quarantined? And when members of one team test positive, how will that affect whether or not a team wants to play at that team's facility? And that doesn't even begin to discuss issues of risk for family members and on-field staff and other personnel, which is yet another aspect. While we have all been focussed on the money issues and owner vs player issues, I think this is the issue that will potentially sink the season more than disagreeing about money.

• Platoon, kenbuddha, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#17 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,889 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:54 PM

While we have all been focused on the money issues and owner vs player issues, I think this is the issue that will potentially sink the season more than disagreeing about money.

Will potentially sink? To me it's already sink sank sunk. Good morning, good afternoon, good night. See you in 2021.

• SQUIRREL likes this

#18 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,394 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 06:04 PM

Will potentially sink? To me it's already sink sank sunk. Good morning, good afternoon, good night. See you in 2021.

If the most important thing here is to avoid getting the virus until you are vaccinated, do you think there is even a chance at a 2021 season?
- J. L. Borges

#19 cardsfan

cardsfan

Ft Myers Miracle

• 389 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:52 AM

If the most important thing here is to avoid getting the virus until you are vaccinated, do you think there is even a chance at a 2021 season?

You do know that the mumps vaccine was the fastest to market at 4 years?
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:59 AM

Negotiating the finances to start playing was supposed to be the easy part. If players and coaches are already testing positive with a skeleton crew at these facilities, it's going to get worse when the whole team shows up. 

• bighat and Nine of twelve like this