Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins remove Calvin Griffith statue

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

#1 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,163 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:51 AM

because TEAR EVERYTHING DOWN!

• jkcarew and Aichiman like this

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,155 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:07 AM

This article from 2015 has a few of the concerns over Griffith's racism - including segregating players in the 1960s and some pretty ugly comments in 1978 that became a big story at the time.

https://www.vice.com...EH5myykxNU8m1vQ

• woolywoolhouse likes this

#3 dex8425

dex8425

Ft Myers Miracle

• 253 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:16 AM

This one does too.

https://www.startrib...urst/257189521/

#4 dex8425

dex8425

Ft Myers Miracle

• 253 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:19 AM

I was born in the 90's and had heard Griffith "was a racist" but hadn't heard about those comments until today, to be honest. That's pretty bad. It may have been poor judgment to erect a statue of him in front of Target Field. 

• SQUIRREL, Sconnie, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:25 AM

• James likes this

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:28 AM

Removing these statues and symbols is a meaningful step forward. I didn’t know about his blatantly racist comments in the past, but now I learned thanks to the removal of his statue.
  • raindog, Sssuperdave, gbg and 1 other like this

#7 TouchEmAllGuy

TouchEmAllGuy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 76 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for sharing guys/gals. I also had not seen that. Seems like a good move to remove statue. Room for Joe?!

• SQUIRREL likes this

#8 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 299 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:44 AM

The statue was erected to commemorate what Calvin Griffith did for baseball in Minnesota, not for his character or personal beliefs. I find it disconcerting that we feel the need to virtue cleanse everything today. People aren't perfect. Should we not recognize our father's on Father's Day because they weren't/aren't the perfect father?

• Jerr, BD57, TopGunn#22 and 7 others like this

#9 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,873 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:47 AM

Yet as racist as Calvin could be, under his leadership the Senators integrated, Joe Cambria signed them a lot of players. Words versus actions.

• Jerr, TopGunn#22, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 3 others like this

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:15 AM

Given the comments and actions of Baldelli, the front office, and even the Pohlads over the past three weeks, I will be giving the Twins money as soon as baseball resumes and I will be just a little bit happier walking through those turnstiles with my children as soon as we’re allowed to attend games again.

Small gestures can mean a lot.
  • SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, James and 8 others like this

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:27 AM

Yet as racist as Calvin could be, under his leadership the Senators integrated, Joe Cambria signed them a lot of players. Words versus actions.

Both matter.
  • James, Sssuperdave and gbg like this

#12 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:28 AM

It was foolish of the Twins to erect a Calvin Griffith statue in the first place. They should have known better in 2010, but correcting a mistake is always better than being stubborn about it.

• Brock Beauchamp, SQUIRREL, lecroy24fan and 12 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#13 wavedog

wavedog

• 1,105 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:43 AM

I thought Rod Carew who knew Calvin better than most folks had a nice summation on the subject:

"I understand and respect the Minnesota Twins decision to remove the Calvin Griffith statue outside Target Field," Carew said in a statement released by the team. "While I've always supported the Twins decision to honor Calvin with a statue, I also remember how inappropriate and hurtful his comments were on that fateful day in Waseca. The Twins did what they felt they needed to do for the organization and for our community. While we cannot change history, perhaps we can learn from it."

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, lecroy24fan and 14 others like this

#14 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,155 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:00 PM

The statue was erected to commemorate what Calvin Griffith did for baseball in Minnesota, not for his character or personal beliefs. I find it disconcerting that we feel the need to virtue cleanse everything today. People aren't perfect. Should we not recognize our father's on Father's Day because they weren't/aren't the perfect father?

Actually, I feel like his character and beliefs affected baseball in MN. He kept his players segregated well into the 60s. He said such racist things that Rod Carew would never play for him again. Imagine if current ownership had said something so vile that Joe Mauer demanded a trade out of Minnesota. That's what Griffith did for MN baseball.

• raindog, Platoon, bighat and 1 other like this

#15 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 299 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:32 PM

Actually, I feel like his character and beliefs affected baseball in MN. He kept his players segregated well into the 60s. He said such racist things that Rod Carew would never play for him again. Imagine if current ownership had said something so vile that Joe Mauer demanded a trade out of Minnesota. That's what Griffith did for MN baseball.

You are not wrong. I'm not condoning Mr. Griffith's words or actions. He wasn't alone in his behavior in the 50's and 60's. Heck, even the sport writers showed their prejudice in articles about certain players. I just find it curious that with everything that was known even then, the statue was important enough to erect 10 years ago but now is deemed inappropriate. Maybe the statue should never have been installed. I worked at the Met in the late 60's early 70's and met Calvin Griffith a few times. I always thought he was kind of a toad, but then kids think that about most adults, don't they?

My favorite player early on after moving to Minneapolis from Chicago was Vic Power. My dad claimed that the first words I ever spoke that anybody could understand was "amon oonie" which meant "come on Ernie" for Ernie Banks. Vic Power was a great defensive 1B. As a firstbaseman I wanted a Vic Power glove, but had to settle for the Earl Torgeson model. Earl Torgeson? Thanks mom.

• TopGunn#22, gagu, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 3 others like this

#16 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 546 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:37 PM

I thought Rod Carew who knew Calvin better than most folks had a nice summation on the subject:

"I understand and respect the Minnesota Twins decision to remove the Calvin Griffith statue outside Target Field," Carew said in a statement released by the team. "While I've always supported the Twins decision to honor Calvin with a statue, I also remember how inappropriate and hurtful his comments were on that fateful day in Waseca. The Twins did what they felt they needed to do for the organization and for our community. While we cannot change history, perhaps we can learn from it."

This is Carew being the class act that he has always been...

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, lecroy24fan and 10 others like this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#17 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• 2,321 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 07:12 AM

In some ways the whole erecting a statue is kind of an odd thing in general.Often they are put up by the people in power who want to make sure their version of events are what are placed front and centerThere is a reason why statues are often toppled when there is a power shift or change in view of the majority

They can still acknowledge him if they want with a museum type poster board on one of the walls inside the ball field.They can then acknowledge his accomplishments and place in Twins history but also share some of these comments and why the Twins do not stand behind these statement.

• Brock Beauchamp, SQUIRREL, ashbury and 4 others like this

#18 SkyBlueWaters

SkyBlueWaters

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 52 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:24 AM

So much of the news is divisive lately. I feel like the only person winning is Vladimir Putin, who must watch the raging, violence and inflamed rhetoric with glee. I find myself turning the radio news on then off soon after.

With the pandemic, the president's rhetoric, and the violence in all forms, I don't feel like there are many winners.

But reading Rod Carew's quotes about Griffith (Reusse's column in the Strib today is good), and of his forgiveness, and what he felt about Griffith, was the closest thing to uplifting I've read in a while.

I liked Carew already, of course. But he's an even bigger man for me now.

• SQUIRREL, lecroy24fan, Jerr and 5 others like this

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:57 AM

So much of the news is divisive lately. I feel like the only person winning is Vladimir Putin, who must watch the raging, violence and inflamed rhetoric with glee. I find myself turning the radio news on then off soon after.

With the pandemic, the president's rhetoric, and the violence in all forms, I don't feel like there are many winners.

But reading Rod Carew's quotes about Griffith (Reusse's column in the Strib today is good), and of his forgiveness, and what he felt about Griffith, was the closest thing to uplifting I've read in a while.

I liked Carew already, of course. But he's an even bigger man for me now.

Right? I don’t use the term “class act”, well, basically ever... but it really applies to Carew in this situation.

Way to stay above the fray. My respect for him couldn’t be higher.
  • lecroy24fan, diehardtwinsfan, Craig Arko and 3 others like this

#20 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,879 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 20 June 2020 - 04:40 PM

Griffith's statements were only a "mistake" in that he said what he always felt outloud for all to hear, and truly exposed who he always was and the dogma that he came to infect his life with and spread it to others around him, if he could. It was not a "one time thing". 

Rod Carew exemplifies a grace and wisdom that is truly inspiring. For me, the fact that he can teach us that grace and practice forgiveness and understanding regardless, is a lesson that I can aways take a refresher course in. 

• Brock Beauchamp, ashbury, Han Joelo and 4 others like this