Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Blue Jays Sign Melky Cabrera

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

According to yahoo sports its a 2 yr 16 million dollar deal. http://sports.yahoo....01094--mlb.html

Blue Jays continue to spend money and prove they're all in on being a serious contender this year.

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Holy crap. Those Canadians aren't ****ing around.

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Drugs laws are more lax in Canada?

#4 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Good for their fans. The Yankees are aging, Boston is down.....good time to strike.

#5 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 4,544 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'm getting pummelled over this by my Blue Jay "friends", c'mon TR, throw me a bone.

Posted Image

Edited by twinsnorth49, 16 November 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

Good for their fans. The Yankees are aging, Boston is down.....good time to strike.

Yeah, it really is a good time to strike. Yankees are getting old. Boston looted their team at the deadline. Baltimore was absurdly lucky. Tampa continues to lose players to free agency. It's rare to get this kind of a window in that division. All four of their division rivals could be significantly worse in 2013 than they were in 2012.

#7 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

According to yahoo sports its a 2 yr 16 million dollar deal. http://sports.yahoo....01094--mlb.html

Blue Jays continue to spend money and prove they're all in on being a serious contender this year.

I wouldn't touch him...and I respect the Giants for how they handled the whole situation

#8 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

I wouldn't touch him...and I respect the Giants for how they handled the whole situation

i never said we should touch him. High risk/reward move. Good for Toronto fans though.

#9 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

I think that a 2 year, $16M contract would have been worth a flyer on him, except that the teams cup runneth over with OF's. Good move for both Toronto and Cabrera.

#10 ltwedt

ltwedt

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Let's see - Melky Cabrera vs James Beresford - - - - . . . The Twins picked Beresford - Surprising . . . NOT!

#11 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Let's see - Melky Cabrera vs James Beresford - - - - . . . The Twins picked Beresford - Surprising . . . NOT!

what?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Twins signed Beresford for minor league depth. Not to start in the Major Leagues........

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

One of those players signed a $16,000,000.00 contract.

The other signed a $16.00 contract.

#13 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

let's see - melky cabrera vs james beresford - - - - . . . The twins picked beresford - surprising . . . Not!

one of those players signed a $16,000,000.00 contract.

The other signed a $16.00 contract.

exactly.

#14 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 7,766 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

One of those players signed a $16,000,000.00 contract.

Keep in mind, those are Canadian dollars. $1CDN = $0.99US. Or maybe the other way around.

#15 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

I just don't see these moves really working out for the Blue Jays; but we'll see.

#16 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,099 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

The Blue Jays will test the Bad Boy discussion on the other thread. Rasmus... Cabrera... Reyes... If only they would have kept Escobar...

Serious question... How much depth are they piling up. Cabrera... Rasmus... Bautista... They have Bonofacio who can play anywhere but anywhere is covered by Johnson, Reyes and Lawrie. Davis and Gose and Izturis. Buck and Arencebia and D'Arnaud behind the plate. More trades coming and I suspect for pitching. They could be a monkey wrench for the Twins making a deal. Yikes.

#17 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

Agree with you, Riverbrian, on the Jays not being done trading. I see one of the catchers being the first to go.

#18 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:00 AM

Before signing Melky they had Lind slotted as their DH so this fills a pretty big hole on the team. Johnson is a FA so this gives them Emilio and Izturis at 2B. They also have a potentially loaded lineup with Bautista, E6, Melky, Reyes and Lawrie. Rasmus, Gose, Bonifacio/Izturis and their catcher could be better than they were last year also. I wouldn't be surprised if Rasmus was going somewhere though.

I'm not sure they need pitchers either with Johnson, Buehrle, Morrow and Romero. Perhaps they sign a RP'er but I think they are close to done.

I think 2/16 is a great deal for Melky and if the Twins weren't overflowing with OF'ers I would have recommended it for them. tbh I'm surprised that the Reds/Braves/Rays weren't in on this.

The fallout from all of this is that Yunel Escobar could be available in Miami for very little as they attempt to take payroll below 15M. Some don't like him but he's a solid ballplayer where the Twins have none.

#19 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,099 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:37 AM

Before signing Melky they had Lind slotted as their DH so this fills a pretty big hole on the team. Johnson is a FA so this gives them Emilio and Izturis at 2B. They also have a potentially loaded lineup with Bautista, E6, Melky, Reyes and Lawrie. Rasmus, Gose, Bonifacio/Izturis and their catcher could be better than they were last year also. I wouldn't be surprised if Rasmus was going somewhere though.

I'm not sure they need pitchers either with Johnson, Buehrle, Morrow and Romero. Perhaps they sign a RP'er but I think they are close to done.

I think 2/16 is a great deal for Melky and if the Twins weren't overflowing with OF'ers I would have recommended it for them. tbh I'm surprised that the Reds/Braves/Rays weren't in on this.

The fallout from all of this is that Yunel Escobar could be available in Miami for very little as they attempt to take payroll below 15M. Some don't like him but he's a solid ballplayer where the Twins have none.

(Shakes head) I was with ya until the end... lol.

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

Given the roids and what not, I'm surprised he got that... wonder if there's an out clause...