Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Why Baseball is Worth Saving

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thuuuuney

thuuuuney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 136 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 10:44 AM

Baseball means a lot to us in a number of different ways. When I say the word, “baseball,” you might think back to your mom or dad driving you to your little league games or you might even think of driving your own kids there. You might even think of brats on the grill at home with all of your buddies and clamoring inside the house once the FSN theme kicks in and you hear the voice of Dick Bremer bellow throughout the house inviting you to another edition of Twins baseball. For me, baseball has meant so much more than a game and now more than ever, I and the rest of us need it back.

Picture yourself being a young pup saddling up for a weekend tournament and getting dressed in the morning looking at your idols on your wall trying to emulate their game in your shoes. For me those posters were Torii Hunter, Joe Mauer, and Nick Punto. I never got to pro ball, but in my mind I tried to play like those pros I idolized as a kid everyday I went onto the field. I tried to fly around and smile like Torii, I tried to go wherever I was needed on the field like Nick Punto, and on the most important position on the field (I’m biased), I tried to call a game like Joe Mauer. But these qualities were not just exclusive to baseball, they helped me in my life as a man. It disheartens me knowing there is a possibility we won’t have baseball this summer but even more than the reasons I’m sure we’re all feeling is that, I can’t but think of a young boy or girl right now who because of this season may never get to truly experience the beautiful game.

All I’ve been reading on social media is how other sports are taking over the landscape and baseball is continuing to slide but that’s ok because, “the games are too long,” or “it’s a boring sport anyway,” but I think these are all issues of perception. All of us who love baseball aren’t affected by issues like this because we were all brought up in an environment that showed us how truly remarkable this game is. Today the youth of the world have a unique opportunity to follow along with their favorite players outside of the diamond like Gavin Lux, a prospect in the Dodgers organization who has his own YouTube channel, to our own in Trevor May who started the MLB The Show League and streams on twitch as well. Baseball has some of the greatest personalities in the world playing their game and the sport has failed to market them. Now with the fate of the 2020 season in the balance, it’s more important than ever that instead of looking into dollars and cents, Rob Manfred and the ownership groups salvage this season not just for the sake of bringing baseball back, but it has to be done to save it.

We will never know the butterfly effect of this season if we do or don’t have one but right now there is a young child at home who could grow up to be the greatest baseball player that has ever lived, there is a young child at home who is turning off the volume on the tv and is calling the games in their room hoping to be a broadcaster someday, there is a young child who is using legos to build a beautiful future ballpark, and there is a dad throwing a ball with his son before his first game, all of that and more could be gone- if the MLB doesn’t get out of the way and just let the kids play.

• ashbury, Nick Nelson, lecroy24fan and 3 others like this

#2 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• 3,348 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:01 PM

Well said!
  • thuuuuney likes this

#3 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 503 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:41 AM

Well that is exactly what MLB top to bottom is acting like; a bunch of kids packing up their toys and going home. Maybe that is the answer, let the real kids run the whole show and ban the adults who are acting like kids. Anyone over the age of 18 is banned from the game for 2 years.

• rdehring likes this

#4 twinkies8791

twinkies8791

Elizabethton Twins

• 16 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 04:02 PM

• thuuuuney likes this

#5 thuuuuney

thuuuuney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 136 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 04:10 PM

I was thinking about this clip while writing this. That one scene I think truly encapsulates why we all love this game.

#6 denarded

denarded

• 143 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:37 PM

I edited this because I didn't look at who was OP. Thuuuuuney, you do a great job on your game re-enactments. I had to ask you wether that was you doing playxplay and commentary (and responding to live thread which I realized had to be you. I just wasnt sure how sophisticated video games are. Great work and I watch most of them the next day. Congrats on your marriage

I'm going to be contrarian on this. Obviously, I'm a baseball fan and a Twins fan (or why would I be here?)

I love the constant beat of the mlb season. I love having the option to watch a game 6 days a week (pick and choose how dedicated you are. I'll admit I've not watched a Twins game @ Mariners from start to finish in years. [Pick your battles]]. My problem with baseball, aside from the current labor dispute is this:

1. Strike Zone. We have technology that can call balls and strikes in real time. Why not use it? I'm tired of hearing "That's John Q. Umpires strikezone. He's calling the low-away tight"The strike zone is the strike zone and that would eliminate having to groom catchers to be great at pitch framing. 

2. Pace of game.Weren't we supposed to havea time clock between pitches last year after they had tested it in AAA?I hate to sound like an old man, but does the batter need to readjust his batting gloves after a pitch he didn't swing at? Pitcher: mount the rubber and go (that is not meant to be an innuendo) 

3. Three True Outcomes. My problem with this, is that it's as unsatisfying as it sounds. When the talk turns to Baseball fans getting older and the youth don't follow the game (but will watch Soccer [shaking head]}. There's a reason. Home Runs are exciting when they are meaningful (Yes, all home runs mean something, but I don't feel satiated when my team scores 4 runs on 3 Home Runs} I miss hit and runs, steals, bunts, delayed steals etc. Show me all the advanced metrics and that's fine, but the game has evolved into a chess match of sorts. Less randomness, Fewer 'Holy ###" moments. The game plays like a grind, and I don't like how I feel after spending 3hrs. 10 minutes watching a game vs. Devil Rays.

Sorry for taking up bandwith (Is that a thing?) Not trying to stir a pot, but I've had a few months to think about Baseball not being in my life and can't believe that I'm....ambivalent. I'm a Twins fan because my Grandfather played D ball (Low minors) for the Senators after WW2. I've never lived in Minnesota, but I go up every year (Since 1998) to watch a series. Igo to whatever White Sox Park is called now a couple times to see the boys (much closer and cheaper). I love baseball, but I don't fancy so much what it's become and I despise both sides of this 'Labor Dispute' Good luck next year with that deal. Props to anyone who read this far. 

• Sconnie and thuuuuney like this
Wikipedia is for suckers

#7 thuuuuney

thuuuuney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 136 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 08:41 PM

I edited this because I didn't look at who was OP. Thuuuuuney, you do a great job on your game re-enactments. I had to ask you wether that was you doing playxplay and commentary (and responding to live thread which I realized had to be you. I just wasnt sure how sophisticated video games are. Great work and I watch most of them the next day. Congrats on your marriage

I'm going to be contrarian on this. Obviously, I'm a baseball fan and a Twins fan (or why would I be here?)

I love the constant beat of the mlb season. I love having the option to watch a game 6 days a week (pick and choose how dedicated you are. I'll admit I've not watched a Twins game @ Mariners from start to finish in years. [Pick your battles]]. My problem with baseball, aside from the current labor dispute is this:

1. Strike Zone. We have technology that can call balls and strikes in real time. Why not use it? I'm tired of hearing "That's John Q. Umpires strikezone. He's calling the low-away tight"The strike zone is the strike zone and that would eliminate having to groom catchers to be great at pitch framing. 

2. Pace of game.Weren't we supposed to havea time clock between pitches last year after they had tested it in AAA?I hate to sound like an old man, but does the batter need to readjust his batting gloves after a pitch he didn't swing at? Pitcher: mount the rubber and go (that is not meant to be an innuendo) 

3. Three True Outcomes. My problem with this, is that it's as unsatisfying as it sounds. When the talk turns to Baseball fans getting older and the youth don't follow the game (but will watch Soccer [shaking head]}. There's a reason. Home Runs are exciting when they are meaningful (Yes, all home runs mean something, but I don't feel satiated when my team scores 4 runs on 3 Home Runs} I miss hit and runs, steals, bunts, delayed steals etc. Show me all the advanced metrics and that's fine, but the game has evolved into a chess match of sorts. Less randomness, Fewer 'Holy ###" moments. The game plays like a grind, and I don't like how I feel after spending 3hrs. 10 minutes watching a game vs. Devil Rays.

Sorry for taking up bandwith (Is that a thing?) Not trying to stir a pot, but I've had a few months to think about Baseball not being in my life and can't believe that I'm....ambivalent. I'm a Twins fan because my Grandfather played D ball (Low minors) for the Senators after WW2. I've never lived in Minnesota, but I go up every year (Since 1998) to watch a series. Igo to whatever White Sox Park is called now a couple times to see the boys (much closer and cheaper). I love baseball, but I don't fancy so much what it's become and I despise both sides of this 'Labor Dispute' Good luck next year with that deal. Props to anyone who read this far. 

1st of all thanks for the kind words on the Virtual Twins project and my marriage and I can't wait to come back to calling games on Monday before stepping aside for the real thing fingers crossed. 

As a 23 year old I want to build on some of the points you've made because you hit on a lot of the problems I have with the game. I can recall watching the Twins play the Chi Sox and it was Pavano v. Buerhle and it was a fast, fun game. I love baseball so much and when I think back to my time when I played I agree I don't get why the batting gloves need to be re-adjusted everytime but in the same breath my dad always told me I couldn't show off when I played until I was good and in that regard I guess big leaguers have earned the right to re-tape their gloves.

Right now I'd kill to watch a 4 hour twins game but months from now I'm sure I won't feel the same way. Hopefully more progress can be made in that regard and now look at me getting wordy here. Denarded thanks for the reply and raising some real points about how despite how badly we want baseball back there are some glarring problems that need to be addressed.