Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Torii Hunter's Legacy

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...Hunter-s-Legacy

#2 OldManWinter

OldManWinter

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

He had other priorities. That is his choice. I am personally not enamored.

#3 twinsfaninsaudi

twinsfaninsaudi

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

And this will be the third time he will be playing opening day in Minnesota as a visitor (2008 also). (Sigh) They should have re-signed Torii and kept Garza.

His signing with Detroit almost makes me want to cheer for them over the Twins.

Because…I look at the Twins, and there is no individual on the team that I want to win a World Series more than I want it for Torii. But alas, I love that laundry that they wear.

#4 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

And this will be the third time he will be playing opening day in Minnesota as a visitor (2008 also). (Sigh) They should have re-signed Torii and kept Garza.

Enough crying over spilled milk. Whats done is done.Get over it.

#5 wavedog

wavedog

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

I liked Torii as a Twin and continue to cheer for him even as he moves to the Tigers. He brought some energy to the team that is lacking these days. However, I won't go as far as hoping the Tigers win the World Series or even the division plus I hope he goes hitless against the Twins.

#6 ltwedt

ltwedt

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Geez - HE left US! Get . . . the hell . . . OVER it!

#7 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

torii really settled in at the TOP of the lineup - hitting second. i bet that is where he fits for the tigers, too. good luck to the man. he lives up to his contract wherever he goes.

#8 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

I do not care about T-Hunt's Legacy. He will be remembered as a very good player, with his defense being his calling card. Certainly no chance in hell of Torii getting into the HOF.

I will say this though - Mr. Hunter has an uncanny knack for getting ridiculously overpayed. I do not know if it is good karma from his present life or a past life but whatever the hell it is... it is working... and working very, very well.

#9 twinsfaninsaudi

twinsfaninsaudi

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

Enough crying over spilled milk. Whats done is done.Get over it.

I'm over it…also not crying - geez man chill out

https://www.google.c...n&client=safari

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,384 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

I hate the Tigers and I'm a big Torii Hunter Fan... The only choice I have is to pretend he's someone else this year. Can't cheer for a Tiger.

#11 PopRiveter

PopRiveter

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

I love Torii and will cheer his every play even as I root for his team's failure. It would've been nice if he were in Detroit's outfield this year instead of Delmon. I would have had 1 reason to care about the world series.

#12 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

I liked Torii as a Twin and I still like him on other teams. I felt that he was pretty open in 2007 about the whole process (including a memorable phone interview with Barreiro from the State Fair), and he had the right to play on West Coast in a totally different environment. Given the lofty standard of retiring numbers set by such Twins greats as Kent Hrbek, you could even argue he should have an outside chance of getting his number retired!

He had a big mouth at times, and said some dumb things about African Americans in baseball, but none of it was ill-willed, and he was also very good with the RBI program and was a positive ambassador for the game. He was certainly one of the more important Twins players in "selling" me on the Twins as my favorite baseball team later in life.