Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Baseball Prospectus Top 10 Twins Prospects

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

How can you honestly put Buxton above Sano right now and keep a straight face? That is completely asinine. Buxton has a great tool-set and had a nice professional debut, but Sano hit 28 HR's in a pitcher's league as a 19 y.o. Really? Come on man. Maybe next year is Sano is still having defensive and strike out issues you can put Buxton above him, but not right now. I know these lists are just for fun, but sometimes I just get frustrated when prospects are overrated from the get go like Delmon Young. Success speaks louder than tools to me.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#32 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Delmon Young actually had a great MiLB career until he reached AAA and then the majors. His problem was that he was simply a superior athlete compared to the kids in the low minors and imo a superior prospect to Sano. So let's not act like Sano is a proven prospect. You do have a fair point about rating prospects with almost no experience but I do value scouts (not BA but actual scouts) think very highly of Buxton so it's not crazy that he's rated higher than Sano. i'm more in the wait and see category but I also don't get to see any of these prospects play.

#33 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

How can you honestly put Buxton above Sano right now and keep a straight face? That is completely asinine. Buxton has a great tool-set and had a nice professional debut, but Sano hit 28 HR's in a pitcher's league as a 19 y.o. Really? Come on man. Maybe next year is Sano is still having defensive and strike out issues you can put Buxton above him, but not right now. I know these lists are just for fun, but sometimes I just get frustrated when prospects are overrated from the get go like Delmon Young. Success speaks louder than tools to me.

I'll be assinine too, then, because I consider Buxton the better prospect right now and that is largely based on the fact that I did see Sano play several games this season. You gloss over his defense and K issues as though they shouldn't even be considered in the evaluation, but to me they do cost him "points" in any evaluation. I'd turn things around on you and say that maybe if next year Sano DOESN'T continue to have the defensive and K issues he had this year, I'd make a strong case that his power potential would warrant him moving back ahead of Buxton on a prospect list. But a player with the potential to not only play, but excell at, a high-value defensive position AND provide the offense that Buxton can is a better prospect in my eyes than one whose game is all about offense.

I may have the pleasure of seeing Buxton in Cedar Rapids this summer and I'm looking forward to comparing him to what I saw of Sano. The good news is that, regardless of which guy is 1 or 2, they both have enormous potential for the Twins' future.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]