Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

FanGraphs: Conversation with Matt Canterino

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,558 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 09:35 PM

https://blogs.fangra...matt-canterino/

David Laurila of FanGraphs recently had a conversation with Twins pitching prospect Matt Canterino, their 2019 second round pick. 

Regarding being drafted: 

David Laurila: What was draft day like for you?

Matt Canterino: “It was more exciting than anything. I had a decent idea of where I’d be going — obviously nothing was set in stone — so to see that all come together once things got rolling into where I was projected to go… it was pretty surreal. It was also a dream come true. I feel like I’m still living a dream.”

There is a lot in between ,but I thought this answer was very interesting. It was really good to hear that they discuss all this technology and then it's a discussion between players, coaches and coordinators about how the player will use it. I like that the player gets to be involved in that conversation. 

Laurila: On last thing: Are there any pitchers you model yourself after, or is there anyone the Twins have suggested you pay particular attention to?”

Canterino: “[The Twins] don’t typecast me. It’s more like, ‘A guy who has a lot of carry to his fastball, like you do, and also a curveball with a lot of depth — the way they pair them — how do you think that works for you?’ It’s kind of like a discussion question almost.

• James and DocBauer like this

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,715 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:21 PM

Good stuff for sure!

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#3 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,961 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:05 AM

The kid sounds pretty sharp and in tune with the Twins coaching. Wish we could see him put this all into practice.