Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

On New MLB Proposal, How it Relates to the Twins and a Potential Solution

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#41 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 448 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 14 June 2020 - 07:35 AM

Have you read the articles in the Strib by Reusse about Town Ball. Has been doing a series with the general thought being they are saying to heck with the restrictions and playing ball. I believe there were several hundred games this weekend around the State. Some are scrambling for places if their ballpark is city owned and the City says no. One went to their city council who said, "play ball." Great series by Patrick.

No, I had not. I don`t have access to the STribune. But happy to hear it

Something I had forgot to write in prior post was to quote from "Field of Deams"

" If you build it they will come" but change it to "if you reopen they will come"

#42 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,259 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 14 June 2020 - 07:41 AM

what has the MLBPA offered?

Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

This is 100 percent the fault of the players. One. Hundred. Percent.

Screw them.

Start the season without them. They'll come crawling back soon enough.

I'm with you buddy! The owners and league are taking a massive financial hit due to something (Covid-19) beyond their control.

The players have effectively said "That's not our problem. I want my money". They're behaving like debt collectors for the mob, no empathy no sympathy just GIVE ME MY MONEY. Blake Snell said as much, verbatim. And worst of all, ZERO consideration for the fans. Are the owners innocent angels who can do no wrong? Of course not! But should they really bear 100% of the financial hit for this pandemic?

The crazy part is that probably 75% of the players would be fine with the league's proposal, but the player's union and a few hard-asses in leadership are screwing this up for the rest of the guys. I am sure that guys like Polanco, Sano, and Kepler would be on the field right now warming up for a Sunday afternoon ballgame right now if they could.

At this point just have a week-long skills exhibition in Orlando and be done with it, because a 50-game season is an absolute slap in the face to anyone who follows the game.

• TopGunn#22, Major League Ready, rdehring and 1 other like this

#43 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,907 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 08:05 AM

No, I had not. I don`t have access to the STribune. But happy to hear it

I think you can read a few articles online without paying. I know I do that with the Wisconsin State Journal, although I usually am cut off because have read too many.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#44 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 448 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 09:07 AM

I think you can read a few articles online without paying. I know I do that with the Wisconsin State Journal, although I usually am cut off because have read too many.

Thanks! You are right! I`ve already exhausted my trial

I googled that article & was able to read it. Hats off to Ruesse for writing it

#45 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 448 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 09:14 AM

If Manfred has guaranteed a season. Why not reopen preseason & get started w/ the process & let them iron out the out come- whether it`s 50 game w/ 100% prorated or a compromise. Let`s get going & stop dilly dally

#46 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,650 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 04:07 PM

Screw them.

I suspect MLB’s broadcast partners would seek to renegotiate their contracts if the league used scab players. People aren’t going to watch a bunch of nobodys play in an empty stadium on tv.

#47 OldTimeTwinkie

OldTimeTwinkie

• 196 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 08:43 PM

If baseball gets started by the middle of July I probably will be interested but if they wait till August I like most fans could care less probably once football starts
  • rdehring likes this

#48 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 June 2020 - 07:32 AM

If baseball gets started by the middle of July I probably will be interested but if they wait till August I like most fans could care less probably once football starts

Agreed. That is the risk MLB took by waiting this long. We’ve run out of time to have anything more than the 50 game season now. When is Manfred going to make the announcement?

#49 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:36 AM

Screw them.

Of course, if you read the details on Fangraphs, the players have moved over the last month, and the owners have not.....

The owners just got 22 million a year more....will they give any of that to players? Of course not. 

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#50 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:38 AM

I'm with you buddy! The owners and league are taking a massive financial hit due to something (Covid-19) beyond their control.

The players have effectively said "That's not our problem. I want my money". They're behaving like debt collectors for the mob, no empathy no sympathy just GIVE ME MY MONEY. Blake Snell said as much, verbatim. And worst of all, ZERO consideration for the fans. Are the owners innocent angels who can do no wrong? Of course not! But should they really bear 100% of the financial hit for this pandemic?

The crazy part is that probably 75% of the players would be fine with the league's proposal, but the player's union and a few hard-asses in leadership are screwing this up for the rest of the guys. I am sure that guys like Polanco, Sano, and Kepler would be on the field right now warming up for a Sunday afternoon ballgame right now if they could.

At this point just have a week-long skills exhibition in Orlando and be done with it, because a 50-game season is an absolute slap in the face to anyone who follows the game.

The owners just signed a deal for 22 million more per year per team, starting next year. Will they give that unanticipated income to the players? Of course not.

The risk of ownership is that sometimes you don't make as much money as you want.......

The Royals just sold for a billion dollars, does anyone not think MLB is incredibly profitable? 

#51 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,873 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 10:42 AM

A 48 game schedule is not going to be compressed. The more weeks they can get the more money the owners will make. 

#52 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:07 AM

Screw them.

#53 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,157 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:30 AM

Of course, if you read the details on Fangraphs, the players have moved over the last month, and the owners have not.....

The owners just got 22 million a year more....will they give any of that to players? Of course not. 

not meant to be argumentative, but shouldn't the owners give the players 11 million (half of the 22) and spread that over 26 (not sure the correct number, is it 40 or maybe all the of employees?) that would be between 423K and 280K. My guess is that they owners will in one way or another spread around 11 million out.

Off to another topic

What does a 50 or 60 game season look like? Is there a trade deadline? I don't really want to see a season this short, but I guess it could be good for the Twins, if they start out hot, they could make a run, if they start out cold, they have a ton of assets they could trade away.

Or they could "moneyball" it and regardless of how well they do they could try to get assets on the cheap from other teams.

Either way it all seems like a gimmick just to get something in.

#54 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 12:14 PM

Here you go....

https://blogs.fangra...ball-they-want/

#55 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,873 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 12:30 PM

470 million a year new contract minus 325 million old contract divided by 30 is not 22 unless you are a crooked accountant.

• rdehring likes this

#56 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:07 PM

470 million a year new contract minus 325 million old contract divided by 30 is not 22 unless you are a crooked accountant.

The new contract is for 1 billion a year.....not 470 unless all the Tweets were incorrect......

#57 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,394 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:20 PM

I don’t think the KC Royals — or Minnesota Twins — would fetch $1 Billion dollars today.
  • USAFChief, glunn and bighat like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#58 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,873 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:22 PM

The new contract is for 1 billion a year.....not 470 unless all the Tweets were incorrect......

https://www.forbes.c...s/#4bb7cc184411

#59 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:23 PM

I don’t think the KC Royals — or Minnesota Twins — would fetch $1 Billion dollars today.

I’d take that bet. Supply and demand. How many professional sports teams are available for purchase? Maybe 1 every 4-5 years? $1 billion, easily.
  • glunn and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#60 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:35 PM

I'll take that bet. People don't buy long term assets based on the next year or two........look at the stock market.....

• glunn and Hosken Bombo Disco like this