Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Miller: Twins Drafted Super Bowl-winning Quarterback

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,311 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:03 PM

https://www.startrib...raft/571120592/

Phil Miller chatted with former Twins draft pick, and NFL MVP and Super Bowl champion Quarterback Joe Thiesmann. With their 39th (and final) pick in the 1971 MLB draft, the Twins took the shortstop from Notre Dame. 

Theisman says he considered signing for $500 and has that contract somewhere... but he went back to Notre Dame, had a big season and went full-time to football. 

• glunn, nicksaviking and nclahammer like this

#2 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 927 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 10:04 AM

Interesting factoid, I had never heard of this. If he would have signed with the Twins then he wouldn't have changed the pronunciation of his last name to rhyme with the Heisman Trophy.
  • nicksaviking likes this

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,757 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 10:29 AM

Interesting factoid, I had never heard of this. If he would have signed with the Twins then he wouldn't have changed the pronunciation of his last name to rhyme with the Heisman Trophy.

Agreed! This can go under the long list of interesting things I should have known about baseball but didn't!

#4 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,895 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:20 AM

Nor would he have sustained one of the more horrific sports-related injuries ever captured on camera.

#5 Trov

Trov

Ft Myers Miracle

• 429 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 09:17 AM

Many football players were drafted in baseball over the years.Some even very high picks, like Kyler Murray, or John Elway.Some much later as a flyer chance, or as some favor to the family.However, it is fun to look back at some of these draft picks.  

#6 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,619 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 10:28 AM

Joe Thrawlings to rhyme with the Gold Glove sponsor doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

• theBOMisthebomb and Nine of twelve like this