Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Would you attend a game right now?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,157 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 07:09 AM

Me too. But I have to use the disclaimer that to me responsibly means that I'd never be within 10 feet of anyone other than my immediate family. And it also means disinfecting wipes galore and everyone wears a mask.

Honest question, have you been out in pubic lately? The only place I have been where I wasn't within 10 feet of somebody is my car, this includes parks, stores and getting food.

Also there is no chance I am sitting in the sun for 3 plus hours with a mask on (ZERO Chance)

• SF Twins Fan and Kevin Luckow like this

#42 Trov

Trov

Ft Myers Miracle

• 414 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 09:28 AM

It would greatly depend on how it is structured.How would they be able to have 6 feet between me and others I do not know?For the people that have season tickets, who gets to actually attend, do they have it go first come first serve and if someone claims theirs, then the seats within 6 feet are blocked off an cannot go?Would get to use their ticket for different seats and get the refund for the price difference?Will the employees be regularly tested?I would not buy food or beverages that is for sure.If parents cannot control their child from staying 6 feet from me will I be able to get them removed, or have option to upgrade my seats? 

Most likely I would wait for all the kinks to get worked out.  

• SQUIRREL, Sconnie and Nine of twelve like this

#43 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 663 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 08 June 2020 - 11:00 AM

If the season started today I would be part of the wait and see crowd. However, with the season likely starting at the end of July I would be willing to go then. COVID19 has been trending downward in the US and in MN for the last week to two weeks. As long as it continues, in another month and a half the number of active cases, number of hospitalizations and deaths should be down considerably.

#44 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 546 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 11:14 AM

It would be a no for me for many of the same reasons others have stated.

Even with seating being spread out it would be difficult to avoid common areas (esp rest rooms), and I usually take the Light Rail to the games.

• Sconnie likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#45 Cast of Thousands

Cast of Thousands

Elizabethton Twins

• 46 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 11:56 AM

Absolutely.

I wouldn't think twice about going to a game right now.  I would also bet just about any amount of money that come September, there will be football with stadiums full of fans, without question. 

• Teddy likes this

#46 Teddy

Teddy

• 110 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 08 June 2020 - 12:35 PM

I'd be there tomorrow, and wouldn't even think twice about it.

#47 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,650 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 12:53 PM

Absolutely.

I wouldn't think twice about going to a game right now. I would also bet just about any amount of money that come September, there will be football with stadiums full of fans, without question.

Not in Minnesota there won’t be. I think it is pretty safe to bet that in September large gatherings (concerts, sports, etc) will still be limited to 50% of a stadium’s capacity with a maximum of 10,000 fans anywhere. Concessions probably won’t be allowed and masks will be required.

#48 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 503 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 01:07 PM

If they only sell tickets in every other row and guarantee seats between groups I might. But would not be keen on getting concessions etc. so I'm not sure it's really worth it. 

I would hope that there would be a bunch of folks with your approach to going so that I could just roam the stadium at will and grab a cold brewski without waiting. Maybe check the scoreboard every now and then.

#49 Cast of Thousands

Cast of Thousands

Elizabethton Twins

• 46 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 03:18 PM

Not in Minnesota there won’t be. I think it is pretty safe to bet that in September large gatherings (concerts, sports, etc) will still be limited to 50% of a stadium’s capacity with a maximum of 10,000 fans anywhere. Concessions probably won’t be allowed and masks will be required.

It's June 8 today.  In many places I've been, masks are already almost non-existent other than the staff at various businesses.  Things will look a lot different from now by the time the 4th of July rolls around, much less Labor Day.  This is moving in the right direction, in a positive direction, more and more every day.

• TopGunn#22, SF Twins Fan and Tomj14 like this

#50 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,650 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:42 PM

It's June 8 today. In many places I've been, masks are already almost non-existent other than the staff at various businesses. Things will look a lot different from now by the time the 4th of July rolls around, much less Labor Day. This is moving in the right direction, in a positive direction, more and more every day.

Starting Wednesday, the “dial” gets turned to allow groups of up to 250. Do you really foresee the threshold being over 10,000 in less than 90 days?

The Minnesota State Fair has already been cancelled. That is usually scheduled until Labor Day. Major events at full capacity is probably not something that will happen without a vaccine in most states. Also, I don’t want to turn this into a political debate, but what happens in November is going to matter for how the government deals with COVID-19 in 2021.

#51 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,082 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:25 PM

I would hope that there would be a bunch of folks with your approach to going so that I could just roam the stadium at will and grab a cold brewski without waiting. Maybe check the scoreboard every now and then.

I'm good with buying a hotdog from the hotdog guy rather than standing in lines with 50 other people for now.

• Tomj14 likes this

#52 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,082 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:27 PM

Starting Wednesday, the “dial” gets turned to allow groups of up to 250. Do you really foresee the threshold being over 10,000 in less than 90 days?

The Minnesota State Fair has already been cancelled. That is usually scheduled until Labor Day. Major events at full capacity is probably not something that will happen without a vaccine in most states. Also, I don’t want to turn this into a political debate, but what happens in November is going to matter for how the government deals with COVID-19 in 2021.

On the 2nd part, yes and no. It's still mostly going to be on the states to decide how it's dealt with (granted some of them are on the ballot in November but most aren't.)

#53 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,889 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:55 PM

Honest question, have you been out in pubic lately? The only place I have been where I wasn't within 10 feet of somebody is my car, this includes parks, stores and getting food.

Also there is no chance I am sitting in the sun for 3 plus hours with a mask on (ZERO Chance)

Going out in pubic is against the law. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

After a two-month furlough I returned to working full time beginning May 18, in a job in which it is necessary for me to be within 2 feet of people. These people are screened before I encounter them and are turned away if they are symptomatic or have been exposed. Everyone, both fellow employees and the people we serve, is required to be masked, no exceptions. I have had little to no trouble staying 6-10 feet away from people in parks, stores, and getting food. If you are consistently closer than that in those situations it seems to me you are making little to no effort to avoid that.

I don't particularly like wearing a mask but I have found it's an inconvenience at worst and it has not been difficult getting used to wearing one. It's not dissimilar to when I chose to get used to wearing a seat belt in the early '80's. I feel that wearing a mask is the least one can do out of common courtesy to show consideration for one's fellow human beings, even while sitting in the sun for 3 plus hours. This is especially true in places where people are not screened for symptoms or possible exposure. I don't understand why anyone should angry about wearing one. (To be clear, I'm not saying you are angry but I am asking if you are. And, honest question, if so, why?)

• Dantes929 and Musk21 like this

#54 obtusebanter

obtusebanter

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 162 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 June 2020 - 08:12 PM

I've been camping with my kids back to Minneapolis (Black Hills) and will be camping back to Denver in a week (Lake Scott). That's different from a ballgame though. 

It has been curious to engage with different states. We socially distance and use masks. Different places take it different ways. It's been a trip.  

• SQUIRREL, ashbury and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#55 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• 414 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 09:55 PM

Don't intend on ever seeing another game in Minneapolis to be brutally honest. I would love to go down to Kansas City and watch the Twins at Kauffman Stadium though. Maybe sometime in the future. 2021 perhaps. KC is a great place to visit!

#56 flpmagikat

flpmagikat

• 96 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 11:23 PM

I would have no problem going to a game for fear of falling ill. The main reason I don’t think I would is that the crowds and atmosphere are a big reason I enjoy going in the first place. And the other idea of spending a hot day in a half full stadium wearing a mask doesn’t sound like a very enjoyable day experience.

That said, if hypothetically they announced a partial season that allowed fans in the stands, I’m sure I’d try to get tickets to the opener. I’ve got a $150 credit at stubhub burning a hole in my pocket lol 😂

#57 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 113 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:59 AM

I would go to any sporting event right now, hall full or completely full. Im a healthy adult, have yet to know anyone who has had it and have yet to know people who know people who has had it. If you are worried about getting it, stay home. If not, go out there and live your life. Play ball. 

• Tomj14 and Doctor Gast like this

#58 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,588 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 09 June 2020 - 10:08 AM

Me and my family will probably be holding out until next season (2021) at a minimum. For all reasons already listed.

I'd love to go to a game, but given my repeated exposure (I'm a nurse), I'm not going just as much to protect others, as much as my own. Plus wearing a mask in the summer heat for 3+ hours is not an endeavor I wish to encounter.

• ashbury, howeda7, Craig Arko and 3 others like this
Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#59 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 448 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:16 PM

Me and my family will probably be holding out until next season (2021) at a minimum. For all reasons already listed.

I'd love to go to a game, but given my repeated exposure (I'm a nurse), I'm not going just as much to protect others, as much as my own. Plus wearing a mask in the summer heat for 3+ hours is not an endeavor I wish to encounter.

Thank you so much for your service!

#60 Cast of Thousands

Cast of Thousands

Elizabethton Twins

• 46 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 09:42 PM

I would go to any sporting event right now, hall full or completely full. Im a healthy adult, have yet to know anyone who has had it and have yet to know people who know people who has had it. If you are worried about getting it, stay home. If not, go out there and live your life. Play ball. 

Agree, 100%. People themselves are more most able and best suited to determine their OWN level of risk, with COVID exposure or anything else in life.  Assess your own situation, and take the appropriate precautions and measures to do the right thing for yourself and others.  And yes, I have yet to know a single person or anyone that knows anyone that has had it.

It's time to move on

• TopGunn#22 and Doctor Gast like this