Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Kent Hrbek inside the park homer at the Metrodome in 1984

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:22 PM

This was Sept. 11, 1984. The Twins and Royals entered this game tied for first place in the AL West. Twins won 5-1, Tom Brunansky hit his 30th homer and Frank Viola struck out nine in a complete game. Hrbek was the runner up in AL MVP voting that year.

The entire game is available on YouTube (not my channel) here: https://youtu.be/imsBN7XKB_c Came across this looking for some video of Tim Teufel, oddly enough.

• nclahammer and Doctor Gast like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#2 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

bomba stick

• 8,740 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:10 PM

This was Sept. 11, 1984. The Twins and Royals entered this game tied for first place in the AL West. Twins won 5-1, Tom Brunansky hit his 30th homer and Frank Viola struck out nine in a complete game. Hrbek was the runner up in AL MVP voting that year.

The entire game is available on YouTube (not my channel) here: https://youtu.be/imsBN7XKB_c Came across this looking for some video of Tim Teufel, oddly enough.

Apparently he also hit an inside the parker in September '82, according to the announcer.
  • SQUIRREL and nclahammer like this

#3 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 503 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:50 AM

Only in the Dome. Double anywhere else. A real home field advantage destroyed and replaced with a generic cookie cutter "modern ball park" where the record is the same or worse than the road record. I know, I know.

• theBOMisthebomb and Doctor Gast like this

#4 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 299 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:05 AM

I hated the idea of the Metrodome early on. Metropolitan Stadium holds many great memories for me. But once you walked from the concourse out to the seating at the Metrodome and took in the view with the green turf and blue seating, it took your breath away (not to mention the air pressure change entering the stadium doing that, ha ha). Once I got used to it, I liked it. No rain outs, AC, easy transportation. It was kind of like the Guthrie Theatre of Baseball. Plus you had "that team" coming together. Seeing Herbie round the bases again . . . awesome. Gaetti wasn't too fired up about it, was he.

#5 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 924 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:59 AM

Only in the Dome. Double anywhere else. A real home field advantage destroyed and replaced with a generic cookie cutter "modern ball park" where the record is the same or worse than the road record. I know, I know.

Man, it feels good to talk Dome vs. Target Field instead of current events! The Dome is championships and Target Field is glorious outdoor baseball. Long term I will take the World Series titles, although a sunny Saturday afternoon at Target Field sounds like nirvana right about now. The original 2020 schedule had the Twins hosting the Angels for a four game series starting today.
  • Doctor Gast likes this

#6 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 503 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:15 AM

Living in SW VA I only went to one game at the Dome but it was a very enjoyable experience. The game we went to was significant in that there was a young player named Ortiz playing first base for the Twins and a young left fielder named Hunter who made an amazing throw to the plate from the left field corner.

Same trip we went to the Mall of America and I was unaware that that was the site of Metropolitan. As an aside we also headed north to the rustic resort, Gunflint, and enjoyed that very much. I also wish that I had been aware that Duluth is the "head" of the Mississippi River since you pass by Duluth on the way to Gunflint. All in all, Minnesota as it really is.

#7 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 546 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:29 PM

Thanks Tom! GREAT memory!

I know one guy who wanted to implode the Metrodome - Charlie Leibrandt.

He is in this highlight, was the starting pitcher in the Twins last home game in 1987 where the Twins unloaded 3 HRs (including a 3 run bomb from Hrbek) on him in the first inning on route to a 8-1 victory that essetially clinched the 1987 Pennant.

Oh - and he game up that home run in 11th inning of that game in October back in 1991...

• Tom Froemming likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#8 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,394 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:49 PM

Because who wouldn’t be searching for Tim Teufel videos last night? :)
  • Tom Froemming and Nine of twelve like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,394 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:50 PM

Honest question: were you looking for a particular Tim Teufel inside-the-park home run?
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#10 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,890 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:14 PM

I'd say Hrbek was in the best physical condition of his life at that time.

#11 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:29 PM

Honest question: were you looking for a particular Tim Teufel inside-the-park home run?

Yes, and I found it, but I still needed a bit more, which is how I got into watching this game. I'm working on a video on Teufel in the same format I made these Cristian Guzman and Mike Marshall videos. Hoping to have it done by the end of the weekend, we'll see.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#12 rghrbek

rghrbek

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 698 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:15 PM

A reminder my favorite twin finished 2nd in the MVP balloting that year to Willie Hernandez, Detroit's World Series winning relief pitcher.

He was and is an underrated player..

#13 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 503 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:27 AM

Don't know the year exactly but I was listening to an Os - Twins game on the Baltimore radio station when I still lived in Northern VA. Chuck Thompson was the Os play by play guy (who did a fantastic job by the way). Hrbek was at the plate and the call went something like this. "Hrbek swings ...that ball is out of here." The ball was in the right field bleachers before Thompson could get the words out of his mouth. Having been to old Memorial Stadium several times, I could easily picture a laser shot into those bleachers. I would bet that Hrbek would say that was the sweetest contact he ever made.

#14 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 448 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:59 AM

Thanks Tom, always love to see in the park HRs. This especially was special because it was a crucial game & that it came from Hrbek who wasn`t known for his speed, what he lacked in speed he made up w/ heart. That`s how he played the game