Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Analytics-Focused

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 denarded

denarded

• 143 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 02:54 PM

From The Athletic regarding projected draft picks

27. Minnesota Twins: Clayton Beeter, RHP, Texas Tech

Beeter might have worked his way into the first half of the round had the season continued, but as it is, some teams’ models have his hammer curveball as the best pitch in the draft, which puts him in the mix for an analytics-focused team like the Twins.

Amazing National Media recognizes Twins as a tech savvy team. Apparently we've come a long way quick

• Sconnie, DocBauer and TFRazor like this
Wikipedia is for suckers

#2 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• 185 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:46 AM

I agree denarded.Who would have EVER thought the Twins would be described in that fashion during the Terry Ryan years.  

#3 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 795 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:14 AM

From The Athletic regarding projected draft picks

27. Minnesota Twins: Clayton Beeter, RHP, Texas Tech

Beeter might have worked his way into the first half of the round had the season continued, but as it is, some teams’ models have his hammer curveball as the best pitch in the draft, which puts him in the mix for an analytics-focused team like the Twins.

Amazing National Media recognizes Twins as a tech savvy team. Apparently we've come a long way quick

Can we say that maybe that Falvine hire may have been a smart move?

• DocBauer likes this

#4 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 505 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:17 PM

The only analytic I care about is 101 victories. I am very suspicious that analytics had anything to do with the Twins setting a MLB 4bagger record in the process of winning 101 games. Earl Weaver was the big proponent of the 3 run homer combined with good pitching and he probably couldn't spell analytics. Maybe Falvine read Weaver's book. Analytics just gives a bunch of geeks jobs in sports who probably would buy a right handed glove if they were right handed. How many analysts were laid off during the pandemic? Show me a team that meets the eye test and show me a team that meets the spreadsheet test. I'll take the team that meets the eye test every time.