Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Torii, LaTroy Participate in The Athletic's Discussion on Race, Baseball, America

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:54 PM

Doug Glanville of The Athletic hosted a panel of fellow former African American baseball players that included Torii Hunter and LaTroy Hawkins. Here's a link. This unlocked, so you don't need a subscription to view it. Both a video stream and a transcription of the article are included.

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, glunn and 6 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#2 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• 9,676 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:24 PM

Doug Glanville of The Athletic hosted a panel of fellow former African American baseball players that included Torii Hunter and LaTroy Hawkins. Here's a link. This unlocked, so you don't need a subscription to view it. Both a video stream and a transcription of the article are included.

This is a good read. Thanks for the link.

• ashbury and Tom Froemming like this

#3 Intramural Legend

Intramural Legend

• 543 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:50 AM

I thought this was a great read, and everyone should take a look.This was particularly interesting to me as a Twins fan:

"Hunter: We had a situation, LaTroy and I in our organization — no names. But we had a situation where players were getting called the n-word or being told, “Turn your kind of music down.” Different things like that. And now we’re in that front office. We said, “Hey, do something about it.” And we went to (chief baseball officer) Derek Falvey right away. Bam! Derek Falvey did something about it. That’s what we need.

Derek Falvey got the information, didn’t cover it up. He got (this guy) out of there because we can’t do that. It’s time for change. That’s why I have so much respect for Derek Falvey, for listening to LaTroy and I, listening to some of the players on the team, that voiced their opinion about what this guy was saying to them, their problem, their complaint. That’s what it’s going to take."

The team seems operating in a very positive way between stories like this, and their response to the lost baseball season.It is good to see, and hopefully is going a long way to ending the view of it being "the country club" and the Pohlad pocket protectors. 

As for the article itself.It is both enlightening and difficult to read.I suggest everyone take a look.I think of how I have viewed Torii over the years (great, fun, annoying, loud) and want to look internally to how I react to him vs others that may have a similar personality. 

• SQUIRREL, glunn, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

#4 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,480 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:08 AM

I thought this was a great read, and everyone should take a look.This was particularly interesting to me as a Twins fan:

"Hunter: We had a situation, LaTroy and I in our organization — no names. But we had a situation where players were getting called the n-word or being told, “Turn your kind of music down.” Different things like that. And now we’re in that front office. We said, “Hey, do something about it.” And we went to (chief baseball officer) Derek Falvey right away. Bam! Derek Falvey did something about it. That’s what we need.

Derek Falvey got the information, didn’t cover it up. He got (this guy) out of there because we can’t do that. It’s time for change. That’s why I have so much respect for Derek Falvey, for listening to LaTroy and I, listening to some of the players on the team, that voiced their opinion about what this guy was saying to them, their problem, their complaint. That’s what it’s going to take."

The team seems operating in a very positive way between stories like this, and their response to the lost baseball season.It is good to see, and hopefully is going a long way to ending the view of it being "the country club" and the Pohlad pocket protectors. 

As for the article itself.It is both enlightening and difficult to read.I suggest everyone take a look.I think of how I have viewed Torii over the years (great, fun, annoying, loud) and want to look internally to how I react to him vs others that may have a similar personality. 

I focused laser-like on that part of the transcript too. I wish to know more, though I can understand why they didn't get specific.

I am a bit unclear on whether he was referring to incidents back when they were team mates and then very similar incidents occurred recently and Falvey took action in contrast to before, or whether he was referring only to something recent. "In our organization" sounds more like the latter, but could mean back in the 1999-2003 time frame.

• glunn, nicksaviking and Sconnie like this

If your attack appears to be going well, then you're in an ambush.

#5 Intramural Legend

Intramural Legend

• 543 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:20 AM

I focused laser-like on that part of the transcript too. I wish to know more, though I can understand why they didn't get specific.

I am a bit unclear on whether he was referring to incidents back when they were team mates and then very similar incidents occurred recently and Falvey took action in contrast to before, or whether he was referring only to something recent. "In our organization" sounds more like the latter, but could mean back in the 1999-2003 time frame.

Agree, I took it as it was happening in realtime, so I would guess shortly after they took over. Given that the Twins had a number of people that were around for so long, it is not impossible for it to have been someone that has been around for an extended period of time. 

• glunn likes this

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,757 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:56 AM

Wow, if Falvey had to get rid of this guy, it was somewhat recent. Hunter also implied it was happening back when LaTroy was still playing for the Twins as well. So either it was one guy who had a long tenure, or it was lots of guys, which, boy, I really hope not because I would lose a lot of respect for Terry Ryan and Ron Gardenhire.

Without saying names, I can think of an employee who was removed somewhat surprisingly and had been around that whole time.

• ashbury, glunn and Intramural Legend like this

#7 Intramural Legend

Intramural Legend

• 543 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:01 AM

Wow, if Falvey had to get rid of this guy, it was somewhat recent. Hunter also implied it was happening back when LaTroy was still playing for the Twins as well. So either it was one guy who had a long tenure, or it was lots of guys, which, boy, I really hope not because I would lose a lot of respect for Terry Ryan and Ron Gardenhire.

Without saying names, I can think of an employee who was removed somewhat surprisingly and had been around that whole time.

Agree - it hard not to think about associating names to this story

• ashbury likes this

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,757 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:15 AM

Agree - it hard not to think about associating names to this story

And on second thought, whether it was one guy or several, I'm still greatly disappointed by Ryan and Gardenhire. I always liked those two as people, I'm struggling to view those two in the same light now.

Ugh, I didn't even think of Paul Molitor. I hope he didn't cast a blind eye as well. This is really upsetting to me.

• SQUIRREL and Intramural Legend like this

#9 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• 355 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:30 AM

It was not TC Bear.

SblamiVvl-SFSfi_8yN5GGvjJk0=.gif

#10 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,155 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:50 PM

This is a great read, thank you so much for sharing.

You have someone like (Gary) Sheffield. He was called militant. But he told you a truth for years. And no one listened. He probably got kicked out of baseball a little earlier than he should have been. And you see those things, it’s kind of like a harness. If you do it to him, you’re going to do it to me. So, I had better be careful what I say.

I stepped out and said a lot of different things. I got backlash all the time. And it kind of suppressed me a little bit. Sometimes people would come to me and say, “You need to be quiet.” I was like, “I can’t, it’s happening right here.”

Hawkins: We didn’t even mention Bruce Maxwell. He’s completely out of the game, playing in Mexico. He’s the only major-league player who took a knee.

Hunter: And he’s out.

#11 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,155 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:34 PM

In that vein, Hunter was interviewed and mentioned how bad Boston was. He put a no-trade to Boston in all his contracts. 

https://www.si.com/e...no-trade-clause

#12 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,053 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:04 AM

Dislike of music by calling it your kind of music may have nothing to do with ethnicity.  One person's music is another's torture.