Jump to content

Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Max Kepler and the Cost of Silence

max kepler
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
346 replies to this topic

#341 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

    A Little Teapot

  • Owner
  • 23,693 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:27 AM

 

Isn't that the whole point of this article? It's spent the entire time telling us how we should explain to our children that, contrary to all evidence, the police are out hunting down people due to the color of their skin.

In 2019 police officers fatally shot 1,004 people, most of whom were armed or dangerous, 234 of which were Black Americans. That share of shootings is LESS that what would be expected of Black American crime rates. In 2018 (last complete statistics we have), Black Americans made up 53% of known homicide offenders, committed 63% of robberies, and all that despite the fact they make up only 13% of the population. And honestly it's mostly young males from the Black American population so that 13% is too large. Black women are not typically the ones committing the crimes. According to the Washington Post, police fatally shot 9 unarmed Black Americans and 19 unarmed White Americans in 2019. The Post defines "unarmed" so broadly that one of the suspects had a loaded handgun in his car at the time of his interaction with law enforcement but they still put him in the unarmed category. In 2018, there were 7,400 Black American homicide victims. Assuming a comparable rate of police involved fatalities of unarmed Black American, that's 9 out of 7,400. That's 0.1%. 

 

Now maybe I don't understand statistics, but it's pretty easy to figure out that a 0.1% rate doesn't equal systemic racism.

 

And finally, on Memorial Day, 10 Black Americans were killed in drive-by shootings in Chicago. I haven't heard a peep about that from you or anyone on this board. "Complicity by silence" perhaps?

Yes, "complicity by silence". Because I'm not voting for, donating to, and helping end systemic racism as a whole. The mere fact that I haven't gone on tangents on this particular forum in the past month about literally everything wrong with America regarding race is a real "gotcha" moment for you.

 

You're part of the problem. 

 

And, again, how ****ing dare you think you know a goddamned thing about how to raise black children. I've literally spent years studying, listening, and trying to be the best, most prepared parent I can to raise my children for their specific needs.

 

And you just waltz in and say what you've said? Shame on you. SHAME ON YOU.


#342 rdehring

rdehring

    Rochester Red Wings

  • Member
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:27 AM

 

Cool story. I lost my mother and brother to Asian street racers doing 120mph in a raced out Honda.

 

Next time something bad happens to an Asian person, I'll be sure to step in and post exactly what you posted here.

 

That's fair, right? That wouldn't be the least bit condescending or have the taint of gloat on it at all.

I would have not referred to what I said as cool, Brock. Sad may be much more appropriate. I can not begin to understand the loss you must have felt and continue to feel from the loss of your Mom and brother.  

 

Unfortunately you finished your reply by degrading what I said and feel. I cannot begin to understand the pain you must live with to have such hatred for those of us who do not have the same anger as you. I pray that God will find a way to ease that pain as you go on with your life.

  • scottz and notoriousgod71 like this

#343 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

    A Little Teapot

  • Owner
  • 23,693 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:44 AM

 

I would have not referred to what I said as cool, Brock. Sad may be much more appropriate. I can not begin to understand the loss you must have felt and continue to feel from the loss of your Mom and brother.  

 

Unfortunately you finished your reply by degrading what I said and feel. I cannot begin to understand the pain you must live with to have such hatred for those of us who do not have the same anger as you. I pray that God will find a way to ease that pain as you go on with your life.

You literally said you're not angry about police kneeling on a man's neck for ten minutes as he cried for his mother.

 

That's not okay.


#344 TFRazor

TFRazor

    Who's on first?

  • Member
  • 806 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:47 AM

 

Yes, "complicity by silence". Because I'm not voting for, donating to, and helping end systemic racism as a whole. The mere fact that I haven't gone on tangents on this particular forum in the past month about literally everything wrong with America regarding race is a real "gotcha" moment for you.

 

You're part of the problem. 

 

And, again, how ****ing dare you think you know a goddamned thing about how to raise black children. I've literally spent years studying, listening, and trying to be the best, most prepared parent I can to raise my children for their specific needs.

 

And you just waltz in and say what you've said? Shame on you. SHAME ON YOU.

I don't believe I once questioned your abilities as a parent. I don't doubt that raising children black offers it's own unique challenges as opposed to raising those of caucasian descent and if you feel I was denigrating the work and effort you have expended then I offer my sincerest apologies as that was not my intent. But to quote you from earlier in the thread, "I think you're reading more into than I actually said". Of course you didn't go off on tangents over the last month about everything wrong with America. However you picked this tangent and here we are. What exactly did I say? That interactions between the police and unarmed Black Americans, there's a 0.1% chance that ends in a fatality? Should I have instead said that there was a 99.9% chance that it wouldn't? Should I have included that police officers are 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a Black American male than that same unarmed male has of being killed by the police.

 

Think I'm the problem all you want. It doesn't make you any less wrong. As for you "shaming" me, I'm not going to take it personally. You're pissed at what happened in Minneapolis and rightfully so.


#345 amiller92

amiller92

    Elizabethton Twins

  • Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:01 AM

This is great. Thanks, Nick.


#346 rdehring

rdehring

    Rochester Red Wings

  • Member
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:13 AM

 

You literally said you're not angry about police kneeling on a man's neck for ten minutes as he cried for his mother.

 

That's not okay.

My wife and I were sitting on the couch watching the news when I saw the tape for the first time. I recall shaking my head and feeling sad, not angry. I also recall wondering what in the world the officer could have been thinking as he murdered Mr. Floyd, didn't he know that he was killing this man and would spend the rest of his life in prison?

 

But who are you to say it is not ok for me to feel sad, rather than angry. For your information, I also felt sad as I stayed up much of the next couple nights and watch much of Lake Street burned to the ground.I felt sad one morning when I watched channel whatever interview the old black gal in a wheelchair who lived in fear the night before as rioters approached the high rise she lives in. I recall feeling sad when she talked about not knowing how she was going to get to a store to buy food.

 

I also am sad every time a young black gal is lying in her bed in St. Paul and a bullet comes through the wall of her home. I recall being sad when I recall the young black child sitting in a car chair at a stop sign in St. Paul when he was shot by someone in another car.

 

I continue to wonder when someone with the ability to do so is going to do something to stop all the senseless shooting in America. I know, however, that an old white guy isn't going to be the one to accomplish that, so I keep my mouth shut. But I will tell you that it does upset me to have someone I have never met tell me what I have to think or how to act. I cannot understand how anyone can honestly believe he has that right. And you don't need to submit another smart reply as I have said more than I should have and will not respond. 

  • scottz, bunsen82 and TFRazor like this

#347 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

    Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

  • Moderator
  • 26,391 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:37 AM

Fear. Anger. Frustration. Sadness. Indifference. Loss. Apathy. Fear. Anger. Frustration. Sadness.

 

Emotions are powerful things. They can lead us down paths for betterment and fuel change. But they can also cause harm as we lash out because of them. In this thread they have run the gamut and I see no further purpose to continue with this discussion here and now, today, in this thread, on this website. I do think further conversation and thought out in the world is necessary, but not right here and now in this thread. Just to remind everyone what is in our comments policy:

 

"Please be mindful that comments relating to racial, cultural, religious, national, gender and sexual identity can be offensive, ditto locker room talk, even when there is no disrespectful intent."

 

Please be mindful. 

 

Thank you.

  • Brock Beauchamp, lecroy24fan, glunn and 3 others like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”



Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: max kepler