Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Torii Hunter signs 2 year deal with Detroit

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 SDTwinsFan

SDTwinsFan

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Doesn't this deal make trading Span or Willingham a more worthwhile thought? If teams are throwing around $13 mil for Torii, I imagine Bourne and Upton are going to get PAID. Span and Willingham with their respective contracts are going to look VERY appealing soon.

#32 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

Doesn't this deal make trading Span or Willingham a more worthwhile thought? If teams are throwing around $13 mil for Torii, I imagine Bourne and Upton are going to get PAID. Span and Willingham with their respective contracts are going to look VERY appealing soon.

Been saying that all along..especially Span.

#33 Kobs

Kobs

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

Hunter is better than Delmon. He also gets a guy like Brennan Boesch out of the lineup. Meanwhile Victor Martinez takes over for Delmon at the DH. I'm not a big Torii Hunter fan at all, and it's far too many dollars.

So, I do think this move makes the Tigers a little bit better. Not a ton. Based on the fact that they were 20 games better than the Twins last year (and that's likely because they didn't really come together as a good team until late in the season), my thinking all along has been that they should be shooting for 2014 or 2015 to compete.

Hunter was better than Young in 2012, I don't think that's anywhere near a certainty in 2013. Hunter is old and had an extremely lucky season.

You're also looking at this the wrong way, the opportunity cost of this move is what will really hurt the Tigers. What else could they have gotten for $13,000,000 over the next two years? Can you get, for example, Nick Swisher (a significantly better bet to help your team) for that?

#34 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

Hunter is better than Delmon. He also gets a guy like Brennan Boesch out of the lineup. Meanwhile Victor Martinez takes over for Delmon at the DH. I'm not a big Torii Hunter fan at all, and it's far too many dollars.

So, I do think this move makes the Tigers a little bit better. Not a ton. Based on the fact that they were 20 games better than the Twins last year (and that's likely because they didn't really come together as a good team until late in the season), my thinking all along has been that they should be shooting for 2014 or 2015 to compete.

Hunter was better than Young in 2012, I don't think that's anywhere near a certainty in 2013. Hunter is old and had an extremely lucky season.

You're also looking at this the wrong way, the opportunity cost of this move is what will really hurt the Tigers. What else could they have gotten for $13,000,000 over the next two years? Can you get, for example, Nick Swisher (a significantly better bet to help your team) for that?

FWIW Swisher is looking for "Jayson Werth money." Though 2/26 for Hunter is very absurd, I was thinking he would be lucky to get a 1/8 deal or a 2/14.

#35 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

I thought he might get another year on the deal but it sounds like he wants tot try and win a championship in Detroit.

#36 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

FWIW Swisher is looking for "Jayson Werth money." Though 2/26 for Hunter is very absurd, I was thinking he would be lucky to get a 1/8 deal or a 2/14.

Interesting.

Back in July I brought up the possibility of the Twins getting Hunter and here's what you said:

1 year yes. 2 years? no way.

1 year 4-5 mil sounds about right. He could play a solid RF and fill in at DH when needed.

twinsdaily.com/showthread.php?2370-Torii-Hunter-and-the-Twins-in-2013
[FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#000000]"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." [/COLOR][/FONT]

#37 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

[quote name='powrwrap'][quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave']
FWIW Swisher is looking for "Jayson Werth money." Though 2/26 for Hunter is very absurd, I was thinking he would be lucky to get a 1/8 deal or a 2/14.[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

Back in July I brought up the possibility of the Twins getting Hunter and here's what you said:

[quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave']1 year yes. 2 years? no way.

1 year 4-5 mil sounds about right. He could play a solid RF and fill in at DH when needed. [/QUOTE]

twinsdaily.com/showthread.php?2370-Torii-Hunter-and-the-Twins-in-2013[/QUOTE]
and?
That is what I felt comfortable with giving him and still would, when I said I thought he would be lucky to get 1/8 or 2/14 that is on the open market. Give me Willingham at 3/21 any day of the week over those options.

I sure as hell wouldn't give Hunter 2 years here or even a one year deal approaching the salary he got, and only advocated bringing him in if Span/Revere were traded and Hicks/Arcia weren't ready.

This is a stupid deal for the Tigers IMO.

#38 Kobs

Kobs

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

Swisher can be looking for whatever he wants.