Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Documentary on Red Wings - What Happened to It?

documentaries minor league baseball red wings
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TwinsArmChairGM_Jon

TwinsArmChairGM_Jon

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

I remember hearing about a an upcoming PBS documentary focused on the '09 Rochester Red Wings season, but I don't remember it being broadcast? Did anyone see it? Was it actually aired? I can't seem to find much info on it now. I'd be interested in seeing it now if was available somewhere.

#2 Nicholas Mueller

Nicholas Mueller

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

From Wikipedia~ "The 2009 Red Wings season will be the subject of a documentary called Minor League, to be aired on PBS and the Armed Forces Network in March 2010"

Edited by Nicholas Mueller, 08 March 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#3 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

Thanks for posting this! I too am interested to see if anything ever came of this documentary. There is virtually nothing on the topic online aside from articles previewing the show. At this point I'm guessing it never happened, or it was only broadcast locally in upstate New York.

#4 TwinsArmChairGM_Jon

TwinsArmChairGM_Jon

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:43 AM

That's what I was wondering too. If it ever was completed, it would be interesting to see it now with some more of those guys up on the Twins Roster. Just doesn't seem to be much information out there.

#5 TwinsArmChairGM_Jon

TwinsArmChairGM_Jon

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

I emailed Jim Mandalero, Red Wings beat writer in Rochester, about the documentary series, and he said that it was indeed completed. He said he didn't think it was very good (I think he compared it to a bad Ken Burns knockoff), but apparently it is out there somewhere. It's strange that there is so little information on it online.

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

I've talked to people too who have said it was really bad, plus so much of it was staged. For instance, there were several times when a player would get promoted, then the crew would find out and make them recreate the situation. I'm still trying to find it but haven't been able to.

#7 Neinstein

Neinstein

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:23 PM

I have also been curious about this series since filming had begun.
It looks like it had a very limited run.
Minor League Marathon | WXXI
"You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." [SIZE=2]​Albert Einstein[/SIZE]

#8 foe-of-nin

foe-of-nin

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

i remember trying to get it and seeing that through the local( to rochester) pbs affiliate you could buy the dvd set...don't know if that is still an option