Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Scott Baker Signs with Chicago Cubs

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

According to several sources (including MLB's), the Cubs have signed RHP Scott Baker to a one year contract. More information to come.

#2 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

Hmm, a one-year-deal?

I'd be surprised if the Cubs' offer was significantly more than the Twins were willing to give Baker. Sounds like Scott didn't want to come back as much as we thought.

#3 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

Well at least we won't have to worry about how the gamble on baker's recovery turns out.

#4 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

But wait. I thought the Twins had already signed him to a three-year deal?

#5 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

Evidently the Cubs didn't check with thrylos98's source.

#6 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

I'll be interested to see how much guaranteed money the got. I always liked Baker, but don't see him contributing until the second half of the season. I wonder how many real offers he received? If you are looking for a chance to prove yourself on a one year deal, I don't think I would pick the Cubs.

#7 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

Let the feverish re-writing of all the variations of "3 (4?) Easy Steps to 2013 Twins Rotation Bliss" posts begin.

#8 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,927 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

$5.5M for one-year, plus incentives for a guy who had TJ in April? And no option year?

You're welcome to him Theo. Congrats to Scotty's agent. (My guess is you'll be hearing from Colby Lewis shortly.)

#9 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Well, this is a little disappointing. I hope he does well with the Cubs. There are plenty of other pitching options available, so no harm. I think the Twins should offer a similar deal to Rich Harden. But, you know of course for less money and more "incentives"!

#10 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

I'll be interested to see how much guaranteed money the got. I always liked Baker, but don't see him contributing until the second half of the season. I wonder how many real offers he received? If you are looking for a chance to prove yourself on a one year deal, I don't think I would pick the Cubs.

face it we are the poor american leaque version of the cubs , hey nice job terry lyan

#11 SarasotaBill

SarasotaBill

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

Obviously this hurts.

Hopefully Ryan signs two legit FA SP and trade for another.

#12 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

Commence "but, but, but its only November...relax!" posts in 3...2...1

#13 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

Evidently the Cubs didn't check with thrylos98's source.

I heard talks broke down when Baker got wind of thrylos leaking inside information.

Seriously though, I'm bummed to hear that Baker left and even more bummed to hear that this is the going rate for pitching.

#14 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Obviously this hurts.

Hopefully Ryan signs two legit FA SP and trade for another.

terry(my lipps are moving)lyans? jaime moyer and kevin correia and then trades for kevin slowey ...see we can compete on the cheap , hey jippy do i get another bonus for reducing payroll?

#15 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

[quote name='Jeremy Nygaard'][quote name='Boom Boom'][quote name='Parker Hageman']But wait. I thought the Twins had already signed him to a three-year deal?[/QUOTE]

Evidently the Cubs didn't check with thrylos98's source.[/QUOTE]

I heard talks broke down when Baker got wind of thrylos leaking inside information.

Seriously though, I'm bummed to hear that Baker left and even more bummed to hear that this is the going rate for pitching.[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is going to be the conventional thing we'll see. One has to think the Cubs overpaid quite a bit to pry him away from the Twins, seeing as how much he liked it here. I really don't mind losing him. He's a huge question mark after TJ and the Twins are not in a position to gamble rotation wise.

#16 NoCryingInBaseball

NoCryingInBaseball

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Damn!...I was hoping he might come back with the Twins, even though he was returning from Tommy John. I agree with the Twins that $5.5 million was too much.

#17 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

$5.5M for one-year, plus incentives for a guy who had TJ in April? And now option year?

You're welcome to him Theo. Congrats to Scotty's agent.

I haven't seen anything that has said an option year. Plus, I don't see what that is so hard to accept as what is a normal deal in the MLB. Revenues have gone up and the cost of acquiring FA talent has gone up.

Roy Oswalt -- who was DOA in 2011 -- received a $5M contract with $1M in incentives to pitch from May onward of last year. Baker has a much higher upside if healthy and will likely be full strength by May or June. Not a bad deal for either side.

#18 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

[quote name='Jeremy Nygaard'][quote name='Boom Boom'][quote name='Parker Hageman']But wait. I thought the Twins had already signed him to a three-year deal?[/QUOTE]

Evidently the Cubs didn't check with thrylos98's source.[/QUOTE]

Seriously though, I'm bummed to hear that Baker left and even more bummed to hear that this is the going rate for pitching.[/QUOTE]

that acquiring pitching is going to be expensive, one way or another, should not be surprising to anyone.

Either pay the going rate, or accept that The Dedunos of the world will form a large part of the foreseeable rotation. Wishing it were not so isn't a strategy likely to work.

#19 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

Hey, relax. It's only November.

There you go, Chief.

#20 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,927 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

$5.5M for one-year, plus incentives for a guy who had TJ in April? And now option year?

You're welcome to him Theo. Congrats to Scotty's agent.

I haven't seen anything that has said an option year. Plus, I don't see what that is so hard to accept as what is a normal deal in the MLB. Revenues have gone up and the cost of acquiring FA talent has gone up.

Roy Oswalt -- who was DOA in 2011 -- received a $5M contract with $1M in incentives to pitch from May onward of last year. Baker has a much higher upside if healthy and will likely be full strength by May or June. Not a bad deal for either side.

I mistyped. I meant "no option year."

The market for Baker was set by the deal Colby Lewis took a few months ago. Lewis has had better years than Baker, is coming off a smaller injury and is more likely to be 100% when teh season starts. And he took a $2M + $4M in incentive. Baker got nearly that much guaranteed.

#21 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

Baker should do better in the NL. The frightening thing for the Twins isn't losing Baker but the cost of pitching. 5.5 + 1.5 in incentives for a guy coming off TJ? Who has one 200 ip season? Who is 31? I was hoping Marcum would come on a 1 yr 8m or so but, cripes, that's way low now.

Give the Cubs credit, they have money and aren't afraid to use it.

#22 Ex-Iowegian

Ex-Iowegian

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

Wow. That's a lot of jing for a guy fresh off of TJ.
And why would he be on the Cub's short list?

#23 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

I'm not a big fan of Baker so I won't lose sleep over this. Whatever Plan B is, though, I hope it's a good one.

#24 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

If it's 5.5 Million... Good Gravy... Let him go... Congrats to you Scott... Good Luck in Chicago... Still more FA options to consider and put a bid in for.

#25 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Lewis has had better years than Baker, is coming off a smaller injury and is more likely to be 100% when teh season starts. And he took a $2M + $4M in incentive. Baker got nearly that much guaranteed.

Two things:

(1) Lewis was already under team control when he sided his contract. Without competing against the free market, the Rangers were able to secure a discount.

(2) Lewis had TJ in July while Baker had it in April. I would say Baker has a much better chance of providing innings in 2012 than Lewis.

#26 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Baker should do better in the NL. The frightening thing for the Twins isn't losing Baker but the cost of pitching. 5.5 + 1.5 in incentives for a guy coming off TJ? Who has one 200 ip season? Who is 31? I was hoping Marcum would come on a 1 yr 8m or so but, cripes, that's way low now.

Give the Cubs credit, they have money and aren't afraid to use it.

My thoughts exactly. That is a lot of money for a guy that won't be ready to pitch in April. If we need three starters better than Baker, will any of them sign at a price less than $10 per year?

Granted, I'm sure Baker received a little more because it was a one year deal as apposed to a multi-year offer, but this could really be a bad sign for the costs of SP going forward. Perhaps Boras was correct, the new TV money will in fact be spent.

#27 sorney

sorney

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

D'oh! Congrats to him

#28 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,822 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Dang, that hurts.

#29 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Its not like Baker was stellar for us year in and year out. 2 good years in a 7 year career for the Twins. Not worth 5.5 million dollar for a guy coming off TJ.

#30 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

There's a reason why the Cubs remain "the Cubs". Good luck to Scott Baker.