Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Rick Anderson Retained for Baker Re-Sign?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

With Rick Anderson being the only Twins coach to retain his 2012 position, I wondered if his retention, aside from being a concession to Gardy, was also intended to make a re-signing with the Twins a decision with less uncertainty for Scott Baker. Thoughts?

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

I think it had more to do with Anderson still being under contract and the Twins unwillingness to pay a coach to walk away.

#3 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

I agree with Nick, Rick and Gardy are looked as a team. If one goes, they both go.

I think they would like to get Baker back for another year, just to see how he recovers, but I don't think it is a major part of the 2013 pitching strategy.

#4 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

If I remember correctly, Gardy and Rick Anderson go WAY back, like back to being roommates in AAA in the 80s. At the very least, they were both on the same team back then when they were trying to get to the majors. I think that is the bond that keeps Andy around, not one with Baker (unless Baker is his long lost son. :))

It's also worth noting, he did have some successes early in his tenure, even if we haven't seen much evidence lately.

#5 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

Logically, a baseball team wouldn't keep a pitching coach around just because he has a good relationship with a free agent pitcher they're trying to bring in.

I remember when the Twins signed Craig Monroe shortly after the 2007 season and it was speculated that he was brought in to try and convince Torii Hunter to stick around so he could play with his buddy. If that was the plan, it didn't work.

#6 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Now a moot point. Baker has signed with the Cubs.

#7 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

Now a moot point. Baker has signed with the Cubs.

Maybe he can take Anderson with him.

#8 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

Never mind. :)