Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Terry Ryan Confused?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

Is it just me or is Terry Ryan confused on his GM responsibilities? I know all teams need depth but enough of trying to turn Rochester into a winner and focus on signing someone with a pulse. Samuel Deduno, Esmerling Vasquez, Tim Wood and Eric Fryer? Maybe his next move will be talking Corey Koskie out of retirement to give Trevor Plouffe someone to challenge him...

#2 TwinsFanInPhilly

TwinsFanInPhilly

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

It's just you.

#3 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

It's the time of the season to also sign up AAAA guys. There are lots out there and only so many 40-man roster spots.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#4 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

So we should wait until December to sign a player who will be on the active roster?

#5 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

who has been signed by another team that you felt we missed? If TR spends all of his money in November, everyone will complain that he overpaid. He's been around the block a few times. He knows how the process works. Wait until he actually signs someone to the 40 man roster or misses out on a good player before you start to criticize his roster moves.

#6 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

who has been signed by another team that you felt we missed? If TR spends all of his money in November, everyone will complain that he overpaid. He's been around the block a few times. He knows how the process works. Wait until he actually signs someone to the 40 man roster or misses out on a good player before you start to criticize his roster moves.

So we wait and save our money and bottom feed for a couple of starters? Jason Marquis Part II?

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,584 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

So far, I believe that David Ross is the only big league free agent who has signed with a new team. I don't believe there have been any trades. Three months before spring training.

#8 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

Minor league FA don't cost much anyway. Since the operating agreement between Rochester and the Twins was recently renewed maybe there was a codicil to "improve" the Red Wings? There were a great many moves the last two years and that stresses the AAA team--they are a business too!--so improving Rochester may also improve the Twins as well.

#9 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

joe spencer a 24 year old reliever with a .315 era over 2 seasons and izturis,to solidify our middle infield

#10 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

So far, I believe that David Ross is the only big league free agent who has signed with a new team. I don't believe there have been any trades. Three months before spring training.

izturis?bartolo colon,the pitcher in seattle? ok so thats 3 a no mind like me can come up with

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

So offering the International league reliever of the year a spring training invite is a terrible move? The guy's likely not going to pan out but who cares? It's not like they actually decided on him instead of going after Dan Haren. I get frustrated too when I check MLB trade rumors and find the Twins have not made an exciting move yet, but then I slap myself because I remeber that it's only early November and no one exciting has signed anywhere.

#12 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

So offering the International league reliever of the year a spring training invite is a terrible move? The guy's likely not going to pan out but who cares? It's not like they actually decided on him instead of going after Dan Haren. I get frustrated too when I check MLB trade rumors and find the Twins have not made an exciting move yet, but then I slap myself because I remeber that it's only early November and no one exciting has signed anywhere.

read in another site that he can hit 98mph , dont know if its true was from another poster.
but about the only succses terry lyan had last year was sifting through the blue light special bargin bins , so maybe he can do it again, even though we need some front line pitchers any thing helps

#13 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,584 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

izturis?bartolo colon,the pitcher in seattle? ok so thats 3 a no mind like me can come up with

Alright... Not sure that I'd want Izturis at 3 years and $10 million. I know I wouldn't want Bartolo Colon for $3 million (with incentives up to $5 million). And, Iwakuma never became a free agent since he signed with the same team.

#14 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

Is it just me or is Terry Ryan confused on his GM responsibilities? I know all teams need depth but enough of trying to turn Rochester into a winner and focus on signing someone with a pulse. Samuel Deduno, Esmerling Vasquez, Tim Wood and Eric Fryer? Maybe his next move will be talking Corey Koskie out of retirement to give Trevor Plouffe someone to challenge him...

This has to be the most impatient post I have seen yet. Are you really complaining that Terry Ryan hasn't filled out the roster yet? Good grief, we aren't even to Thanksgiving yet.

Have you not read any of the reports that talk about all of the players he has been in contact with? Players have barely had the chance to decline qualifying offers. You realize we haven't even reached the winter meetings yet?

Take a Prozac and wait a few months...

#15 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,324 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

Overpaying early in free agency is what led to Matt Capps coming back for three times as much as what he should have gotten.

#16 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

This thread....wow, really?

Also I am a fan of both the moves so far, hard throwing bullpen guy, is intriguing and fryer gives us depth where maybe they won't resign butera?

#17 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

Dont have a problem with what Ryan is doing. Look how many times we had to go rochester for help last year

#18 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Dont have a problem with what Ryan is doing. Look how many times we had to go rochester for help last year

If they would have signed better pitchers they wouldn't have called up all those "quality" arms form Rochester. Obviously no decent pitcher is going to sign before Zach Greinke signs his deal. by looking at the free agent SP there are about 15-20 good starters to choose from and the Twins need to add 3 arms by either FA or trade. So I guess the best thing to do is sit back and do nothing until after the Winter meetings and then we can have another season of disappointment...

#19 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

"Fire the 3 stooges for signing someone other than Zach Greinke." I understand it has been a tough few years. But our attention span is so short. TR built a World Series contender. Did we forget that he didn't sign Johan Santana, he took him in the Rule 5. He made one of the most lopsided trades ever for Frankie Fastball and Joe Nathan. The guy knows what he is doing. I think that you are confused my friends. And by the way, I thought we weren't supposed to call people on the site and slander people. But this whole thread is meant to slam our GM.

#20 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

Overpaying early in free agency is what led to Matt Capps coming back for three times as much as what he should have gotten.

terry ryan offered all 3 free agents the largest pay cuts posible and only capps accepted...

#21 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

"Fire the 3 stooges for signing someone other than Zach Greinke." I understand it has been a tough few years. But our attention span is so short. TR built a World Series contender. Did we forget that he didn't sign Johan Santana, he took him in the Rule 5. He made one of the most lopsided trades ever for Frankie Fastball and Joe Nathan. The guy knows what he is doing. I think that you are confused my friends. And by the way, I thought we weren't supposed to call people on the site and slander people. But this whole thread is meant to slam our GM.

Picking nits a little here, but TR didn't select Santana in the Rule 5. The Astros did, then Ryan flipped Jared Camp (who?) for Santana. Still a great move though.

To the OP - it's not real exciting to sign minor league free agents, but you should wait until the Twins sign major league free agents to be bothered by it. Every team is signing minor league free agents, we just never hear it because even in those other teams' markets it's not a big story.

#22 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

If they would have signed better pitchers they wouldn't have called up all those "quality" arms form Rochester. Obviously no decent pitcher is going to sign before Zach Greinke signs his deal. by looking at the free agent SP there are about 15-20 good starters to choose from and the Twins need to add 3 arms by either FA or trade. So I guess the best thing to do is sit back and do nothing until after the Winter meetings and then we can have another season of disappointment...

Holy Overreaction. Its not even Thanksgiving. While they dip into rochester because of ineffectiveness, they also had to replace Pavano, Baker, and Capps all during the season. Not one good or even decent pitcher has signed anywhere. The winter meetings haven't even started and that is where a lot of trades and signings happen.

#23 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

loopsided trade? really a young proven allstar catcher for a "-# starter and boof and frankie?
lets not forget aj had just hit .300 or was it only.298 , he has power, he is very good behind the plate and he is left handed...personally i think terry lyan made 1 lucky trade as he claimed boof was the key player in the traded...another soft tossing controll pitcher,

#24 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

All trades have a certain amount of luck to them. I dont think he ever claimed Boof was key to the trade. I believe that was Nathan, as Liriano was basically a throw in if i remember correctly. But i do agree, Ryan needs to get something done. I cautiously optimistic because i dont remember hearing this much chatter about FA's and trades in awhile

#25 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

The Twins had 19 minor league guys elect free agency (not counting guys that re-signed). So at the minimum the Twins will probably at least replace those guys.

No-hit Eric Fryer will replace one of the no-hit catchers (Rivera or Towles) that left. Wood will solidify the Red Wings bullpen, if he can't break camp with the big club.

I do find it a little interesting that these moves are being announced now, leaving these guys exposed for the Rule V draft (not that it should really matter), but typically the "Spring Training Invites" aren't announced until later. The Twins signed R.A. Dickey to a minor-league contract early in the offseason a few years ago and promptly lost him to the Mariners in the Rule V draft.

I won't overreact unless the Twins announce a signing of a "who's that?" to a Major League deal... there are still eight open 40-man spots.

#26 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

I can understand the frustration - it seems like the big moves should happen first and the little moves later. If Ryan could choose, I'm sure that's what he would prefer.

But that's not the way the timing of the offseason is. The big free agents get a sense of what their market is now. They don't sign unless they get an offer they can't refuse, or blows away their expectations. Meanwhile, there are a lot of minor league free agents who are antsy - they want a shot next year and preferably in an organization where they have a decent path to the majors.

I'm guessing both Fryer and Wood fall into that category. Wood (or his agent) know that they Twins called up a bunch of relievers last year for a shot. Fryer looks at the depth chart and sees Drew Butera as his competition. Thus, quick signings.

#27 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,324 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

terry ryan offered all 3 free agents the largest pay cuts posible and only capps accepted...

What? There are no pay cut restrictions on free agents.

#28 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

What? There are no pay cut restrictions on free agents.

I really think that one of the Leeds soccer guys is still mad at the Twins for using their song. A new way to attack a site.

#29 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

I won't be worried about Ryan is doing (or not) until good starting pitchers start coming off the market (or an available SS is acquired by someone for what the Twins could have done). Nothing real has happened for any team yet.
Lighten up Francis....

#30 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

So we wait and save our money and bottom feed for a couple of starters? Jason Marquis Part II?

It's what we do