Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Cosmetic Changes at TF

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 drbob524

drbob524

• 159 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:05 AM

I went down to Target Field with the family this weekend (got some Glam Doll donuts and played on the grass by the LRT station for my birthday, we really miss baseball...) and I noticed a few things that hadn't been publicized before (as far as I know). 

1. Large banners have been placed outside for the Senators pennants (2 AL and 1 WS)

2. "The Catch" seems to have a new Corporate-overload name 

PS sorry for the rotation of the photos, cant figure out how to have them correct when they attach

IMG_1755.jpg
IMG_1752.jpg
IMG_1751.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1755.jpg
  • IMG_1752.jpg
  • IMG_1751.jpg
  • Sconnie and operation mindcrime like this

#2 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,097 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:04 PM

Good recon soldier!
  • nclahammer and operation mindcrime like this

#3 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 921 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:20 PM

I feel like there was an unpublicized directive in the Twins corporate office to slowly merge the Senators and Twins histories. It seems up until a few years ago they were clearly separate histories and record books, at least from the Twins' perspective. I heard that the new Senators franchise honors legendary Senators/Twins, which is odd to me because they used to be the Expos.
  • Sconnie, DocBauer and nclahammer like this

#4 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,162 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:45 PM

I feel like there was an unpublicized directive in the Twins corporate office to slowly merge the Senators and Twins histories. It seems up until a few years ago they were clearly separate histories and record books, at least from the Twins' perspective. I heard that the new Senators franchise honors legendary Senators/Twins, which is odd to me because they used to be the Expos.

I was at Nationals Park a few years ago and they have stuff commemorating both the Expos and the Twins.

• drbob524, DocBauer and nclahammer like this

#5 drbob524

drbob524

• 159 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 05:56 AM

I was at Nationals Park a few years ago and they have stuff commemorating both the Expos and the Twins.

Same, I was there in 2018, and it bugged me they had both (they may have had some of the Senators/Rangers franchise too, but who cares about them). You dont get to claim any team that ever played in your city. It doesnt work that way, especially if those teams are still playing.

• DocBauer likes this

#6 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 921 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:27 AM

Same, I was there in 2018, and it bugged me they had both (they may have had some of the Senators/Rangers franchise too, but who cares about them). You dont get to claim any team that ever played in your city. It doesnt work that way, especially if those teams are still playing.

Right. That would be the same as the Timberwolves franchise celebrating Minneapolis Lakers greats and those titles. It is silly since the Lakers still exist. Or, even sillier, the Mets honoring the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants history.
  • DocBauer likes this

#7 WallySzczerbiak

WallySzczerbiak

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 12:44 PM

Right. That would be the same as the Timberwolves franchise celebrating Minneapolis Lakers greats and those titles. It is silly since the Lakers still exist. Or, even sillier, the Mets honoring the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants history.

There is a George Mikan statue in the Target Center lobby and a Minneapolis Lakers banner in the rafters.

• ashbury and DocBauer like this

#8 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,873 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:20 PM

There is a George Mikan statue in the Target Center lobby and a Minneapolis Lakers banner in the rafters.

Mikan should be honored for his accomplishments

#9 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,527 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:57 PM

Paying homage to teams and players from your city seems appropriate to me. But claiming championships or records shoukd never take place. THOSE Senators of the past turned in to the Twins. Period.

I believe, off the subject somewhat, that the NFL Colts carried their history to Indianapolis, along with everything else they packed up in their moving trucks. (Ick).

I always respected how the Browns, even with their temporary hiatus from the league, was allowed to STAY the Browns with all of their history.

What I have always hated was the Houston team moving and keeping their colors and the new team calling themselves the Texans. (Confession, I was a HUGE Oilers fan as a kid as my second favorite team). The Texans became the Chiefs. So to re-name a "new" team after an old team has always bothered me. No hate, but the Houston team should be the Oilers with their history and colors.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#10 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,882 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:02 PM

A team is free to honor whomever they wish to honor in whatever way they choose. I think it's totally appropriate and cool for the Nationals to recognize the history of the Expos and the history of both Washington Senators teams since all three franchises contributed to the history of baseball there. I haven't seen the display referred to in the above comments so I don't know exactly how far that goes, but I will agree that it would seem odd to me to commemorate the Twins and the Rangers. I don't think it's anything to be angry or resentful about, though.

• Longdistancetwins, nclahammer and WallySzczerbiak like this

#11 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,527 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:03 PM

I also think it's very cool for the Twins to acknowledge their history. One of the benefits of this cluster that is 2020 is TD has taken time to reflect on Twins history. Some of it I know as a fan, some of it...60's and early 70's I don't, or know from my father...and it's great to visit the history of our beloved franchise.
  • Sconnie likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#12 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,638 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:35 PM

Probably a precursor to marketing 2024 as a 100 Anniversary celebration year.
  • jctwins likes this