Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2020 will be an asterisk, lets make it a wild one

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 470 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:17 PM

There is no way 2020 will resemble a normal baseball season. Half the games, half the divisions, changing the rules, changing the playoff landscape, no fans, changing how umps/player/coaches interact, how can we call that another baseball season?How can we call the 2020 champ just as important as other season winners like the 2017 Astros?

Since there isn't a way to redeem the season, lets make it a once in a lifetime event. I'm thinking a very short season to establish seeding, then we do a full 30 team playoff.Have all the games on a small tropical island or something, get weird with it and make the best out of what is already a lost cause.  

I won't take the results of whatever they manage to put together this season seriously anyway.Just make it as entertaining as possible. What are your ideas for an alternate baseball season?

• nicksaviking likes this

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,744 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 05:38 PM

I’m up for all kinds of innovation.

But if half of the season was playoffs and teams were eliminated at irregular intervals, that would have people talking. It could be all kinds of fun.

Though I’m sure MLB would be most concerned with the Yankees getting knocked out with a month or two left to play.

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:43 AM

I've been watching the show "Alone" on History channel lately. Since the players and owners continue to fight over money, here's an idea. 

Send the owner and one player representative to the wilderness. The owner and player rep have to survive as long as they can on their own. The last person to tap out wins 100% of the team's revenue. 

• nicksaviking and jamisea like this

#4 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,259 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:57 AM

I'm thinking more and more that this thing just won't happen. And if it does, it's going to be a failed experiment. Pretty bummed.

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,744 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 03:07 PM

I've been watching the show "Alone" on History channel lately. Since the players and owners continue to fight over money, here's an idea. 

Send the owner and one player representative to the wilderness. The owner and player rep have to survive as long as they can on their own. The last person to tap out wins 100% of the team's revenue. 

This sounds slightly different than Naked and Afraid. Are we sure we all couldn't benefit more if Jim Pohlad and Willians Astudillo did that instead?

• DocBauer and Vanimal46 like this

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 May 2020 - 03:35 PM

This sounds slightly different than Naked and Afraid. Are we sure we all couldn't benefit more if Jim Pohlad and Willians Astudillo did that instead?

If Astudillo knows how to start a fire and fish, he’s got a big head start! Now I’m starting to think which Twins player would perform the best on his own in the wilderness?
  • nicksaviking likes this

#7 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,539 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 05:03 PM

First of all, if the Twins win the whole thing, you better believe I'm counting it!!

Secondly, I don't buy all 30 teams involved. You still have a partial season for a buy in. Maybe 12-14 teams. The playoffs and WS are played at the neutral site of Hawaii. No weather issues, presumably. Then MLB and the owners have an NBA pingpong ball raffle for fans of each team's highest prolific website for a trip for 2, or a couple trips considering the length of the competition. The balls would be weighted for years of blogging, numbers of posts, and rewarded for less or zero numbers or warning points.

We get our ultimate champion, MLB looks warm and fuzzy, and there are real fans in the stands!
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#8 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 503 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:43 AM

As I have posted in another thread, 2020, if played at all, will be a glorified Grapefruit season. No stats, team or individual, should count in MLB stats and teams will inevitably use the games as a chance to give rookies and other players on the bubble some game time experience and in no way risk the health of players like Byron Buxton. The team that benefits the most? Wouldn't it of course be those New York Yankees who were about to start 2020 with several key players on the DL again. Now Stanton, Judge and others have a full year to heal and probably will see hardly any pt in 2020 with no penalty whatsoever. look for a bunch of teams around the .500 w-l mark and who will care?