Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

RA Dickey

minnesota twins ra dickey trades
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

The Mets are shopping him since they are far apart in extension talks.

Not sure what the asking price would be, but it could be somewhat high seeing how he is on a very friendly contract next season (just 5 mil). He could be a trade target possibly, but would be way about giving him anything more then a 2-3 year extension if we do so. The Mets literally need everything, so 2-3 solid prospects could get it done.

Thoughts?

#2 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

I would, but the Twins will not, is my guess.

#3 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Damn my imagination.

The Mets are suddenly a team strapped for cash, looking for outfielders and open to trading RA Dickey. While Dickey is 38 years old, he's also a decent bet to age well, struck out 9 per 9 last year and has thrown 440 innings over the last two years with a 2.99 ERA. So here are the questions that spring to mind....

1. Who would you trade for him? Span? Willingham? Hicks? Arcia?
2. Would it require him aggreeing to a contract extenstion to complete the deal? (He's a free agent next year)
3. This forum seems to be opposed to acquiring anyone who is, well, about the age of a lot of guys on this forum. But is Dickey the exception?

#4 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

I would get him, yes. He shows no sign of decline. I would trade Span for him in a second.

#5 sorney

sorney

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

Trade for him and sign him

#6 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

I'd trade a guy like Arcia or Revere for him but not Span, Willingham or are other top prospects. The thought of betting on a knuckleballer frightens me.

#7 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

Already a thread :)

#8 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

Sorry Dave. I missed it. I've merged the threads. (Hope I did it right.)

I find it interesting that people are interested in Dickey but not interested in Dempster.

#9 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

Sorry Dave. I missed it. I've merged the threads. (Hope I did it right.)

I find it interesting that people are interested in Dickey but not interested in Dempster.

No worries. I am actually interested in both (at the right price), however I think Dickey has a significantly higher upside, and on a personal note seems like a really awesome guy to root for.

#10 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

I'd take Dickey in a heartbeat. He's got an amazing story, a true class act, and arguably the best pitcher in the NL last year. While it'd be nice if he were a decade younger, I'd take 38 year old Dickey over a 34+ year old "traditional" style 4th or 5th string starter

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

the quesiton I'd ask is whether a kunckleballer is like a sinker baller where they can suddenly forget their pitch.

#12 rogrulz30

rogrulz30

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

I would be much more inclined to get Dickey than Dempster, I am one who is against the aging types, but a team friendly contract in a pitcher friendly park, not too injury prone, I would be in favor of having him.

#13 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

Um, if Dickey would sign a team friendly deal, he would be signed. He is one of the most effective pitchers in the game, he will be expensive.

#14 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

I'm interested, but would feel better about surrendering one of our top prospects if we can get Dickey and sign him for more than just 2013.
Don't get me wrong, he'd be a great addition to the rotation (well, Dickey and Diamond would be the rotation right now), but I'm not in favor of giving up one of our top 10 prospects for one year of good (or even great) pitching from one pitcher. It would be one thing if this team was just 1 above-average pitcher away from competing, but we all know that's not the case.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#15 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

I'm interested, but would feel better about surrendering one of our top prospects if we can get Dickey and sign him for more than just 2013.
Don't get me wrong, he'd be a great addition to the rotation (well, Dickey and Diamond would be the rotation right now), but I'm not in favor of giving up one of our top 10 prospects for one year of good (or even great) pitching from one pitcher. It would be one thing if this team was just 1 above-average pitcher away from competing, but we all know that's not the case.

I would gladly give up any of our 7-10 prospects for one great year from Dickey. So would any other team in baseball.

#16 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

I would gladly give up any of our 7-10 prospects for one great year from Dickey. So would any other team in baseball.

I guess my question would be, where does that get us? If this is part of a major rotation re-vamp, and the Twins legitimately expect to contend with the Tigers next season, then sure. Count me in by all means.

But if 2013 is going to be rebuilding under the guise of fielding a somewhat decent team -- which I guess I'm sort of resigned to believing, and am actually somewhat OK with for this year only -- then I'm not sure that getting an extra 8-10 wins (or whatever difference Dickey might provide) for just 1 season does it for me, regardless of how those #7-10 prospects eventually pan out.

Edited by Twins Fan From Afar, 09 November 2012 - 02:14 PM.

Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#17 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

[quote name='Twins Fan From Afar'][quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave'][quote name='Twins Fan From Afar']I'm interested, but would feel better about surrendering one of our top prospects if we can get Dickey and sign him for more than just 2013.
Don't get me wrong, he'd be a great addition to the rotation (well, Dickey and Diamond would be the rotation right now), but I'm not in favor of giving up one of our top 10 prospects for one year of good (or even great) pitching from one pitcher. It would be one thing if this team was just 1 above-average pitcher away from competing, but we all know that's not the case.[/QUOTE]

I would gladly give up any of our 7-10 prospects for one great year from Dickey. So would any other team in baseball.[/QUOTE]

I guess my question would be, where does that get us? If this is part of a major rotation re-vamp, and the Twins legitimately expect to contend with the Tigers next season, then sure. Count me in by all means.

But if 2013 is going to be rebuilding under the guise of fielding a somewhat decent team -- which I guess I'm sort of resigned to believing, and am actually somewhat OK with for this year only -- then I'm not sure that getting an extra 8-10 wins (or whatever difference Dickey might provide) for just 1 season does it for me, regardless of how those #7-10 prospects eventually pan out.[/QUOTE]

Scenarios:

-The Twins are good, in addition to adding Dickey they are able to add another 2 pitchers from Free Agency since Dickey only costs 5 mil.
-The Twins suck and the Twins are able to flip Dickey at the Deadline for a nice package.
-The Twins are decent, but miss the playoffs, they hold onto Dickey for the year and then lose him at the end of the season. (But get a draft pick in return)
-Any of the Scenarios above but they manage to sign Dickey to an extension.

Again I'm not saying trade any of our top prospects, but any of the 7-10 is a no brainer. And if we could get an extension worked out with him (prior to completion of the trade) I wouldn't have a big issue tossing in a guy like Arcia as well.

#18 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

I'm not entirely sold on the idea but Dickey's contract shouldn't be viewed too negatively. If he's mediocre, you can probably re-sign him. If he's good, you can make a qualifying offer and take the pick. If he's bad, well... sometimes, you just run into crap luck.

#19 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

I'm not entirely sold on the idea but Dickey's contract shouldn't be viewed too negatively. If he's mediocre, you can probably re-sign him. If he's good, you can make a qualifying offer and take the pick. If he's bad, well... sometimes, you just run into crap luck.

There is nothing to suggest that he will be anything but good.

In his last 3 years he has a 2.95 ERA, and showed improvement last year quite a bit.

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

There is nothing to suggest that he will be anything but good.

In his last 3 years he has a 2.95 ERA, and showed improvement last year quite a bit.

I wasn't trying to predict Dickey's performance... Just stating that no matter what happens (outside of a catastrophic injury), the Twins wouldn't be hurting too badly from the trade (unless they gave up the farm to get him, a near impossibility with JR as GM).

#21 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

It would be embarrassing to trade any top prospects for a guy we gave up on not too long ago.

#22 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Why would that be embarrassing?

#23 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,918 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Why would that be embarrassing?

Because the Twins gave up on him not too long ago, and now they'd be trading top prospects for the guy.

#24 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

You know whats more embarrassing? The Twins 2012 rotation.

#25 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,309 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

The Twins cannot trade for Dickey without firing GardynAndy. That simple. Same reason that they will not go after Lohse or Garza or anyone else the duo let go.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#26 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

The Twins cannot trade for Dickey without firing GardynAndy. That simple. Same reason that they will not go after Lohse or Garza or anyone else the duo let go.

Give me a break. Lohse are Garza were let go due to some clashes with the staff (I think Garza's were well overblown, and he was traded for what they thought was an impact bat when they were somewhat pitching heavy)

Dickey was let go because he just wasn't that good,nor was he that good until he mastered the knuckle-ball (on his own), it was never a management/player issue.

#27 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

Another good fit for the Twins. He was ok while he was here, but they didn't feel comfortable with him in the starting rotation (for some reason).

There is no reason to believe that Dickey doesn't haver at least 5 more decent years left. Knuckleballers tend to age better than just about anybody (except NFL placekickers).

#28 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,309 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

. Knuckleballers tend to age better than just about anybody (except NFL placekickers).

well... I got 2 words about that statement. (and it hurts) : Gary Anderson
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#29 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

. Knuckleballers tend to age better than just about anybody (except NFL placekickers).

well... I got 2 words about that statement. (and it hurts) : Gary Anderson

Ouch. The guy misses one kick all year...

#30 E. Andrew

E. Andrew

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

It would be embarrassing to trade any top prospects for a guy we gave up on not too long ago.

See Carl Pavano - - New York Yankees. They weren't embarrassed to chase him again.

In any average year til 2010 I'd have traded a solid prospect for Dickey. But with this team, no. We could be moving a guy that could be part of a winning core 2-3 years from now.

Plus, there's less pressure for him to pitch well in MN than there is/was in NY, and his injury risk shoots up every year. I don't expect him to follow-up well, especially two seasons out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, ra dickey, trades