Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Zulgad: Is MLB really making return about dollars and cents?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,945 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted Yesterday, 10:09 AM

For employees, union dues are not "paying for something they already get for free". It's more like insurance premiums or attorney's fees than anything else. The purpose of a collective bargaining agreement is not to punish anyone. CBA's are simply the spelling out of provisions agreed to by both sides and of action to be taken if either side does not abide by the agreement. It benefits both management and employees to have this in place.

agreed, just like attorneys fees and insurance premiums.

Workers enter into CBAs because they have to, because the employers didn’t abide by their agreement, just like hiring a lawyer to sue someone who didn’t abide by their agreement.

If I agree to sell a car to you for $5, and then change the price to $6, I acted in bad faith and you have the right to sue me. If I’m an employer and I act in bad faith, you can sue me individually or you can organize to enforce contractual agreement.

If I offer to sell you a car for $5, and you hand me the $5 and I hand you the keys and title, why would you hire a lawyer?

Why did the players enter into a CBA with the league? Because the players never were allowed free agency or received raises from the early 1900s to the 1960s. The owners acted in bad faith and the union worked as it was supposed to.

#82 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,577 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:38 PM

I love statements like “players earn millions for playing a game”. That isn’t true.

They are paid millions because their unique skill allows them to generate millions and billions in revenue. Just like the unique skill of Bill Gates to see the demand for his products and services have earned him billions.

People in a free market society are compensated based on the revenue they produce with their labor input.
  • Sconnie, Platoon and Nine of twelve like this

#83 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,837 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:30 PM

If organizations treated their employees the way they should, fair pay, fair hours, quality and safe work environment, etc, then why would workers choose to forego a portion of their pay in union dues? Why would they pay for something they already get for free?

Pretty pie in the sky expectations.Not that it can't happen, not to say it doesn't happen in small groups. Look at history, It was rarely true

• Sconnie and Nine of twelve like this

#84 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,945 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted Yesterday, 07:42 PM

Pretty pie in the sky expectations. Not that it can't happen, not to say it doesn't happen in small groups. Look at history, It was rarely true

There is a reason labor organizes, no?

But I believe part of the decline in unionization in the private sector is due to greater mobility. If people don’t like how their employer treats them, they leave. Therefore employers have been forced by competition to provide better, pay, environment, benefits, etc to attract and retain workers.

Where this doesn’t/hasn’t worked, is Monopsony and Cartels (like sports). There’s no where else for the workers to go. They have no real choice but to abide by the rules of the owners and league.